22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Has anyone been using Windows 11 with Presonus software and/or hardware products?
If so, can you post some feedback on how that is going for you?
Thanks for your input!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by PreAl on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:04 pm
As with all new OS's I wouldn't touch them until at least 6 months after official release, preferably a year.

I don't think free upgrades happen until next year? Beta programme is going on, expect MS however to keep changing the minimum specs. People running beta may find they cannot upgrade to the full release in some scenarios. e.g. those who have bypassed TPM.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by heinzhupfer on Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:34 am
HI:)

Fantastic new features in Windows 11, I love it and Cakewalk by Bandlab (JUN 2021), Cubase 11 and Studio One 5.3 do work without any issues here!

Bassman.
by danwilliams5 on Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:58 pm
My Studio one 5 doesn't work at all now!!!!!!!!!! I need it but can't even roll back to windows 10 'cause it's past the ten days. REALLY SUCKS!!!
There should be a fix by now!!
Can't us Native Access either! Is it Windows fault, maybe they should fix it!

Still waiting!!
by anonymouspanda on Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:44 am
Upgraded from W10 to W11 last week, everything running super smooth and working great. As Windows 11 is not using a new driver model everything should keep working. No issues at all on my end with any of the plugins / drivers / Studio One. Great update so far!
by julienchaix on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:29 am
What is stopping me right now to update to Windows 11 is the Sonarworks Reference 4 incompatibility . On my other PC (not music production PC) , windows 11 is running smooth.

https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/en-us ... Windows-11

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1 | Host OS: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS tuf b450-plus gaming | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x | RAM: 32GB | Graphics: Nvidia RTX2060 | Audio Interface: RME Babyface pro FS+ OctaMic XTC| Monitoring: ADAM A7V | Headphones Sennheiser HD600 + Slate VSX | MIDI Control: Studiologic SL88Grand & Presonus Faderport V2
by Vocalpoint on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:11 am
Agree with PreAl. If you are using S1 for actual client work or serious personal work - now is not the time for a wholesale OS change. Been reading all sorts of interesting bugs and oddball scenarios from different tech forums and such.

Granted - these bugs may not effect a single user that is using S1 for basic recording however - it is simply too new to commit to it;s use at this point for me anyway - this is a Fall 2022 move for me - if even then.

Windows 10 (and the 21H2 update coming soon) is so mature and so stable that it's a no brainer to stay on it until such time that Microsoft stops supporting it.

When it comes to my DAW work - the last thing I ever want (need) to worry about is the OS that S1 is running on. I actually want the OS to be so far in the background that I simply do not even think about it. That's Windows 10 for me right now.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by gilveber1 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:35 am
I wish i wasnt an idiot and followed the advice to WAIT. For the third times wwindows 11 deleted all my projects on studio one pro 5. There is no reason to not wait for a stable version unless you are stupid like me lol
by darrenstewart4 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm
I updated to windows 11 a week ago and bitterly regret it. My advice is DO NOT make the same mistake as me.

All my mixing sessions now have crackles and pops unless I set it to maximum dropout protection and if I increase the block size this makes it worse. My songs literally won’t play back at 2048.

This smacks of some sort of driver issue but Presonus support are just getting me to jump through hoops and clearly don’t have a handle on the issue.

Needless to say everything was working fine under windows 10.

Wish somebody had told me not to update to windows 11. Don’t do it.
by fmaestas on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:53 pm
I updated about 2 weeks after W11 was released. Have not had any troubles with Studio One. I did a fresh install, new SSD, so that may have helped. Runs like a champ so far.

S1 Pro 6.5, Logic, Reaper, macOS BigSur
My Bandcamp
by Vocalpoint on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:16 pm
darrenstewart4 wroteWish somebody had told me not to update to windows 11. Don’t do it.

We tried :) Earlier in this thread back in late summer/early fall 2021.

Sorry to hear about the hassle - but it's not surprising.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 pm
And another thing, studio one doesn't support it yet, and I suspect most plugins don't either...

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/tech-specs

It may work, just don't expect support.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Bub on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 am
While my mobo supports TPM 2.0, my CPU is not on the supported CPU list for Windows 11. My i7 6700 works perfectly for my needs. It has more than enough horsepower and I've never had a single problem with it. I'm really pissed that I'm being forced to upgrade. And no, I can't take it off the net. I'm not running a professional studio and don't have the luxury of dedicated offline hardware.

The only plus in my case is I've been wanting to build a gaming/DAW rig and I was thinking of using this i7 6700 as a home built NAS server. But now is not the time to be upgrading, especially IRT video cards. Cards retailing for $399 are actually selling for $900 and more unless you are one of the very few lucky ones to get on a list or use a bot to snag one the split millisecond it becomes available at an online retailer. That's where those guys on Amazon and eBay are getting them from. They get them for retail then turn around and sell them for three times retail and more.

This forced hardware update by Microsoft is coming at a real bad time and they have to know this. There is absolutely no reason on Earth they can't extend the life of Windows 10 seeing how PC availability and pricing is now and for the foreseeable future. This shortage and price gouging is not going to end anytime soon. It's going to go on for years until people accept it as the "new normal".

