8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all:

I want to automate the volume changes of an imported WAV file using a sine wave. I generated the audio file as a 50 HZ sine wave tone using the built-in tone generator in Studio One and then rendered it to a WAV file. I know how to add track automation and use the paint tool in the "sine" mode to add the volume automation for the audio track. However, unlike what happens for an instrument track, changing the quantize value does not modify the frequency of the automation for the volume of the WAV file.

What I really want is to add a sine wave automation to the volume of the WAV file at a frequency of 10 cycles per second. Aside from pulling and stretching the resulting automation for the WAV track (very imperfect results), is it possible to input a specific value for the automation of the volume (such as 10 cycles per second)?

Actually, I don't see how to add a specific sine value to an automation curve to an instrument track either.
Last edited by alfredohuerta on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by Tacman7 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:13 am
Sounds like you should be a plugin designer.

So volume effects the whole track and you want to turn it up and down according to what is going on in the file @ 10k.

You could duplicate the track and put a filter on it then use it as a sidechain to the original track.

Have you used the split tool? It can split by frequency or other parameters.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by alfredohuerta on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:47 am
Unfortunately I'm not a plugin designer or programmer. I'm a botanist. Oh well.

What I want to achieve is to make a basic low frequency tone with certain characteristics at about 50 Hz and then make the volume of it go up and down at 10 Hz. It would end up sounding kind of like a military helicopter flying overhead, but I want the frequency to be exactly 10 Hz.

It seems like it would be so easy for the Presonus programmers to add an option so that one could set the frequency of the sine wave used in the automation parameter.

Windows 10/64
by alfredohuerta on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 pm
Helicopter sound at about 10 HZ.mp3
(684.79 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
After lots of fiddling around I was able to come up with the attached audio file. However, it was not easy and required lots of copying, pasting, and stretching the volume automation. It should be easier if the automation sine wave had an adjustable "frequency" parameter associated with it.

Windows 10/64
by Jemusic on Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm
You might be better off using MaiTai instead. Setting an oscillator for 50 Hz eg playing the note on the keyboard to give you 50 Hz. Then use the LFO set for 10 Hz to modulate the volume amplitude. You could also use both oscillators slightly detuned for a better effect as well.

I could make the patch for you.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by alfredohuerta on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I know that I "could" use Mai Tai but I want to apply that volume frequency variation to other WAV files (such as certain musical chords), not only ones that Mai Tai can generate. I used the helicopter sound as an example, not as the goal that I want to achieve.

Windows 10/64
by mycbeats on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 am
Two stock plugins to look in to:

X-Trem is what you're looking for.
One of the sync options should be "free", you can then enter the value in Hz and how much you want the LFO to affect pan or volume.

Autofilter can do similar but with filters.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by alfredohuerta on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:04 am
Thanks mycbeats! That's more or less what I'm looking for!

Windows 10/64

8 posts
Page 1 of 1