10 posts
Page 1 of 1
EDIT: I have confirmed that increasing the RAM speed beyond 2666MHz solves Studio One performance issues.

I find this as an interesting starting point to do a poll of sorts for those who have RAM above 2666MHz.

The poll is based on this video
phpBB [video]
and my own troubleshooting lately around higher Performance Monitor usage on 96khz sessions vs 48 and 44.1khz sessions keeping bit rate at 24bit and Dropout Protection at Minimal.

This guy in the video is basically saying he found a significant decrease in the % on S1 performance monitor when moving up from 2666mHz RAM.

This RAM speed influence seems to be independent of the GB of total RAM or CPU quality itself. When I'm referencing my tests across 2 systems and multiple S1 versions (including latest 5.4). I have one system on an i7-8700k:6 physical cores/32GB RAM 2666MHz, and another system with an i9-9880H: 8 physical cores/32GB RAM at 2666MHz and they both perform identical in the S1 performance monitor despite the increase in CPU physical core capacity and speed. I can verify the % performance discrepancy within S1 when I change the session quality from 96khz to 48khz and even further reduction when moving down to 44.1khz.

Are folks with RAM speeds above 2666MHz seeing a significant % difference in Performance monitor when changing the session quality and keeping bit rate at 24bit and Dropout Protection at Minimal?
Last edited by waltong on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAW: Studio One Professional 6.5
by Vocalpoint on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:01 pm
waltong wroteAre folks with RAM speeds above 2666MHz seeing a significant % difference in Performance monitor when changing the session quality and keeping bit rate at 24bit and Dropout Protection at Minimal?

Been running my RAM at 3200 for years and my dropout protection at medium - however - I never look at the CPU monitor nor do ever change session quality so I am probably not a good use case.

That said - I have never seen S1 exhibit any issues and I have certainly never hit any scenarios where I felt like the system was slow or dropping out due to a CPU logjam.

I just let S1 do it's thing and I do mine.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by waltong on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
waltong wroteAre folks with RAM speeds above 2666MHz seeing a significant % difference in Performance monitor when changing the session quality and keeping bit rate at 24bit and Dropout Protection at Minimal?

Been running my RAM at 3200 for years and my dropout protection at medium - however - I never look at the CPU monitor nor do ever change session quality so I am probably not a good use case.

That said - I have never seen S1 exhibit any issues and I have certainly never hit any scenarios where I felt like the system was slow or dropping out due to a CPU logjam.

I just let S1 do it's thing and I do mine.

Cheers!

VP

Are you running sessions at 96khz? That's the aspect that seems to be gumming up the Performance within S1.

by Vocalpoint on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:23 pm
waltong wroteAre you running sessions at 96khz? That's the aspect that seems to be gumming up the Performance within S1.

Can't justify a need to run a session at 96k at this point - so again - not a great use case.

That said - logically - I would expect that the CPU meter would definitely be impacted by a change to 96k - regardless of your RAM settings.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:31 am
Higher speed ram should always increase speed/latency. If that isn't the case the bottleneck is elsewhere like the motherboard. A bios update and reviewing bios settings could help.

Of course higher sample rate means higher CPU.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by waltong on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:34 am
Update: I did a swap from 2666 to 3200 MHz RAM and compared with a session that gave audio pops. Immediately resolved the popping.

So the RAM speed beyond 2666 MHz is indeed a big factor with session stability

by PreAl on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:53 am
PreAl wroteHigher speed ram should always increase speed/latency. If that isn't the case the bottleneck is elsewhere like the motherboard. A bios update and reviewing bios settings could help.

I should have written increase speed/reduce latency!

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by waltong on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:31 pm
PreAl wrote
PreAl wroteHigher speed ram should always increase speed/latency. If that isn't the case the bottleneck is elsewhere like the motherboard. A bios update and reviewing bios settings could help.

I should have written increase speed/reduce latency!

If you watch the linked video, it is session stability/performance not latency or speed of the session that was at issue. I have confirmed with the same total 32GB of RAM and only increasing the speed beyond 2666 that the audio dropouts have been solved in a given session that was causing issue.

by PreAl on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:19 am
It's a response to this quote nothing else.
Performance/speed is pretty much the same thing, you've clearly reduced a bottleneck. Better speed/performance can also increase stability (and very occasionally reduce it if there is another bottleneck in the chain!)

waltong wroteUpdate: I did a swap from 2666 to 3200 MHz RAM and compared with a session that gave audio pops. Immediately resolved the popping.

by themaartian on Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:10 am
Just checked my Lenovo P17 specs. It runs 32GB RAM at 3200MHz. Never had a problem with it, so never thought about

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro

10 posts
Page 1 of 1