15 posts
Page 1 of 1
What’s the fastest way to align a varying tempo demo recoding to constant tempo ?
like when an artist sends in a rough demo for song to be produced of a vocal and piano that’s in one track recorded with a phone etc.

is there a way to tap markers while the audio event is playing and then have StudioOne align those tapped markers to the grid ?

Currently I use a mode by putting stretch marker one a a time but it takes up some time, and if I do a stretch bar by bar which results in audio always getting stretched or ‘skewed’ more and more to the right of the stretch points.

And is there a way to disable the marker at the very end of an audio event ( which is always created there automatically and I cant find a way to remove it ). so that when stretching audio by dragging markers, the audio would be stretched only between the markers, and if there will no marker at the very end of the audio event that the audio to the right of the marker will be shifted without stretching ?
by ts-12 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:48 am
in Cubase it's done very conveniently like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3wmIKzScU&t=786s
by Tacman7 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 pm
That video has this in the title: Map the tempo to any freely played song.

So it doesn't change the timing of your track, it changes the tempo so you could add other instruments and they would be on time with it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... po+mapping

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:47 pm
After the tempo mapping you can bounce the track, which saves the tempo map with the track. Then you can clear the tempo track which will make the bounced track play at the tempo track's constant tempo.
by ts-12 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:18 am
Tacman7 wroteThat video has this in the title: Map the tempo to any freely played song.

So it doesn't change the timing of your track, it changes the tempo so you could add other instruments and they would be on time with it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... po+mapping

check it at 13:39, he deleted the tempo variations and the audio began playing in sync with the straight tempo
by Tacman7 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 am
Cool, never tried that.

I'm curious what it can do...

There's only so much you can pitch audio before you get artifacts, but they been getting better at that.

Probably good if you're not too much out of time.

Have you been able to apply that to the material you have?

I was looking at when you record a live band and it's fine but the drummer is not a machine so the timing can wander a few bpm here or there, music sounds fine, tempo problems don't bother people. Only problem with material is drums have audio problems, have to be replace.
That's where a tempo map would let you just add drums and it stay in time with the material.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by garybowling on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 am
I would certainly welcome some work in this area by Presonus.

The ability to work effectively with a "live" recording needs some improvement in S1. It's possible, but to get anything right takes a lot of manual work.

There are multiple ways to go about it. Using Melodyne looked to have some promise and on some songs it works fairly well. On other songs it's a total nightmare. Combine that with very few good tutorials on Melo and it makes it tough. Most of the Melo info/tutorials are all just quick "do this and it works great" videos. Not detailed info showing how to get around the hard cases.

There have been improvements on aligning the grid to the song. In the tempo track you can do this and it can work pretty well, but it's all a manual process. Basically what you do here is turn off stretching, try to initially get the overall tempo as close as possible, then in the tempo track you can insert points and move the grid to match the beats of the song. I've had the best luck with this method, but it's tedious and time consuming.

Even and external tool that is specifically built for this purpose would be nice. Something you could bring in a song, map out, and export the tempo info.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:22 am
The problem is probably with the material you want to tempo map. Without a clear beat in it any automatic tempo mapping tool will struggle. What you can do is play the track and record yourself tapping along, then repair any misses with the bend tool, and then have Melodyne map your tap along track. Works a treat :)
by garybowling on Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:40 pm
SwitchBack wroteThe problem is probably with the material you want to tempo map. Without a clear beat in it any automatic tempo mapping tool will struggle. What you can do is play the track and record yourself tapping along, then repair any misses with the bend tool, and then have Melodyne map your tap along track. Works a treat :)

Yep, done that, it does work a lot better. But my thoughts are that if WE can hear the "one," find the beats and count along with a song, so can a computer!

Just need better programs to do it. :)

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by ts-12 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:22 am
SwitchBack wroteThe problem is probably with the material you want to tempo map. Without a clear beat in it any automatic tempo mapping tool will struggle. What you can do is play the track and record yourself tapping along, then repair any misses with the bend tool, and then have Melodyne map your tap along track. Works a treat :)

tapping along you mean clicking and inserting markers for warp-stretch ? how can I do that in S1 ?
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:33 pm
It’s simply adding a microphone track to your song (quality isn’t important so it can be a laptop’s internal mic) and use it to record yourself literally tapping along with the beat of the song. After recording you can check and tweak the new track to get it right. And then you can use Melodyne to map it.
by ts-12 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 pm
I'm sure there should be an easier way to do this
by SwitchBack on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:05 pm
Play to (a track played to) a click in the first place? If Melodyne can’t achieve a good result (not even to a heavily filtered track) then manual tapping or mapping is all you may be left with.
by jpettit on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:28 pm
ts-12 wroteWhat’s the fastest way to align a varying tempo demo recoding to constant tempo ?
like when an artist sends in a rough demo for song to be produced of a vocal and piano that’s in one track recorded with a phone etc.

is there a way to tap markers while the audio event is playing and then have StudioOne align those tapped markers to the grid ?

Currently I use a mode by putting stretch marker one a a time but it takes up some time, and if I do a stretch bar by bar which results in audio always getting stretched or ‘skewed’ more and more to the right of the stretch points.

And is there a way to disable the marker at the very end of an audio event ( which is always created there automatically and I cant find a way to remove it ). so that when stretching audio by dragging markers, the audio would be stretched only between the markers, and if there will no marker at the very end of the audio event that the audio to the right of the marker will be shifted without stretching ?
\
I made this video seven years ago, but it explains the process of tempo mapping then assigning a flat tempo.
phpBB [video]

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by ts-12 on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:40 am
jpettit wrote
ts-12 wroteWhat’s the fastest way to align a varying tempo demo recoding to constant tempo ?

\
I made this video seven years ago, but it explains the process of tempo mapping then assigning a flat tempo.
phpBB [video]

just finished watching your Studio One Tempo Mapping tutorials on youtube.
really really good content!
tried it on my own and worked out pretty good for me for this type of situation.
even thou the method in cubase is a little faster because in cubase I just tap along with the audio file at the first beat of each bar and place markers there, but in StuioOne I had to do it visually by looking at the waveform.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1