If I go with a current gen simple barebones i5 system now with no video card and just use the embedded GPU on the CPU it's around $2,000. Add a low end current video card and it's around $3,000. $5,000 for a high end video card. That's on a low end i5 system. Essentially the cost of the entire PC. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by Vocalpoint on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:37 am
Bub wroteI'm really pissed that I'm being forced to upgrade.

How is it that you are being "forced" to upgrade?

Windows 10 is fully supported to October 14, 2025. That should give all of us plenty of time to consider hardware that is fully supported by Win 11.

Even then - just like now - I expect millions to continue running Windows 10 after that date - just like the gobs of people still rocking a Windows 7 rig out there.

PS: I have not used a actual third party video card for about 5 years now - for Studio One/audio work - they are simply overkill.

VP

by PreAl on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 am
Windows 11 isn't a forced upgrade.
Windows 10 is very much alive until late 2025 earliest.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/win ... -know-now/

by Bub on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:29 am
Thanks for the info. The last thing I read was it was not being supported after 2023.

And yes I know about using OS's after official support ends but it's bad to do that for security reasons. As I said my PC will not be off the net.

Question ... why are new systems shipping with Windows 11 if Windows 10 is good for another 3 years?

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by Vocalpoint on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:36 am
Bub wroteWhy are new systems shipping with Windows 11 if Windows 10 is good for another 3 years?

That's a licensing requirement. If you are ACER or Lenovo or whoever - and you want to sell Windows with your PC to Joe Buyer - Microsoft sets the version that comes with it.

This is why I build everything and lay down my own versions of Windows as needed. It's also one of the reasons that a "store bought" computer (or third party reseller custom machine) is so expensive.

You mentioned 2K earlier for a base model i5 - I am wondering how you arrived that price point as I just built a total beast of a machine in April 2021 (see my sig) and dropped maybe $850.

Now to be fair - I keep a selection of cases, PSUs, keyboards, mice, my monitor is a Samsung TV and so on here in my inventory as I move through machine builds - but I picked up (and then built) a wicked machine with a motherboard/CPU/Memory/Samsung NVMe combo that did not cost 2K.

If you have the skills - never buy a pre-assembled PC if you want true value for your dollars. And ignore video cards until you truly need one.

VP

by PreAl on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 am
Bub wrote
Question ... why are new systems shipping with Windows 11 if Windows 10 is good for another 3 years?

You can ask them to supply windows 10, otherwise you can apparently downgrade to Windows 10:

https://pureinfotech.com/downgrade-windows-11-10/

by Bub on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:40 pm
Vocalpoint wroteYou mentioned 2K earlier for a base model i5 - I am wondering how you arrived that price point as I just built a total beast of a machine in April 2021 (see my sig) and dropped maybe $850.

I got a quote from a DAW builder and I looked up the individual prices on my own. The new 12th Gen i5's with built in GPU and a decent mobo alone are around $700. Add in 32GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, an SSD boot drive, a secondary HDD drive, quiet case, quiet PSU, your right around $2K. If I DIY it and look for sales and such I could probably do it for a little less.

In my case it will double as a gaming PC so I probably should add liquid cooling to keep noise down for when I use it for recording, then add in an entry level current Gen Nvidia card and depending on the specs on the video card you're going to drop between $2500 - $5000. If you want to go with the Gen 12 i7 or i9 with embedded GPU add more. The cost difference between the i5 and i7 isn't that much but you jump significantly when going to the i9. I know how video cards can suddenly crap out so I want a CPU with GPU in it. You can get cheaper ones but I don't want that.

I've always built my own DAW's and gaming PC's. I built this i7 6700 and it is rock solid. I even do light video editing with it and it doesn't even have a video card. But it's PCI 3.0 only and all the new video cards are PCI 4.0 plus it's not supported by Win 11. I do feel better that I can milk another 3 years out of it. As I said before the last thing I read said Win 10 was done sometime 2023.

Shane

by PreAl on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm
Everybody has their own personal choices but from my perspective liquid cooling is more trouble than it's worth, and can be prone to accidents. PSU's and fans can be pretty quiet nowadays with SSD's that are silent, a good quiet case is also required (avoid glass).

In my view overclocking is a big no no with DAWs. Reliability should be the single most important factor, unless you also want to play Flight Simulator 2020 as well. Having a dedicated OS that only has DAW apps (and maybe video editing apps) really helps with stability and performance (so I go the multi OS/multi boot route).

It can be tempting to go mad with specs when you really don't need to (just how much horse power do you need for a DAW? You really need all those tracks and plugins running at once?). Having said that I got an i9 with 32gb, but then I like my Flight Simulator and video editing, plus it's great for software development (that's another multiboot OS).

And of course a decent backup strategy is compulsory along with a good deal of time spent optimizing the environment for latency and performance.

Anyway you have till late 2025 with Win 10. M$ may even extend it by another year if people get militant about it.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2