7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I am trying to bring a project from my old DAW (Cubase Pro) into Studio One. This song has *a lot* of tempo changes, which I don't want to reprogram from scratch.

So my approach has been to bring in a midi file from Superior Drummer into Studio One's Tempo Track. That midi file is a song export, as midi, from Superior Drummer.

Now the fun starts. Superior Drummer apparently runs internally at 44.1KHz (at least, that's the sample rate of all the drum samples), but my new Studio One project is at 96KHz, because all the audio I'm importing is at that sample rate.

So now I try to set up my tempo track, by opening my Windows file browser and dragging the midi file onto my Tempo Track.

After the usual "Do you want me to use general midi sounds for this track?" (No I don't), I get "This file is at 44.1KHz, but your song is at 96KHz" - and Studio One then *creates* a brand new project at 44.1 with the midi track in it. Hmmm.

So now I change that new project's sample rate to 96KHz, export the midi file from the now 96KHz project. Import it back into my 96KHz project and - I get the same error again.

This is just bizarre. I don't know why a midi file even contains a sample rate.

Any ideas, folks? (Apart from "why don't you import all your audio at 44.1" :-).

Cheers!

---
Intel i9-10940X @ 3.3GHz, 128GB RAM. Win 10 Home 64-bit
Merging Technologies converters: HAPI II w/ 2x ADA8S, Merging Anubis monitor controller / headphone amp
PreSonus 5.4 Professional / Cubase 11 Professional
UAD2 PCIe x 2
Adam-A7 monitors
by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

If you export a midi file from Cubase you should be able to drag that to the tempo track.

Most of the time people use Melodyne in S1 to get tempo from audio tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... po+mapping

I don't get what you're doing with Superior, also what any of it has to do with sample rates, midi doesn't read them.

But I'm usually missing somethings along the way, what were you doing when you got the sample rate error?

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by hughmcevoy on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 am
Hi Tacman7

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had a super busy week at work - hence not replying sooner.

Tacman7 wroteWelcome to the Forum!

If you export a midi file from Cubase you should be able to drag that to the tempo track.

That's what I thought - and also what I was trying to do (see below).

Tacman7 wrote Most of the time people use Melodyne in S1 to get tempo from audio tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... po+mapping

I don't get what you're doing with Superior, also what any of it has to do with sample rates, midi doesn't read them.

But I'm usually missing somethings along the way, what were you doing when you got the sample rate error?

I'm certainly not trying to extract tempo info from audio.

As I wasn't clear before, this time I'm including screenshots and step-by-step. I hope that makes things clearer! I've since also managed to reproduce the issue without Cubase being in the picture at all - which hopefully also makes things clearer... it's just Studio One with Superior Drummer running inside it as a VST.

Here we go:

Step 1: export the Superior Drummer song as a midi file. I have highlighted the menu option I used in Superior Drummer and also the project sample rate (96KHz).

Step 1 - Export from Superior Drummer inside Studio One.png
Step 1 - export a midi file from Superior Drummer

Step 2: Drag the midi file into Studio One's Tempo track. Note that the project is (still!) at 96KHz.

Step 2 - Drag midi file to Studio One Tempo track.png
Step 2 - drag the midi file to the Studio One Tempo track

Step 3: Boom! I get the error I reported earlier - and Studio One created a new project to hold my MIDI file, after complaining of a sample rate error. THAT was what I was trying to explain before ;) .

Step 3 - boom.png
Step 3 - and I get a sample rate error from exporting a midi file from Superior Drummer inside a 96KHz project and importing it back into the same 96KHz project. Weird.

What I'm shooting for is that that midi file ends up as the tempo track - with all the tempo variations intact (it'd be nice if it also pulled in any time sig changes - but this song doesn't have any and so that's a different problem).

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Tacman7 wrote Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Will do - thanks.
by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:09 am
So you don't have access to the original song? or cubase?

The only tempo info is on that track? I would try what you're doing except after saving the midi file close the song.

Create a new song at the lower sample rate and import the tempo track. Everything working and good?

Can you change the sample rate now? I never use high sample rates, cost way more than return.

You could take the final mix from your song and probably get the tempo changes from it with melodyne map.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by hughmcevoy on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:42 am
Interestingly, I'm able to drag and drop that midi file into an Instrument track in S1 successfully - but of course that doesn't give me a tempo track that stays in time with the song.

But even if I just export it out of that same Instrument track in S1 and try and drag and drop it into the Tempo track in S1 I get the same error as before.

