8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello. I mixed a song to about 0 on the K-20 scale.

The introduction is a clean electric guitar part. The volume for that part is even lower.

When I export the mix to wav and listen to it in the DAW, it sounds just like it does when you listen to the session.

When I export the mix to wav and listen through it through my computer's sound system (Dell XPS 8700 with $20 Logitech computer speakers) with Windows Media Player, the introduction does not sound as clean. For instance, the strings may rattle more. Or you can her the clicking of the pick against the guitar string more. However, there is no static per se.

I sent the mix for mastering. If I drop the mastered wav/mp3 into the session, it sounds beautiful, including the clean part. However, if I listen to the mastered wav/mp3 through my computer speakers, you can hear all this static in the clean part--but only that part. Likewise, if I listen to the mastered wav/mp3 on my Samsung Galaxy Note 9, with or without headphones, I hear a bunch of static in that clean part.

Please note that that is not the only clean part in the song. I am strumming a clean guitar for the verse riff. No issues with that part in the mastered song. Only the clean introduction.

I am exporting the wav at 44.1 kHz and 24 bit. I raise the ASIO buffer size to the highest setting on my AudioBox USB, 2040, for mixdown. Likewise, I raise the Internal Block Size to the highest setting, 512 samples, before mixdown. I know I can change the resolution to 16 bit when I mix down and I did that and listened to the mixdown and question whether that will make a difference once mastered. If anything, the clean part in question sounded less "clean" when I lowered the resolution to 16 bit.

Wifi, Bluetooth, and the Internet on my computer are disabled when I mix down. And, to reiterate, the master is not causing problems with any other part of the song.

I know this is a tough one, but any ideas as to what might be amiss? I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Presonus HD7 2x32 Ohms headphones, PreSonus M7 mic

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (64-bit) OS, 16.0 GB RAM

Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4790 @3.6 GHz, 1.8 TB storage (1.66 free)

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by Tacman7 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 pm
johnsaxon wroteI am exporting the wav at 44.1 kHz and 24 bit. I raise the ASIO buffer size to the highest setting on my AudioBox USB, 2040, for mixdown. Likewise, I raise the Internal Block Size to the highest setting, 512 samples,

I wonder about that. Were you having problems that led you to that solution?

In order to get your song to play you may need to raise the buffer in S1. (that is setting your interface buffer from inside S1). It wouldn't help export mixdown. People have had artifacts from using high buffer settings.

Good to see how your music translates to different devices.

Interesting to hear if you wanted to post a bit of the problem area.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by johnsaxon on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:05 pm
I raised the ASIO buffer size on Audiobox (not in the DAW) because I have a lot of effects on the tracks. So, once all the effects are turned on, you get tons of static in the DAW during playback. If you raise the ASIO buffer size, the static goes away during playback. Before you say effects are the problem, I'm not having issues w/ any other part of the song. Also, he mastered the troublesome part when it was hardly effected and it was still giving me problems with static.

I don't see a way to raise buffer size per se w/n the DAW. I see S1, Options, Audio Setup. Please see the picture below. You can't change Device Block Size unless you change the AISO buffer size in the Audiobox utility. You can change Internal Block Size. The values are 32 samples to 512 samples. But I believe that is to reduce or raise latency during playback and doesn't really have anything to do with the problem I've described.

DAW SHOT.PNG

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by Tacman7 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 am
Never seen Artist 2 setup, different!

On that panel it says bit depth 32.

When I create the song I select the bit depth, is yours set to 32?

bitDepth.jpg
bitDepth.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1532 times

If you run out of processing power you can bounce tracks and other things.

I work on songs in sections then put them together later.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by johnsaxon on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:54 am
Tacman7 wroteNever seen Artist 2 setup, different!

On that panel it says bit depth 32.

When I create the song I select the bit depth, is yours set to 32?

bitDepth.jpg

If you run out of processing power you can bounce tracks and other things.

I work on songs in sections then put them together later.

I don't remember setting it to 32 bit, and I can't change the value on that dialog box. What should it be set to? 24? I can look for that the next time I create a new song.

When you say bounce, do you mean your export parts of your songs as wav files as you go, such that you can hear the effects without actually having the effects on? For instance, say you had 16 rhythm guitar tracks, each effected. Would you export those guitars as wavs. I'm supposing you could do the same thing for the other main parts of the song: vocals, bass, drums, etc. That would make it harder to mix for sure, but I suppose it would put less strain on your system at mixdown.

by johnsaxon on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:10 pm
I did find a workaround to the static problem.

I recorded the intro yet again. Then I put only compression on it. Then I exported just that part to wav. Then I imported the wav that the masterer gave me and imported it into the session. Then I cut the staticky intro out of the wav. Then I pasted the new into the mastered wav. Then I exported the edited mastered wav to wav. Obviously, the part after the new intro sounded like the original master. And the intro sounded even better because I played it better.

I know now that having all the effected tracks (it was a big session) was causing the intro to have "hidden static" that the master brought out. In hindsight, because the session was so big and so many tracks were effected, I should have mixed the song, then burned each major part (guitar, bass, vocals, drums) to wav, and then burned those wavs to one wav for the masterer. As you suggested, that would have strained my system less.

Mixing this song was been very educational!

by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:24 am
DAW's and processing!

I use passmark overall scores to get a sense of what a computer should be able to do.

I thought I was doing good when I got a computer with a 5k score!

After using that that for some years then got a decent i7 then a Ryzen which is 17k I think.

When I got that I thought I can do anything!

Not true! You actually run up against the same roadblocks you had with slower computer just now you have more breathing room and can do more. Still you have a limit.

That's the thing, you have done a lot with what you have. No one can help you with V2 much since they're all using V5.

Still as good as it ever was.

An upgrade would be a big jump but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

You would have to watch the new features ads for V3, V4, and V5 on you tube to see the improvements.

V3 was a big one for me.

Forum Moderator.

by johnsaxon on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:39 am
Tacman7 wroteDAW's and processing!

I use passmark overall scores to get a sense of what a computer should be able to do.

I thought I was doing good when I got a computer with a 5k score!

After using that that for some years then got a decent i7 then a Ryzen which is 17k I think.

When I got that I thought I can do anything!

Not true! You actually run up against the same roadblocks you had with slower computer just now you have more breathing room and can do more. Still you have a limit.

That's the thing, you have done a lot with what you have. No one can help you with V2 much since they're all using V5.

Still as good as it ever was.

An upgrade would be a big jump but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

You would have to watch the new features ads for V3, V4, and V5 on you tube to see the improvements.

V3 was a big one for me.

When I get a new computer, I'll probably upgrade. For what I'm trying to accomplish, V2 is still getting the job done. Now I know though that I have to be careful not to strain my processor too much. I have an i7 with 16 GB of memory, so it's not exactly like this machine is a dinosaur. Thanks for responding. No one else was willing to broach this topic.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1