12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Can someone help me understand how to record my TD27 into S1? I dont understand how the I/O works assigning the inputs and outs.
looked for videos but none have S1 as the DAW.
Thanks

2019 iMac 20" OSX Catalina, 16G ram 2TB SSD Studio One 5.4 Sphere. Roland TD27 edrums (used as Audio Interface) Mackie ProFX8 mixer.
by Jemusic on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:31 pm
Firstly a special Roland TD27 USB driver needs to be installed on your computer.

You need to create a complete set of INPUT/OUTPUT settings for this as an audio input source in Studio One. (See Studio One manual) Once done this IN/OUT setup needs to be saved as well eg exported so it can easily be imported again if need be.

Studio One needs to have this as the audio interface eg it needs to be selected in the AUDIO settings of your preferences.

The TD27 also needs some settings changed on the USB page in order for it to send audio out over the USB port.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jakeadams5 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm
Thanks
I have the driver installed, I have the settings on the TD27 changed on the USB page,(set to vendor) preferences are set to TD27 The complete set of Ins and outs is what I dont understand.
Thanks

2019 iMac 20" OSX Catalina, 16G ram 2TB SSD Studio One 5.4 Sphere. Roland TD27 edrums (used as Audio Interface) Mackie ProFX8 mixer.
by Jemusic on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:59 pm
In your specs you should include what version of Studio One you are using. In the manual check Audio Device Input Output setup

Go to Youtube and key in Studio One Audio Device Input Output Setup:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tput+setup

Tons of videos here on how to do it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jakeadams5 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:28 pm
Im using 5.4 but none of these show how exactly how to setup specifically with the TD27. I need that.But thatnks for your help.Much appreciated

by Jemusic on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm
None of them will be specific to the TD27. Its the basic principle that counts. Across the top on the INPUTS page horizontally you should be seeing the 28 outputs from the TD27.

Down vertically you add stereo pairs or mono inputs or both. I think the TD27 likes to send things in stereo pairs which would make it a little easier. You can name these yourself to suit what the output assignments are from the TD27. Then when you create audio tracks (stereo) you will have all those as input source options.

Then you click in the little boxes to the right to engage the inputs and then click Apply and OK. The little boxes in the matrix to the right should turn blue.

Once you get all that done you export the setup as a backup.

The OUTPUTS page also needs to be setup so you can playback from the TD27 into your studio etc..

by jakeadams5 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:46 pm
Ok Ive done that and I get no audio when I record. I have the local control on the TD27 to on. I can hear it through my mixer but it doesnt record nor does anything show up in the track. No level meters are showing any input

by Jemusic on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:45 pm
When you go tour options (preferences) settings and select AUDIO right up the top you need to make sure the TD27 is selected there.

Also run the Audio/Midi utility in your applications/utilities folder to ensure the TD27 is actually shown there. If it not there then it ain't nowhere.

by daronkeogh on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:32 pm
jakeadams5 wroteOk Ive done that and I get no audio when I record. I have the local control on the TD27 to on. I can hear it through my mixer but it doesnt record nor does anything show up in the track. No level meters are showing any input

Did you manage to get the drum recording going? Maybe you just gave up? I tried to do the exact same thing as you and experienced the same problems. Problems and headaches at every turn! You would think that once the drums are plugged in via USB that the 14/28 channels of the TD-27 would be automatically detected by S1 and added to the new song once the track input source is selected. Even though the TD-27 has been set up (added) as an external device (a new keyboard was tried but I do not want it to be midi. The TD-27 was also selected as input, and it is confusing as to what if any output should be) and is selected when the new Song is selected I have to tell the track there are14 inputs but they do not come assigned to the kick, snare etc and then the input source disappears so0 we cannot even set up the IO because then it only shows windows audio with two input channels.

Additionally, if the TD-27 had individual outputs that would be easy or if the e-drums could be set up as an interface in S1 that would be nice too. And because we want to record bass, guitar and vocals too we need a second interface connected. Mine is a 1824c.

Any suggestions/advice?
by Tacman7 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Depends on how you want to use your drums.

Many record the midi of their playing, then get it tweaked just right then bounce it to audio.

When you use USBaudio from a device, you don't add it to your interface, it is the interface and nothing else can be used.

One audio device at a time.

Check out this article:

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how-to-r ... 27-v-drums

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 pm
It needs a bit of work in S1 too. In there the TD-27 sound module will show up as an audio device with 28 inputs and 4 outputs. The inputs are: Master (1/2), Direct 1-2 (3/4), Kick (5/6), Snare (7/8), Tom 1 (9/10), Tom 2 (11/12), Tom 3 (13/14), Hi-Hat (15/16), Crash 1 (17/18), Crash 2 (19/20), Ride (21/22), Aux 1 (23/24), Aux 2 (25/26) and Aux 3 (27/28). The outputs are: Main (1/2) and Sub (3/4). You need all these details to set things up.

To set things up and create a template for the TD-27 in S1:
- Install the TD-27 usb driver and connect the sound module to your computer
- Start S1 and select the sound module as your audio device for playback and recording
- Create a new empty song and open the I/O setup window (Song > Song Setup > Audio I/O Setup tab)
- Starting on the inputs tab add 14 stereo channels for the 28 inputs, name them and link them to the appropriate TD-27 inputs. Then hit ‘Apply’
- Proceed to the outputs tab, add stereo channels for Main (might be there already) and Sub and link them to the appropriate TD-27 outputs. Hit ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’
- Add mono/stereo tracks (Track > Add Audio Track…) for all the drumkit pieces, naming them and linking them to the appropriate inputs as you go along
- Optionally add further tracks for the remaining TD-27 inputs if you want to record those too
- Save the song as a template (File > Save as Template…)

That will set up the basics. You may want to refine the template later on (track colours, arm all tracks for recording, set up a basic main mix to return to the TD-27 sound module, …).
by horstmoshroom on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:52 pm
Hi there,
for recording the separat audio channels over usb,
- it has to be the audio interface.
That means also, that S1 will playback his master output into the TD-27,
- headphones or speaker have to be connected to TD-27.

If the audio interface settings, I/O, in S1 are set,
the channel inputs in S1 can be choosen to: (image shows the output channels from TD-27!)
USB_audio_output_destination_settings_TD-27_Reference_eng01_W pdf.png
image from manual here: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TD-27_Reference_eng01_W.pdf#TD-27_Reference_eng.indd%3A.201852%3A59132

Setting can be done in: Options --> audio interface --> inputs
if not there, insert these 14 new stereo input channels.
Output has to be checkt, ch 1-2 to TD-27 would be the choise.

Then,
- Insert 14 stereo audio tracks and assign the input on mixer, per stereo channel.
- Press record and listen buttons on all track and start the recording.

But,
- in that setup NO second audio interface for playback or redording possible, it's for a one man show! :)

S1 Audio Device Input/Output Setup in manual
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Studio_One_5.5_Reference_Manual_EN_11012022.pdf#%5B%7B%22num%22%3A69%2C%22gen%22%3A0%7D%2C%7B%22name%22%3A%22XYZ%22%7D%2C60%2C551.64%2C0%5D

Easy made, hard described.

Here is my setup using midi:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=278405#p278405

Good luck,
Tino

12 posts
Page 1 of 1