8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Looking to switch over to Mac M1. Studio One has recently announced it will now run natively on M1. Presumably this also means all S1 plugins run natively as well.

My question is, if the Daw is running natively though there are other 3rd party plugins such as synths that still run on Win10 how would this play out ? Would the Mac run the DAW under M1 and the synths under Rosetta ? Or is it an all or nothing situation ?

Thanks...

Studio One 5 Artist 5.2.0
Ampire XT Metal Pack Version: 1.0.0.7
Studio One Plug-In Support Version: 1.0.0.0

Notion 6 Version: 6.4.462

Dell XPS Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i5 540M @ 2.53GHz

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz
by j0001s on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:22 pm
Prog Rocker wroteMy question is, if the Daw is running natively though there are other 3rd party plugins such as synths that still run on Win10 how would this play out ? Would the Mac run the DAW under M1 and the synths under Rosetta ? Or is it an all or nothing situation ?

AU plugins are supposed to run under Rosetta. VST might run with an AU wrapper. Many commercial plugins include AU in their installers, especially if they run on Mac.

Not sure where Win 10 fits in, unless you use that to mean VST.
by Prog Rocker on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:37 am
j0001s wrote
Prog Rocker wroteMy question is, if the Daw is running natively though there are other 3rd party plugins such as synths that still run on Win10 how would this play out ? Would the Mac run the DAW under M1 and the synths under Rosetta ? Or is it an all or nothing situation ?

AU plugins are supposed to run under Rosetta. VST might run with an AU wrapper. Many commercial plugins include AU in their installers, especially if they run on Mac.

Not sure where Win 10 fits in, unless you use that to mean VST.

Yes, I used Win10 plugins for VST.

If I switch over to Mac (M1) from Win10 will I be able to still use my old Win10 VSTs ? And how will that work ? Will Studio One run natively on the M1 while the VSTs are running on Rosetta ? Or do I now need everything to run natively on the M1 ?

Windows users still have quite a few plugins that haven't been updated to M1 as of yet. Is it then best to wait until everything has been updated to run natively ? I would think wrappers will introduce a lot of latency concerns.

One thing I didn't get, you mentioned "AU plugins are supposed to run under Rosetta".

I thought Win10/VSTs ran under Rosetta and AU ran under MacOS. Is this not the case ?

Thanks...

Dell XPS Laptop

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop
by tovokas on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:46 pm
Prog Rocker wrote
j0001s wrote
Prog Rocker wroteOne thing I didn't get, you mentioned "AU plugins are supposed to run under Rosetta".

I thought Win10/VSTs ran under Rosetta and AU ran under MacOS. Is this not the case ?

Apple has wrapped all AU's in an automatic Rosetta wrapper to insure they worked on m1 machines, they're not 'native' by default.

Some venders have updated their plugs to support native, including Valhalla, Fabfilter, Melda, and Tracktion Daw Essentials, but most are still in the conversion process.

Some good reference links shared previously:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... d-to-know-
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... setta-mode

M1 Mac Studio 32 Gigs/ i7 Windows
Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Tascam Model 12/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Studio One 6.5 (Sphere) / Waveform 12.5
Plugins: Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia,
Komplete 14, PSP
by leosutherland on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:15 am
This may be a silly question, but I thought I'd ask and look silly now rather than silly after I upgrade to 5.4. :P

Is this question only relevant to MacOS? Ie. I'm on Win10 so do I need to worry about running M1 or Rosetta modes?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Prog Rocker on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am
tovokas wroteSome venders have updated their plugs to support native, including Valhalla, Fabfilter, Melda, and Tracktion Daw Essentials, but most are still in the conversion process.

Some good reference links shared previously:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... d-to-know-
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... setta-mode

Thanks Tovokas. The links were quite helpful. It seems AU plugins may run in their own Rosetta mode, though my current VSTs will have to be native in order to run on Studio One Native.

It's probably way too early to make the move as of yet as quite a few plugins I use - Amplitube, BiasFX, Superior Drummer, ect haven't provided Native Apple Silicon versions.

I'm also not sure about the latency that will be introduced with Rosetta.

Can I use all of my plug-ins and virtual instruments with Studio One in native mode?

No. Native Apple Silicon versions of plug-ins and virtual instruments are required, except for Audio Units plugins and virtual instruments which may run in their own Rosetta mode provided by the operating system. Make sure to check the manufacturer’s website for any information regarding native Apple Silicon support and available updates.

Dell XPS Laptop

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop
by Vocalpoint on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:25 am
[quote="leosutherland"Is this question only relevant to MacOS? Ie. I'm on Win10 so do I need to worry about running M1 or Rosetta modes?[/quote]

Correct. If you are on Windows - no need to be concerned with anything to do with M1 or Rosetta or anything Apple-centric.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by leosutherland on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am
Vocalpoint wrote[quote="leosutherland"Is this question only relevant to MacOS? Ie. I'm on Win10 so do I need to worry about running M1 or Rosetta modes?

Correct. If you are on Windows - no need to be concerned with anything to do with M1 or Rosetta or anything Apple-centric.

Cheers

VP[/quote]
Cool, thanks mate :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers

8 posts
Page 1 of 1