1 post
Page 1 of 1
EDIT: I figured it out. While the Nektar team did a great job of providing fantastic integration files, they missed one small detail; There is no Surface.xml file for the keyboard instance of the keyboard. Without a surface.xml file, there is no MIDI Learn option.

All I had to do was go into the Nektar folder in the User Devices section of the Studio One 5 folder and find the ImpactLX+Keyboard.device file. In that file I added the following line:
Code: Select all
surfaceFile="ImpactLX+Keyboard.surface.xml"

Then, I created a file in that same folder called ImpactLX+Keyboard.surface.xml and in it I added the following:
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ControlSurface>
   <Controls>
   </Controls>
</ControlSurface>

That's it. When I relaunched Studio One and went into where you do the MIDI Learn I now had the MIDI Learn button available for the Keyboard instance of the device.

So I love my new Nektar LX49+ because it has great Studio One integration (once you install their little PreSonus files that they provide you).

However, something doesn't appear to work well with MIDI learn. The MIDI Learn function is only available with the control surface option and when I try to map custom MIDI CC controls I've created, it doesn't recognize them...

What I'm trying to do is create a Tap Tempo button by remapping one of my drum pads to output a CC message instead of a note. On the Nektar I've remapped a drum pad to output a trigger type message value of CC20 and through the MIDI Monitor in Studio One I've confirmed that Studio One sees the message coming in when I hit the pad on the keyboard. However, when I go into MIDI Learn to add the button, it doesn't see it at all.

I think the issue is that MIDI Learn is only working on the control surface instance of Impact LX49+ instead of the Keyboard instance. What I find odd is that with all previous controllers I've added in the past, the MIDI Learn feature was only enabled for the keyboard instances and never for the control instances.
Studio One 5 - MIDI Learn.png

Studio One 5 -MIDI Monitor.png

I've followed the instructions here to a T and both the keyboard and control instance show up under External Devices exactly like they show in the setup guide.
Studio One 5 - External Devices.png
Studio One 5 - External Devices.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

All of the default controls work perfectly fine and I have no other issues, I just want a Tap Tempo button on the keyboard (why that feature isn't a default on all keyboard controllers, I just don't get it...) and Studio One doesn't seem to want to allow this...

So I guess my question is, how do I get the MIDI Learn function to show up on the Keyboard instance. More generally speaking, what determines if a control surface or keyboard have the MIDI Learn function? I've confirmed that both the control and keyboard instance files are in the Roaming AppData User Devices folder on my PC and not in the Devices folder in the Studio One 5 Install directory.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Using Studio One 5.3.0.65413 Win x64

Software: Studio One 5 v. 5.3.0.65413 Win x64
Hardware: Nektar Impact LX49+; Focusrite Scarlett Solo
PC Specs: Windows 10 64 bit running on Ryzen 5 3600x with 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia RTX 2080 Super

1 post
Page 1 of 1