4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I started using S1 as my main DAW now, before that I was using FL20. However, I want to replace my AKAI MPD218 with either of the Atom controllers as they sync perfectly to S1.

But right now I'm not sure what to buy: the Pad or the SQ.
I don't do crazy finger drumming, to be honest, I usually just use the first 4 pads on the MPD218 to program my drums because it feels more satisfying to hit pads to create drums instead of piano keys, or clicking with the mouse.

Therefore I don't think the usual "MPC Style" pad layout is a must for me, but I'm not sure if SQ will feel satisfying due to its small pads compared to the Atom Pad.

I will use it to only control parameters for the VSTs and create drums, I won't use it to play chords or melodies as I have Komplete Kontrol M32 and M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61, and think that the keys will always feel better than pads while playing chords/melodies.

What do you suggest?

Using Studio One 6 (Always the latest version)

System
i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, 2080TI, 34" 4K Display & 55" 4K Professional Display, Windows 10
Studio I/O
Lewitt LCT-440, Yamaha HS7, PreSonus Studio 1824c, Beyerdynamics DT1990, Audio Technica M50X
Studio Gear
Arturia Keylab 88 MK2, Atom Pad, Atom SQ
Instruments
Cordoba GK Studio, Takamine GJ72CE, Godin Session, Yamaha F310

R&B Singer / Songwriter / Producer
Website
by IanM5 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 am
From your description I actually think you don't need either. The M32 and Oxygen take care of VST knobs and your MPD does the drums. But if you are desperate to spend some money the Atom Pad will give you better drum pads and for less money than the SQ.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Fornicras on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 am
IanM5 wroteFrom your description I actually think you don't need either. The M32 and Oxygen take care of VST knobs and your MPD does the drums. But if you are desperate to spend some money the Atom Pad will give you better drum pads and for less money than the SQ.

Yes I know I actually don't need it but what also want is the ability to navigate and control Studio One with an external controller. Most of the things that are possible with Atom or SQ are not possible with any of my devices.

I also want to replace my MPD218 due to the double-triggering problem, which drives me crazy.

Using Studio One 6 (Always the latest version)

System
i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, 2080TI, 34" 4K Display & 55" 4K Professional Display, Windows 10
Studio I/O
Lewitt LCT-440, Yamaha HS7, PreSonus Studio 1824c, Beyerdynamics DT1990, Audio Technica M50X
Studio Gear
Arturia Keylab 88 MK2, Atom Pad, Atom SQ
Instruments
Cordoba GK Studio, Takamine GJ72CE, Godin Session, Yamaha F310

R&B Singer / Songwriter / Producer
Website
by robertgray3 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:12 pm
Fornicras wroteI also want to replace my MPD218 due to the double-triggering problem, which drives me crazy.

In that case you might not want to replace it with an SQ

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

4 posts
Page 1 of 1