3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

Lately I have been looking for a way to organize my folders more cleanly, so I am looking forward to hearing your opinions about this.

How do you organize your space? Do you have separate hard drives for separate things?
If you use samplepacks, samples from Splice or others, how do you store them to recall them quickly whenever you need say, a specific type of loop or specific type of drums?
Whenever you finish a song, what do you do? Do you save all the project files and exports in separate folders? Do you export different formats?
(all this is not related to people who do mastering, just to producers and songwriters, maybe mixing engineers as well)

So on. If you can take the time to explain your method of 'how to be organized', that would be appreciated, brief or long replies are both welcome! :thumbup:

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by cwestmont on Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:57 pm
I have a similar question. I have been a Splice subscriber for awhile, but their folder system is archaic IMO and I'd like to tag loops with BPM, style etc. independent of the Splice app, which is a clunky tool in several ways. I waste a bunch of time clicking through samples looking for a beat, etc.

Loopcloud and ADSR Sample Manager are both tools i've come across that purport to do what i want but the reviews of ADSR are cautionary and Loopcloud wants to get my credit card info even for a 'free' trial.

Any Presonus users solve this problem?

Studio One 4 Professional
Mac Mini M1
Scarlet 4i4
Roland Juno DS keys

Music
Look for these names on Spotify and other streaming sites:
3ud https://soundcloud.com/3ud_aka_bud
Hummingbird Cinema https://soundcloud.com/hummingbirdcinema
Mosaic Manifesto (instrumentals only)
by Vocalpoint on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:52 pm
kisnou wrote How do you organize your space? Do you have separate hard drives for separate things?

I have used the same standard "space" organization for over ten years = my DAW always gets 3 separate hard drives (2xSSD and 1xHDD).

First SSD (C:\) (Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M2 500 GB) is labelled System and is reserved exclusively for Windows 10 and all application files ONLY. No user generated material is ever saved on C. All standard Windows folders (Documents, Music etc) are redirected via script at install. This drive is imaged nightly to ensure I can restore a complete working state in less than 20 minutes.

Second SSD (M:\) (Samsung 860 EVO Series SSD) is labelled Media and is reserved for all user generated media files, docs, .txt, voiceover scripts etc. It also houses ALL downloads, ALL current and Studio One song/session files, client scripts plus all redirected standard folders that Windows uses for Documents, Music Etc.). This drive has a series of scripts using SyncBackPro Pro v10 that backs up all new and modified content on a 4 hours cadence out to our main file server

Third drive (S:\) is a standard 1TB HDD (Seagate Firecuda SSHD) that is labelled Storage and is reserved for 3 specific categories - Content (Audio, Video, Stock Photos, Text Samples etc), Libraries (All standard large "supplied" sound libraries that would come from a Toontrack or Spectrasonics or even Presonus (S1 Soundsets) and Sessions (all historic S1 and prior DAWS original multitrack sessions dating back to my old PortaStudio tapes starting in 1985)

kisnou wroteIf you use samplepacks, samples from Splice or others, how do you store them to recall them quickly whenever you need say, a specific type of loop or specific type of drums?

I use a combination of ADSR Sample Manager for organization - works great when you finally get an actual folder structure going on the hard disk (That is the hard part) and XLN Audio - XO Virtual drum instrument for actual playback and creation. This thing is limitless on using your own samples to create anything you can think of.

kisnou wroteWhenever you finish a song, what do you do? Do you save all the project files and exports in separate folders? Do you export different formats?

I use S1 first and foremost as my voiceover central application to produce my client work. That workflow is unique to my needs and would make little sense to document here unless you are a VO talent.

For my music creation - I rely heavily on the "project" concept in Studio One and all songs are added to a project when first created. This lets me work on things in an organized fashion whenever the mood strikes and I especially like the fact that I can bang off a quick reference mix at any point. I usually create projects for remastering (Like transcribing 5 original songs off one of my 1980's Tascam Portastudio tapes) and create a 5 song project (matching the orginal tape running order) out of that.

Once a song (old or new) has landed in a Project - I rarely (if ever) open the actual song itself in standalone mode - always open the Project, listen to the latest stem mix and then right click the song inside the Project left panel and open it up if I need to keep working.

For exports - once I am finally done with a song (in project mode) where the mix is great, the levels are perfect and it's ready for final export - I always create separate FLAC files of each track (under Digital Release) and occasionally - an entire Image of the project (Usually in WAV) to ensure I have a final image of the running order of the tracks for backup. Once tracks are in FLAC (Which preserves all metadata) - it's easy to create MP3s for listening or mobile use.

Finally - when a Project is done - I transfer the entire contents of the Project and all complete Song files (complete with all extraneous media) to a master archive on the server that can be copied back to the studio machine and fired back up in minutes.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM

3 posts
Page 1 of 1