1 post
Page 1 of 1
Hello All,
Want to run something by some of you to see if there might be a better way to do this workflow I have. I will attach a screen print that along with reading this description to hopefully help explain things.

In a nutshell, I use lots of Kontakt virtual instruments that are the manufacturers samples with MY kontakt script programming. Especially for horn work, that gives me better flexibility in terms of articulations. I use Kontakt scripting a lot to make virtual horns behave the way I want them to. So some midi cc work is required in the MIDI of that track. Yes, I have a midi controller and can put that all in at real time. But sometimes like "sound variations", its nice to have a sound pallet of cc data to achieve the results I want quickly. I have this concept working here in the picture, but just curious if there is a cleaner better approach I am not aware of that some of you do. I can simply select the VI track I want to give cc data to. I can put the song position cursor at the beginning of where I want the cc data to start, hit that macro button in the "Swells" group and... there it will be. Notice in the picture, I have in my tool belt, a "Swells" group of buttons with 2 thru 8 beat swells of the cc data I want tossed into the track. Also notice that I have 7 tracks with note-less midi loop data of the actual cc data ONLY. Each track has specific swell times based on the tempo of your song. So depending on what macro button I chose in the Swell group, the macro goes to that track of cc data(kind of a scratch pad track) and copies the cc data found there. The macro then returns to the original track you were on before the macro started and pastes in that cc data where your song position cursor is.

What I came up with here actually works but there are some drawbacks to it. I would tend to think "patterns" would be the way to refine this concept in S1 but I haven't seen any pattern exist greater than any 1 measure of music. For that reason, pattern insertion doesn't work for me. I decided to try "loops" here so I can have any number of measures I want. The problem there is loops also seems to save the instrument definitions as well as all the midi data. So when I load up 7 tracks of various swell times, I also end up with 7 instances of kontakt. I have to go in and delete all the unused ones. I would love a process that does the same things without the 7 tracks and instances of knotakt. In this example you can see a track called "MIDI TRACK DATA" where there is note data as well as some of those #Bswell segments overlaid on top.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments
StudioOne.jpg

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600

1 post
Page 1 of 1