9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello. There is a part in my song where I've recorded two rhythm guitar tracks in 2/2 at 280 bpm to the metronome (why I didn't use 4/4 is for another day). The tracks were recorded in the timestretch mode.

I would like to slow that part down gradually. For instance, start the part at 280 bpm and show it down gradually until it gets to 240 bpm. Then perhaps speed another part up gradually until it gets back to the original tempo.

Can I do this with automation? If so, could you please tell me the steps? Please note that I am using S1 2.6.5.30360.

I don't care if the guitar tone gets distorted. I'll just re-record to the automated tempo. Hell this part needs to be recorded anyway; the low E string is ringing too much. :oops:

I suppose a workaround would be to quantize to 1/64 and change the tempo for every 64th of a bar. I don't want to do that if I don't have to though.

Thank you.

John

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Presonus HD7 2x32 Ohms headphones, PreSonus M7 mic

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (64-bit) OS, 16.0 GB RAM

Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4790 @3.6 GHz, 1.8 TB storage (1.66 free)

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by Tacman7 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:49 pm
A song has a tempo. It can be changed at points in time, but it effects everything in the song.

You could take a guitar part and change the tempo and slow it down then bounce it and put it in a song that stays at the same tempo.

I don't know how it will do in V2 as far as quality, I think it's gotten a lot better in V5.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by johnsaxon on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 pm
Hello. Not really clear on why changing the tempo in one part effects everything else. That said, I do notice sometimes that when I change the tempo in certain clips don't align with the grid elsewhere. That's not a big deal though because you can just put stuff back where it belongs.

Having said that, can I automate the tempo for this part, recognizing that I might have to move clips around elsewhere?

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by Fornicras on Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:08 am
If I understood what you wanna do correctly, here's the video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmQ3MitadI

Edit: Also this section from the manual: https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/A ... _Track.htm

Not sure if's the same on Studio One 2 though.

Using Studio One 6 (Always the latest version)

System
i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, 2080TI, 34" 4K Display & 55" 4K Professional Display, Windows 10
Studio I/O
Lewitt LCT-440, Yamaha HS7, PreSonus Studio 1824c, Beyerdynamics DT1990, Audio Technica M50X
Studio Gear
Arturia Keylab 88 MK2, Atom Pad, Atom SQ
Instruments
Cordoba GK Studio, Takamine GJ72CE, Godin Session, Yamaha F310

R&B Singer / Songwriter / Producer
Website
by johnsaxon on Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:00 am
Tempo Track.jpg
Perhaps you'll understand me better if I show you. Please click on to see attached photo. 280 bpm (at 2/2) was the original tempo. In yellow, you'll see how I lowered the tempo to 226 bpm over seven bars then gradually raised it back to 280 bpm (which you'll see circled in red). That was tedious because I had to manually change the tempo every 1/4 bar (that part was quantized at 1/4).

I'm looking for a way to do this like you do volume automation. That is, where you open an automation track and change the tempo by manipulating dots on a line. My hope is to be able to draw descending and ascending linear lines (like you can do with automation for other parameters like volume) as opposed to the staggered tempo changes that result when you change the tempo one bar (or part of a bar) at a time.

by garybowling on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:49 am
I don't understand (and therefore others may not also) why modifying it on the tempo track is any different from an automation track. They both operate the same. The tempo track allows you to put dots on it to modify the tempo over time, just like a volume automation track allows you to put dots on it to modify the volume over time.

So I'm missing what's different and what you are trying to do. The only difference is that the volume automation only affects that one track you put it on, whereas modifying the tempo affect all the tracks.

Which is what tacman7 was saying. There is no way to have one track play at a different tempo than the other tracks. What he was also saying, is that if you want this to only affect one track, like volume automation, then the only way is to do the track in another song file. So create another song file, do the tempo up/down in that file, bounce the results to a wav (which will bake the tempo into the wav) and import that into your current song.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by Tacman7 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:58 am
johnsaxon wroteI'm looking for a way to do this like you do volume automation. That is, where you open an automation track and change the tempo by manipulating dots on a line.

Yea I was saying earlier that there's only 1 tempo track and each track doesn't have its own tempo parameters.

I'm not sure what's going on with your version there, this is how you adjust tempo now.

TempoMovement.gif

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by johnsaxon on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:29 am
Tacman7 wrote
johnsaxon wroteI'm looking for a way to do this like you do volume automation. That is, where you open an automation track and change the tempo by manipulating dots on a line.

Yea I was saying earlier that there's only 1 tempo track and each track doesn't have its own tempo parameters.

I'm not sure what's going on with your version there, this is how you adjust tempo now.

TempoMovement.gif

1. For starters, I'm trying to change the tempo of the entire song in that part, not just one track.

2. What you show in the gif is what I was trying to do. I don't think you can do that on my version of S1 though. I bought this back in 2014.

3. As the other poster said, this is more or less the same effect. HOWEVER, if you can manipulate dots like that, you get perfect linear lines, not staggered lines like I have. Also, it's A LOT easier to just automate as shown in the gif. Quantizing the tempo and inserting a bunch of staggered tempo changes is labor intensive.

by davidaimone on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 pm
I'd like to go a step farther. I'd like to tap a footswitch to subtlety slow or speed up small sections, hesitations, etc. Or better yet, use my ioStation24c fader in Touch mode to temporarily deviate from the standard tempo and have it snap back to the original after the modification to the tempo over a short range or a note or two.

Is this possible?

9 posts
Page 1 of 1