33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
From version 5.2 up to the current 5.5 there is a persisting annoying problem with the playback of instrument tracks with sustain data inside (eg. arpeggiated piano). The problem starts when any other track is selected or solo-unsolo, whereby sustain stops, gets to zero and there are only dry notes without a sustain pedal. I searched forum posts and checked every detail of the problem (external keyboard devices setup, midi channels, midi monitoring, etc). The problem didn't exist before version 5.2. I also have Studio One 3 installed, which works ok with sustain. Obviously, it's a bug. If there is a lot of sustain pedal in the project (eg. with a piano as the main track) the workflow is difficult because of this issue. It's not a minor thing. Already six updates (including the latest) ignored this issue. Presonus team seems to react on request quantity, so whoever recognizes this problem, it could be useful to send his request. Thanks.
Last edited by antokovacic on Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
by kisnou on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:19 pm
antokovacic wroteFrom version 5.2 to 5.3 I register an annoying problem with the playback of instrument tracks with sustain data inside (eg. arpeggiated piano). Everything is fine until I change track (switch/select another track) or solo/unsolo some track, whereby sustain stops, gets to zero and I hear dry notes without a sustain pedal. I searched forum posts and checked every detail of the problem (external keyboard devices setup, midi channels, midi monitoring, etc). The problem didn't exist before version 5.2. I also have Studio One 3 installed, which works ok with sustain. It looks like a bug to me. Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice? Thanks!

I'm experiencing the same problem with Kontakt libraries and multi instruments. I can confirm that there is something weird going on and that needs to be addressed.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:20 pm
antokovacic wrote Everything is fine until I change track (switch/select another track) or solo/unsolo some track

When you select the track it works and when you select something else it doesn't work.

Does it again work when you select the track again?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by antokovacic on Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:39 am
Tacman7 wroteDoes it again work when you select the track again?

For external VSTi (eg. Kontakt), no - once sustain stops, nothing helps but stoping and restarting playback. For internal VSTi (like Presence XT, MaiTai), sustain reactivates as soon as it gets the new "sustain on".
The cause seems to be in midi monitoring. When automatic midi-monitoring is turned off (the option "Instrument Input Follows Selection" unchecked), switching between tracks doesn't cause the problem.

Studio One Professional 5.3
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
RAM 16,0GB
by kisnou on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:47 am
antokovacic wrote
Tacman7 wroteDoes it again work when you select the track again?

For external VSTi (eg. Kontakt), no - once sustain stops, nothing helps but stoping and restarting playback. For internal VSTi (like Presence XT, MaiTai), sustain reactivates as soon as it gets the new "sustain on".
The cause seems to be in midi monitoring. When automatic midi-monitoring is turned off (the option "Instrument Input Follows Selection" unchecked), switching between tracks doesn't cause the problem.

I can confirm this as well. I also experience some issues with the sustain pedal when I use the retrospective record.

If the previous part had sustain automations, and after it I record a new part with retrospective rec + sustain pedal, I get the midi of the new part correctly, but the previous one loses the sustain pedal or sometimes causes the sustain to not work at all..

I can't figure out why but it seems like something that does not depend on the user.

https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by robertgray3 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:45 am
In 5.3 there’s also an annoying bug where sometimes a track will end up in a state where Loop Take Record will remove the sustain data when you stop recording. There’s some precondition for it but I haven’t found it (and the same song behaves correctly loaded in earlier versions).

Just mentioning that to confirm that there is some sort of sustain issue in 5.3, but I’m not sure what brings it up and so far it’s been somewhat rare for me.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Fornicras on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:00 am
robertgray3 wroteIn 5.3 there’s also an annoying bug where sometimes a track will end up in a state where Loop Take Record will remove the sustain data when you stop recording. There’s some precondition for it but I haven’t found it (and the same song behaves correctly loaded in earlier versions).

Just mentioning that to confirm that there is some sort of sustain issue in 5.3, but I’m not sure what brings it up and so far it’s been somewhat rare for me.

Yeah, I experienced the same issue like this one and also the other issues indicated by other users in this thread.

Sustain is very problematic right now for me.

Using Studio One 6 (Always the latest version)

System
i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, 2080TI, 34" 4K Display & 55" 4K Professional Display, Windows 10
Studio I/O
Lewitt LCT-440, Yamaha HS7, PreSonus Studio 1824c, Beyerdynamics DT1990, Audio Technica M50X
Studio Gear
Arturia Keylab 88 MK2, Atom Pad, Atom SQ
Instruments
Cordoba GK Studio, Takamine GJ72CE, Godin Session, Yamaha F310

R&B Singer / Songwriter / Producer
Website
by antokovacic on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am
Sustain-data behavior obviously is something that needs to be addressed by the developers. I work a lot with piano, and such a problem ruins smooth workflow.

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by kisnou on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:14 pm
I think we should create a support ticket and ask the team to check for any issues. Hopefully they can find what's not working..

