5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all! I usually use samples of shakers and create tracks out of them, manipulating them to sound as realistic as possible, but for my latest record, I'd like to record live shakers. I want to keep it simple and record with the shaker egg I have, then during the mixing process I'll bring it up with the music.

I'm looking for a wide sound for the shakers. Most of the song will consist of a typical, steady shaker rhythm, but during certain parts (or maybe just at the end of the song) I'd like to perform a longer shaker rhythm, moving from the left side of the stereo field into the right side. With this said, I'm obviously going to need to record in stereo, right? Also, can anybody give me some recording suggestions for shakers? What would be good microphone types to use? If there is anything else I should know, I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Thank you! :)

Aron

Specs: Mac mini (M1 2020) > Chip: Apple M1 > Memory: 16 GB > OS: Big Sur v11.2 - Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen - Yamaha HS7 Monitors > Studio One V5 > Maschine MK3 > Nektar Impact LX88+
by Tacman7 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 am
If you have a stereo mic setup you can give it a try.

Could be good if you were able to track to it in stereo for parts.

I think I would record a mono track and use processing to do whatever needed.

You can try that without buying any additional mics if you only have one.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by astokesmusic on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm
@Tacman7 Okay thanks! So, when you say recording it in mono and processing it later, do you mean I could use a plug-in that can turn it stereo/add width or perhaps delay it over to the right if I have it panned left?

Specs: Mac mini (M1 2020) > Chip: Apple M1 > Memory: 16 GB > OS: Big Sur v11.2 - Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen - Yamaha HS7 Monitors > Studio One V5 > Maschine MK3 > Nektar Impact LX88+
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 pm
I have recorded them using a smaller diaphragm condenser mic. Or if its a larger condenser mic then if your mic allows it its not a bad idea to roll off some bottom end before recording if you can. eg HPF. There is no low energy in a shaker

You don't want to get too close to the mic either. About a foot or even a little more. You need a quiet space to do it usually.

I prefer to record them in mono as well. I will often add some more HPF a little higher up and maybe add a little boost at the very high end too eg 6-8 kHz etc.. Widening a shaker part actually is not a great idea as it can loose focus a little or become less defined. You can always pan a mono track later using automation. A little light compression to keep levels even. You don't need it high in the mix actually before you hear it. It can cut through quite early with lower level volume settings.

Obviously the quality of shaker performances rest on your ability to play the part really in time with the existing music or click. They do require some practice.

There are some plug-ins that do it very well. This one in fact:

https://klevgrand.se/products/skaka

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Yeah, "eggz" shakers are awsome. If you want longer shakes, or even different pitches, take some of the mic'ed samples you made from discussing here with the guys, and run them into Sample One. You can even record some shaker Rythms, and sample them real time into Sample One. Each time you stop, Sample One will create another key automatically waiting for that next sample! You'll have many variation you can trigger from different keys off your controller, or in edit view.

The other way could be to spread the segments (events) out on the arrangement with two tracks. Your option to have them either stereo or mono. Pan each track slightly and place the events where you want them, moving from one track or to the other. You're not held to those pans either. Try pan automation on both tracks having them move around. Just enough to get a nice groove on!

Enjoy!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

5 posts
Page 1 of 1