7 posts
Page 1 of 1

Hey,

I see in studio one 4 the strip silence function. I was wondering if it was possible to do the same thing but in reverse? I've played around a little bit but it doesn't seem like I can achieve it. For context I work mainly on films and want a way to easily grab the room tone on events that I have so I'd like the dialogue or other sounds to be stripped and left with just the silence.

Thanks
by j0001s on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm
There is a way to get to where you want to go:

- Duplicate the track
- Strip silence on the duplicate
- Flip the phase on the duplicate
- Mixdown the two tracks. The audio will cancel out where there is signal, leaving you only with the room tone.

Not my best explanation - hope that makes sense.
by mitchellwoodin on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:54 am
That works to silence the audio but I want to actually cut it out the same way strip silence does. That way I can put all the sections of room tone right next to each other. That's a potential solution though if I can make it work somehow
by j0001s on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:32 pm
I can see a way of building a macro to get the rest of the way.

On the track with the audio, something like:
- select next region
- set loop to region
- delete time
by mitchellwoodin on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 am
So I should do the first four steps in your first reply and then the second three? Or just the second three?

When I try and flip the phase using the mixtool on the second track it doesn't completely cancel out the audio I have it just makes it sound robotic am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to flip the phase?
by mitchellwoodin on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:01 am
I got the phase flip working to cancel out the audio so no need to troubleshoot that!
by garybowling on Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:16 pm
After you've done the flip phase thing and mixed the track down... Then do another "remove silence" but this time the silence is where the audio used to be, so you can tweak the strip silence until you're left with the room ambience pieces.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 11, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf

7 posts
Page 1 of 1