I have sent mine, but it would be best if you could send your tickets as well describing the problems you have encountered. Maybe also link this thread so they can read it :)
Last edited by kisnou on Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by antokovacic on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 pm
kisnou wroteI think we should create a support ticket and ask the team to check for any issues. Hopefully they can find what's not working..

Agree

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by antokovacic on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:02 am
I've created a support ticket and sent a request to support.presonus.

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by antokovacic on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:05 pm
The sustain pedal bug is ignored in the latest update, so I am persistent to push this on the forum and motivate people to send requests.

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by kisnou on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm
antokovacic wroteThe sustain pedal bug is ignored in the latest update, so I am persistent to push this on the forum and motivate people to send requests.

Yes I noticed that and was pretty upset.

In the meantime I noticed another bug which is related to automation. Studio One sees the sustain automation as a constant signal that is being received, consistently and all the time.

For example: in the top-left automation area, the sustain is always considered a received automation signal and therefore makes it impossible to for example hit ALT+A on a parameter that you are using during playback.
If a piano midi track with pedal automation is playing, you try to move a paramter in another plugin to then record it's automation, you won't be able to cause it will be replaced by the sustain automation in the piano track.

You have to stop playback, only then then you can do that.

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by antokovacic on Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:20 pm
kisnou wroteStudio One sees the sustain automation as a constant signal that is being received, consistently and all the time.

For example: in the top-left automation area, the sustain is always considered a received automation signal and therefore makes it impossible to for example hit ALT+A on a parameter that you are using during playback.
If a piano midi track with pedal automation is playing, you try to move a paramter in another plugin to then record it's automation, you won't be able to cause it will be replaced by the sustain automation in the piano track.

@kisnou thanks for your reply. I tried to recreate the problem you described, but that part in my setup seems to work ok. The way you described it, it looks connected with this general sustain automation problem.

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by robertgray3 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:04 pm
kisnou wroteIf a piano midi track with pedal automation is playing, you try to move a paramter in another plugin to then record it's automation, you won't be able to cause it will be replaced by the sustain automation in the piano track.

That one's not a new or unknown bug but it is quite frustrating. The easiest way to avoid that issue [different from the op's issue] is to avoid putting a VST2 or AU in a multi instrument. Sustain pedal changes will constantly be sent to Control Link, meaning Alt+A won't work anymore during playback. Also, if you use the "Recently touched" Control Link feature then this breaks some Faderport functions.

I stopped using multi instruments to avoid this issue.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by kisnou on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:48 pm
robertgray3 wrote
kisnou wroteIf a piano midi track with pedal automation is playing, you try to move a paramter in another plugin to then record it's automation, you won't be able to cause it will be replaced by the sustain automation in the piano track.

That one's not a new or unknown bug but it is quite frustrating. The easiest way to avoid that issue [different from the op's issue] is to avoid putting a VST2 or AU in a multi instrument. Sustain pedal changes will constantly be sent to Control Link, meaning Alt+A won't work anymore during playback. Also, if you use the "Recently touched" Control Link feature then this breaks some Faderport functions.

I stopped using multi instruments to avoid this issue.

Damn! That's bad news.. Did anybody report this? I wonder why it hasn't been fixed yet.. Thank you for letting me know

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by robertgray3 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm
kisnou wroteDamn! That's bad news.. Did anybody report this?

I did, about a year ago. Support said they passed it on to the relevant people. It's been a bug since before version 4.0.

kisnou wroteI wonder why it hasn't been fixed yet.. Thank you for letting me know

No idea, and no problem. Hope that saves other people some confusion. FWIW stock S1 instruments are VST2s so they cause that issue, too.

Just to reiterate, what the original poster mentioned is a newer issue and I don't know what's behind it.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by kisnou on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 am
Just created a new ticket. It's my third one regarding all these problems and they were able to reproduce the bugs in the first two, I really don't get why it is taking so long but hopefully we can see this fixed in the next update.

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by antokovacic on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:09 am
kisnou wroteJust created a new ticket. It's my third one regarding all these problems and they were able to reproduce the bugs in the first two, I really don't get why it is taking so long but hopefully we can see this fixed in the next update.

Just keep doing that, if needed. I already sent two requests for the problem, and if they ignore it in the next update, I'll be persistent and send the request again. Their priorities significantly depend on how many people request something.

Windows 10 Pro
RAM 16,0GB
by kisnou on Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm
antokovacic wrote
kisnou wroteJust created a new ticket. It's my third one regarding all these problems and they were able to reproduce the bugs in the first two, I really don't get why it is taking so long but hopefully we can see this fixed in the next update.

Just keep doing that, if needed. I already sent two requests for the problem, and if they ignore it in the next update, I'll be persistent and send the request again. Their priorities significantly depend on how many people request something.

Yep, I already did that and they told me they are aware of the problem and to "hope" for a fix in the next update

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator

33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2