8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a pair of JBL LSR305 monitors, and a JBL LSR2310S subwoofer as well as a set of Roland MA-15D monitors as my secondary monitors, all controlled/routed via my original Mackie Big Knob but there is nothing on the Big Knob to allow crossover settings adjustments.

How can I setup a crossover to handle sending anything under 80Hz to my sub. Currently the monitors sound "ok" but I how do I insure they are not handling frequencies I don't want them to? All rack crossovers I've seen say they are for live sound rigs not studio.

Thanks

S1 4.6 Pro / Win 10 Pro 64 / ASUS Z97-A / Intel i5-4670K 3.4 GHz / G.SKILL 32GB DDR3 / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Syba Firewire PCI-e / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, OctoPre MkII Dynamic, ISA One Analog, ISA One Digital / Presonus TubePre & FaderPort / JBL LSR305 & Roland MA-15D Monitors, JBL 2310SP Subwoofer / Mackie Big Knob / ART HeadAmp6Pro / Behringer Ha400 / Various Headphones / AOC 29" 21:9 Ultrawide / CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Mobile: Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G / i5-6200U 2.30 GHz / 32GB DDR4 / Win 10 64 / Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen / KAT Multipad / Nektar Panorama P6
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am
Are you using the sub for both sets of speakers, or just the JBL pair?

If usding the sub for one set of speakers, the audio output from the Mackie will go into the sub first, then from the sub to the upper speakers. Crossover is handled on the sub.

If you use one sub for 2 sets of speakers, it becomes more of a manual process. Not sure of the capabilities of the Mackie, but Ill explain using the Presonus Central Station. With Presonus speaker mgmnt, the sub gets set up on its own output (C). There is a config that will allow pair C to be on/off, and Outputs A and B can be toggled. In this i9nstance you have to set all the crossover points for each set of speakers and the sub. Most studio monitors have these settings to allow the crossover to be set on each speaker.

The reason most crossovers are listed for live use is most likely in the circuitry. They may not be "clean" enough for studio work.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by garybowling on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm
Check out miniDSP. They offer not only a way to separate out your subs, but also provide room correction. The DiracLive versions are especially nice.

There have been reports that their internal A/D conversion isn't as great as it could be. For that reason I use the DDRC-88D, which is an all-digital version and then use external A/D conversion.

My interface has digital outputs, so that goes direct to the 88D, then out of there digital to an 8 channel A/D converter and then to subs/amps/speakers.

The 8 outputs can be paired and controlled by a remote control. So I can switch between mains+subs, mini-monitors+subs, etc. easily with a remote.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by ryevick on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:48 am
matthewgorman wroteAre you using the sub for both sets of speakers, or just the JBL pair?

If usding the sub for one set of speakers, the audio output from the Mackie will go into the sub first, then from the sub to the upper speakers. Crossover is handled on the sub.

If you use one sub for 2 sets of speakers, it becomes more of a manual process. Not sure of the capabilities of the Mackie, but Ill explain using the Presonus Central Station. With Presonus speaker mgmnt, the sub gets set up on its own output (C). There is a config that will allow pair C to be on/off, and Outputs A and B can be toggled. In this i9nstance you have to set all the crossover points for each set of speakers and the sub. Most studio monitors have these settings to allow the crossover to be set on each speaker.

Yes, using the sub with both sets of monitors.

I could run my main outputs of my interface straight to my sub, select the 80Hz crossover setting and run the output of the sub into the Mackie Big Knob, into the DAW Mix Input Source and connect my 2 sets of monitors to the outputs and that would work fine... if I never wanted to change my monitor volume. If I am understanding this correctly, if I did change the volume the sub volume would not respond to that change, only the monitors. That's seems to be the headache.

Currently my outputs on the Big Knob are JBL Monitors set to Monitor A, Roland to Monitor B and JBL Sub to Monitor C. So no crossover is being used.

