9 posts
Page 1 of 1
ok here is what i want to do
i want to have several instances of pigments running...just using the arpeggiator as midi out.....i want to route these midi notes into one instrument track......eg a guitar sound....how?

as i write this im wondering if bluecats patchwork might do it??

windows 10 64 bit i7 32 gig RAM
ssd samsung c drive
raid 2 data drive 4 TB
presonus studiolive 16
studio one 4
notion
by Jemusic on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:59 pm
Its very easy to do and you do not need any external software to do it either. You start by inserting Pigments onto an Instrument track. The trick here is to turn OFF the synth engine part of Pigments. But you will need to turn the Seq or ARP engine ON though.

Then you insert the synth that you want to hear onto a second Instrument track. When you examine what the input sources are listed, instead of ALL INPUTS or your controller being selected here you select Pigments as the source. Now your second synth will pick up the midi output from Pigments.

The sequencer wont run in Pigments until you press a key from your controller. But when you do press a key the second synth you do will play.

Here is a rather interesting video by Venus Theory on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rSIbJ696U&t=17s

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by johnbliss on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 pm
thanks jemusic for the reply....i guess i should have been clearer....i understand the concept of running pigments just as arp or sequencer, also routing to anothe instrument in a track.....my issue is having 4 pigments running into just one midi instrument..?? in studio one this is not possible i think
by Jemusic on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 am
Yes I think you may be right. In that video link I posted he managed to do it but BitWig may allow multiple midi sources to merge and feed the one instrument. You could get double triggered notes from multiple sequencers which might cause issues.

I guess the next best thing is put the same virtual instrument with the same preset for each of the Pigments you are running. That way you will still hear the same thing and they wont clash either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:32 am
You could use Direct Input to listen to four sources on the instrument, then create four tracks with no instrument to simply record the midi.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:15 pm
I could do it externally as well. Be sending each Pigment instance out to a separate midi port on my midi interface. I have a Roland A880 midi patcher/switcher which also merges all the inputs so I could merge them that way and then send the result back into Studio One. There could be a lot of double notes triggering things though and it could get confusing too.

I would have thought a separate and different virtual instrument on each Pigment output would sound rather good and interesting too. Plus there would not be any note clashes etc..

by johnbliss on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:12 pm
thnx all for the replies...plenty of food for thought there...appreciated

windows 10 64 bit i7 32 gig RAM
ssd samsung c drive
raid 2 data drive 4 TB
presonus studiolive 16
studio one 4
notion
by Tacman7 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:01 pm
Bounce the 4 versions and play them all together, or put all the midi in one event.

It would sound the same as if you could do what you want.

So you could hear if you like it.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 pm
There are a few options. I found even using one version of Pigments with just the sequencer and arp alone is pretty awesome in terms of what it can do. Its time well spent just getting to know what one Pigments sequencer can do.

Multiple Pigments instances could also feed Instrument tracks and their own individual synths. Those Pigments sequencers can also trigger their own internal sounds too of course or feed a different virtual synth. Or both!

Try using the Pigments sequencer in conjunction with the Studio One midi effects or/and the internal sequencers and arps that most virtual synths provide. It starts to get very complicated after a while.

Midi can be recorded as mentioned here and edited too.

The advantage is not only hearing different patches but panning and effects processing over all of them which would result in a very complex sound from just one midi input eg a triad chord.

Each instance of Pigments will eat up a bit of CPU as well. Rendering everything to audio as well prior to mixing will more than likely be required.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1