To your question:

Tacman7 wroteSo you don't have access to the original song? or cubase?

I have access to both the original song and Cubase.

I was trying to eliminate variables by showing you the issue in Studio One :-).

It's worth understanding that I always build my drum tracks inside as Superior Drummer as Songs, because (a) Superior Drummer is just... superior... if you're working with its midi loops e.g. you can add/remove complexity from the drums in a more intuitive and quick way than fiddling with a Cubase midi or instrument track.

So my workflow (in Cubase) was:
- Create tempo track / signature track in Cubase as part of roughing the song out.
- Create an empty midi part in Cubase
- Export that empty midi part - it exports with all the temp / sig info I wanted
- Import that into Superior. Now I have the basic structure. I need to do this, as Superior won't otherwise follow signature changes (and perhaps tempo changes - I forget) as Cubase plays the song
- Create my drums to taste inside Superior Drummer, using all it's great editing tools
- Render the drums back into Cubase as audio before mixing - partly to save CPU, partly in case I want to do something with them (e.g. send to a friend who doesn't have Superior Drummer).

So in all that workflow, the midi track for the drums never exists inside Cubase. That's why I'm exporting it from Superior Drummer to get started in Studio One.

It might be easier to achieve the same effect as above in Studio One with a lot less faff - but this is pretty quick now that I've done it loads of times!

Tacman7 wroteThe only tempo info is on that track? I would try what you're doing except after saving the midi file close the song.

Nope. (See below)

Tacman7 wroteCreate a new song at the lower sample rate and import the tempo track. Everything working and good?

Actually, I don't seem able to import that midi file as a tempo track regardless of what I do: it just wants to create an instrument track. Something wrong with the midi methinks: I wonder what...? Whether I set up a new project at 44.1 or use an existing project at 44.1, dragging that midi file into a Tempo track creates a new project and Instrument track and puts the midi file into the instrument track.

Tacman7 wroteCan you change the sample rate now? I never use high sample rates, cost way more than return.

See above - even with sample rate changes, I now have an instrument track with the midi file, but can't get that to turn into a tempo track.

I'm starting to conclude that there's something about that midi file that S1 doesn't like - at least not as a tempo track.

Re: sample rates (rathole warning): I have some digital gear that's hard-clocked at different sample rates (44.1 and 48). Being able to handle multiple sample rates in the same projects at the same time is one of the main reasons I switched to Studio One (and then I discovered how much easier the workflows are). Cubase can't handle files with more than one sample rate. I prefer to record acoustic guitars, vocals at 96 because it gives me more headroom to process them. But that's *another* topic :-).

Cheers!

---
Merging Technologies converters: HAPI II w/ 2x ADA8S, Merging Anubis monitor controller / headphone amp
UAD2 PCIe x 2
Adam-A7 monitors
by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:58 am
I would think you could export a midi file from cubase and open it like in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4pAHfmnZw

Forum Moderator.

by hughmcevoy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:40 am
Hi Tacman7

Thanks for your help here. The vid was super helpful. I got there in the end after a bit more backwards and forwards.

Here's the recipe:
- Create an empty midi part in Cubase spanning the entire project.
- Export that as a .mid type 1 file, which brings across time sig, tempo and markers
- Create a new S1 project by dragging the midi file into the arrange window. This creates a new project at 44.1KHz (and not whatever my standard project template is i.e. 96 for me).
- The sample rate error was my ASIO device (Merging Technologies) - it complained about the new project at 44.1. Nothing to do with midi per se.
- Delete any midi parts the above process creates - we only needed the empty part for tempo etc.
- Change the new project to whatever you want (96 in my case)
- NOW it works: key changes, tempo changes, markers are all the right places.
- Import audio mixdowns of all the other tracks in the project, bring in Superior Drummer on an Instrument track with the correct Superior Drummer project loaded.
- Etc. All is in working order.

Where I went wrong:
- I was mystified as to why I had a sample rate error from a midi file (it was correlation, not causation)
- I was (and am) mystified as to why a new project is always created using this process at 44.1 instead of whatever your default project settings are
- I didn't realise that the fact that midi parts were created in the new project did NOT imply that the time / tempo changes etc hadn't happened - in fact, they were already there (in my case, if I scrolled to the right sufficiently...)

So: Tacman7, whoever you are: THANK YOU.

All up and running now.

Take care

---
UAD2 PCIe x 2
Adam-A7 monitors

7 posts
Page 1 of 1