8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am getting confused with FX and BUS channels in Studio One when it comes to mixing my track. I apologise if I am using Studio One incorrectly but coming from using Digital Performer for 20 years and analog desks before that, the routing in Studio One is really confusing me.

Say I have a couple of reverbs on 2 separate FX channels. I can easily send the sound from several tracks to the reverbs. But now say I would like to filter the sound from one of the tracks before it reached the reverb. Previously I would first send to an FX channel containing a filter and then route this into the Reverb channel. This process appears impossible in Studio One.

In another scenario, I have 5 bass channels which are sent to a base BUS and 10 drum channels which are sent to a drum BUS; great. But then it would be great to route the Bass and Drums BUSes to another BUS; to say compress them together. But this appears impossible too with Studio One.

Am I using Studio One incorrectly, or is the ability to route between several BUSes a missing feature?
On a positive note, I love using Studio One and would say its the best DAW I have used; but the routing is definitely confusing me.
by Tacman7 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

The fx channels don't have sends but you can create one to hold your filter and set its output to your other fx channel.

I have to look at your second scenario closer.

Have you looked into the split tool?

Split.jpg

Lot of things it can do.

Split into as many parts as needed, split by different parameters, different insert/chain for each split.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by jeffbrannon on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:44 am
Ah, thank you.
It took a bit of searching, but I found the ability to route the output of FX channels.
I will also play about with the Splitter.
Very helpful. Thank you.
by mycbeats on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 am
FX are more akin to AUX sends on a mixer -> great for Reverb/Delay etc
Busses are for submixing channesl processing them as a group. -> Drums buss, Guitar L & R, Background vocals etc

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by Tacman7 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 am
The FX channels don't have sends but bus's do.

That should help with your second scenario.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by bailatosco on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:54 am
I think of FX channels in Studio One just as a "legacy leftover", maybe so you can still open your old SO projects.
I use BUSSES for absolutely everything, because why would I use a type of channel that is more limited. In fact I wish there was the option of automatically creating a BUS channel when you drop an effect on the mixer, instead of an FX channel, wich I sometimes do by mistake.

EDIT: there is actually a way to do the above by pressing ALT, so that's not a big deal, it's just sometimes I forget to do it and end up with an fx channel without knowing it... so later on I have to copy the settings to a bus, delete de fx track and copy the routings and send volumes (sometimes, worst case scenario, also redo my "send volume automation").

Also, you can't decide if an FX channel is mono or stereo, pretty annoying.

Anyway, my recommendation is to use BUS CHANNELS ONLY.

Intel i7 - 11700k 5.0Ghz / 32Gb RAM
WIN 10 Pro 64bit
Studio One v5.4.0 Professional
Presonus Studio 192 USB 3.0
by Lokeyfly on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 am
Hi Jeff,
Studio One's FX and send routing shouldn't be confusing at all except the execution is simply easier to create in a number of ways with drag & drop. The conventions by and large are the same as any flexible mixer.

Jeffbrannon wrote: Say I have a couple of reverbs on 2 separate FX channels. I can easily send the sound from several tracks to the reverbs. But now say I would like to filter the sound from one of the tracks before it reached the reverb. Previously I would first send to an FX channel containing a filter and then route this into the Reverb channel. This process appears impossible in Studio One.

In your 1st example, you'd simply setup two sends for your reverb routing. One will have a direct route to one reverb. Any or all tracks can send if you drag that send to another channel. Each track with independent send levels. The other reverb with filtering before it would be in the other reverbs chain. Note: to see what mixer channels report to each Sends Channel, you click on those little vertical lines on each sends channel (at the bottom) and you can see what input tracks are routed there. If you elect to have one or any input channels have their own discreet filtering, add such filtering from the insert FX. I.e. channel strips, EQ, etc. You can even opt to route them pre or post fade.

In your second example, see Tacman7's illustration for  parallel channel routing. That's a real beauty with the option to both split the signal path, or allow crossover splitting at a selected frequency. Huge!

I also come from console mixing and owned a number of desks, including TAC Scorpion (Amek). I believe you just got slightly tripped up on the conventions is all. With a little practice you will find Studio One's mixer quite useful, clear, and elegant.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by studioj on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am
bailatosco wroteI think of FX channels in Studio One just as a "legacy leftover", maybe so you can still open your old SO projects.
I use BUSSES for absolutely everything, because why would I use a type of channel that is more limited. In fact I wish there was the option of automatically creating a BUS channel when you drop an effect on the mixer, instead of an FX channel, wich I sometimes do by mistake.

EDIT: there is actually a way to do the above by pressing ALT, so that's not a big deal, it's just sometimes I forget to do it and end up with an fx channel without knowing it... so later on I have to copy the settings to a bus, delete de fx track and copy the routings and send volumes (sometimes, worst case scenario, also redo my "send volume automation").

Also, you can't decide if an FX channel is mono or stereo, pretty annoying.

Anyway, my recommendation is to use BUS CHANNELS ONLY.

I am new to Studio One, and this has been my realization also... there really is no reason to use FX sends / channels, and I think Studio One should "deprecate" them, eventually phasing them out of the software. Maybe automatically converting FX channels in old sessions to bus channels when they are opened eventually. I think they just create confusion as they are only Bus channels without as many options for routing as far as I can tell.

Studio One v5.5
Pro Tools Ultimate, HDX1
Logic 10.6.2

Mac OS 10.15.7
128 GB RAM
Focusrite Red 8 Pre (thunderbolt mode for Studio One)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1