6 posts
Page 1 of 1
First of all I know I don't "need" anything. I have Studio1 Pro IV soon to upgrade to V and a faderport 8. I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 into the firewire port of a mid 2015 MacBook Pro with i7 and 16 gb memory. I actually record most of my stuff elsewhere and plug an ext drive into the system to mix and master.
I'm starting a project pretty much on my own using guitars, vocals, maybe KB violin and trumpet. I'll to use the S1 metronome to get the basic tracks down then use the MIDI drums in S1. I am not saying I'll never use a synth track, but if I do it will be sparse. Songs will be mostly 8-10 tracks. If I get carried away I may get up to 18 tracks tops.
So far the MacBook has been fine no glitches whatsoever, but I am considering the future. Is there any advantage I'd get out of a new Mac?
I am thinking Mac Mini for the two USB I already have all the ports used on my Macbook and I have a USB hub, so the two thunderbolts seem like they'd be a problem.
Is there any downside to the M1 Macs that I should avoid?
I think I've answered my own question here,"stop obsessing about equipment and play your guitar". However, I'd like to hear others' opinions.
I love this forum I fixed a problem with my faderport with data I got here.
by stephenboyke1 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 pm
I'll be getting an M1 of M1x iMac in the future. I am waiting until all my various recording software has been updated by the developers to run natively on an Apple Silicon computer. I suspect that will take at least another year or so, and then I'll wait a bit longer to let all the bugs and growing pains settle out.

I went through something very similar when Apple dumped the Motorola CPUs and went to Intel CPUs and I see no reason to be a pioneer with another large and complicated transition.
by IanM5 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:53 am
Yep, you don't need it so hold back until you do. By then there will be better software support and probably faster hardware for the same money.

In the meantime you should probably stop obsessing about equipment and play your guitar. :thumbup:

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by bob forrest on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 am
Thanks guys. I appreciate the sage advice. Music forums are so often sources of enabling for frivolous purchases.
I'm getting the new version on Monday. I can't wait to try some of the new features and the upgraded effects. I don't use 3rd party plug ins so it should be a pretty smooth transition.
by ronlyon on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:21 pm
Only problem is that your Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 isn't supported on mac m1's.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ed-systems

Win 10 x64, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Reaper, Studio One 4, Komplete 9, Geist, Z3ta 2, Omnisphere, RMX, Serum.
by bob forrest on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:14 pm
ronlyon wroteOnly problem is that your Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 isn't supported on mac m1's.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ed-systems
That could be a problem, though I could switch to my Firestudio Mobile (I haven't checked on it's compatibility). Firewire devices are pretty much going the way of the passenger pigeon and the compact disc anyway. I am lookin at picking up a digital mixer like the QSC Touchmix and just getting rid of the interface altogether.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1