2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I bought the Studio One Essential Ambient thinking it would be it's own instrument. I have installed it and all but now I can't seem to find it or even know how to use it. I looked online and there wasn't really anything there that made sense to me.

Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?

Thanks so much,
Don
Atlanta, GA USA
by Jemusic on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:28 pm
I recently got this and it is a nice library. Its not an instrument but a Studio One Soundset. So go to where your Soundsets are installed and you will see it listed there there. There are a bunch of folders listed once you open it. Most of them have wave files in there so you can audition and then drag out onto audio tracks in the arrange window, There are also some Impact XT kits presets.

The whole library contains a range of things. Ambient atmospheres and textures, musical and percussion one shots and loops too. The textures are quite long so you can safely loop to extend them without fear of hearing where the loop starts etc..There are quite a few covering different chords (moving around the key circle a bit) so you can build progressions. These textures are a good starting point to build a deeper more complex ambient soundscape over.

Tip

Use some insert FX on the long ambient soundscapes. The first one being the Pro EQ. Here you can really shape the sound. Pull out the stuff that is a little too present and enhance the other parts of the spectrum. You can change the ambient sound here big time. Then follow with a widener plugin. There is a free one going here right at the moment.

https://audiofb.com/product/wizard/

This one goes right up to 500% and maintains excellent phase coherence. Push the soundscape right out wide. Note: this plugin makes the track louder when its wide so trim to taste. Create an FX bus and put a reverb there with at least a 10 second decay time. Set that for lots of return level. Now with the channel fader push the ambient soundscape in and out of the reverb. You could automate this too. The reverb hangs the texture for a long time. The idea is to keep the track out of the reverb a lot the time. Just as its starting to die away slowly push some more level into the reverb again. This results in a beautiful wide and deep texture. Great for building onto then.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

2 posts
Page 1 of 1