1 post
Page 1 of 1
Let's have a little discussion about mastering workflow, Studio One, and the Project page. And let's leave all the loudness arguments for somewhere else and confine ourselves to what happens when in the process.

I'm not a mastering engineer, just a lowly mixer who spent the bulk of his career doing television, specializing in music. In live television mastering is pretty much a non-issue, but during Covid I've done lots of YouTube projects for friends and actually had the time to do a sort-of mastering pass on many of them.

So here's one of the great things about S1: finish a mix, send it to the Project page, do whatever release tweaking you think appropriate, render, and send to the client. Client approves but wonders if the bass trombone hits in the second verse can be more like depth charges. No problem, you go back to the Song page, make the changes, and refresh the new version into the Project page with the exact same processing you decided on before. Large time savings, everybody happy.

Now let's suppose that you finish the mix, and you want to send it over to RX-7 to fix some phase rotation issues and maybe edit out or minimize some transients before you go to mastering and they become annoying. Do you render the mix (32 float, of course) in the Song page and send that file over to the RX-7 Editor? Or is there some way to selectively apply fixes to a file after it's in the Project page? (I haven't discovered one yet--Project seems to only deal with complete song files.)

Or to put it more simply: suppose I want to modify tiny bits of an existing stereo mix without going back to the Song page? This seems to throw a small wrench in the S1 workflow philosophy.

Peter

MacBook Pro 15,1 2.3GHz
Monterey 12.6.2
Studio One 6.0.2
StudioLive 32R
Faderport 16
ATOM

1 post
Page 1 of 1