It stinks because I'm seriously thinking about ditching the Rolands and getting a set of ADAM Audio T5V monitors. I like having a secondary set of monitors to compare against.

Capture.JPG

back 2.jpg

back.jpg

back.jpg

matthewgorman wroteThe reason most crossovers are listed for live use is most likely in the circuitry. They may not be "clean" enough for studio work.

Yea, I kinda figured that. Same as with boards but just makes no sense that there's no studio crossovers. That's like making all boards for live.

S1 4.6 Pro / Win 10 Pro 64 / ASUS Z97-A / Intel i5-4670K 3.4 GHz / G.SKILL 32GB DDR3 / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Syba Firewire PCI-e / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, OctoPre MkII Dynamic, ISA One Analog, ISA One Digital / Presonus TubePre & FaderPort / JBL LSR305 & Roland MA-15D Monitors, JBL 2310SP Subwoofer / Mackie Big Knob / ART HeadAmp6Pro / Behringer Ha400 / Various Headphones / AOC 29" 21:9 Ultrawide / CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Mobile: Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G / i5-6200U 2.30 GHz / 32GB DDR4 / Win 10 64 / Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen / KAT Multipad / Nektar Panorama P6
by matthewgorman on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:38 am
Thats a bummer. I use the Central Station, and have a pair of Sceptre in the Mon A, and HS50's in Mon B. Both have a crossover switch so I can match up with the sub, and use the sub in Slot C for the sub.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ryevick on Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:29 pm
matthewgorman wroteThats a bummer. I use the Central Station, and have a pair of Sceptre in the Mon A, and HS50's in Mon B. Both have a crossover switch so I can match up with the sub, and use the sub in Slot C for the sub.

Yea, it does stink. You would think Mackie would have implemented a crossover in The Big Knob. I absolutely love it otherwise.

I did improve my sound though by making some adjustments to the settings on the monitors and then swapped the placement of the Rolands to the inside. Why I had my JBLs on the inside is a mystery. Not sure what I was thinking. I adjusted the sound mix as well for the Roland. Now if I select just the Rolands without the sub it sounds more like a smaller boombox type of radio. When I turn them all on, that small radio sound nestles right into the overall mix. It sounds much better.

I have to give a shout out to Joe Gilder as well for sharing this song below. I use reference tracks to help me get things dialed in on different things. His song 'Fighter' is one of the best mixes I've heard. It has a great frequency spectrum and really is a go-to for sound check. Not to mention it's just a great song. I love the chorus and the bridge near the end just opens up beautifully.

Excellent job Joe 👍

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urfz551lucdd8r2/04%20-%20Fighter.wav?dl=0

20211008_163105-01.jpeg

by peterbirch on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:31 pm
Hi, I have a very similar setup using the Big Knob, with my Mon.C going to a sub. Recently have changed to Adam T7's and found most of the time didn't need the sub on for mixing.
Have you got a spare set of outputs on your audio box? If so you could plug the sub into those output/s and use a cue mix to output to these outputs. This would allow you to add an EQ on the mains to cut out very low freq's, likewise on the cue mix you could control the high level that doesn't get through.
This could be setup as a default template.

Then Mon C could be for your next set of monitors :D :D :D

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by ryevick on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:34 am
peterbirch wroteHi, I have a very similar setup using the Big Knob, with my Mon.C going to a sub. Recently have changed to Adam T7's and found most of the time didn't need the sub on for mixing.
Have you got a spare set of outputs on your audio box? If so you could plug the sub into those output/s and use a cue mix to output to these outputs. This would allow you to add an EQ on the mains to cut out very low freq's, likewise on the cue mix you could control the high level that doesn't get through.
This could be setup as a default template.

Then Mon C could be for your next set of monitors :D :D :D

I may hold off on the new monitors, not sure yet. I have the sub set to 80Hz and readjusted the output of my monitors, both sets and that helped. I do use all of my outputs. I have an 80Hz EQ filter on the master that I use on occasion to insure the mix will translate to smaller audio systems.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1