6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all:

I need to find a way to generate some soft background sounds/music in Studio One 5 Pro and I have to do it without the full version of Kontakt. I want to create evolving soothing sounds for someone to use in their yoga class. I have seen the GrainStates plugin and that sort of does what I want but it require Kontakt Full. I'm willing to purchase a VST plugin if it is under about $40 or $50.

Is there a way to do this "within" Studio One 5 Pro without purchasing a plugin. If not, can anyone recommend a plugin that I can purchase for this?

Thanks!

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by sebastianholtzer on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:31 am
Have a look here at "The Mangle" from Sound Guru.
phpBB [video]

It`s for 19Pounds. Don`t know how much it is in Euros / Dollars.

Otherwise there is a nice Plugin from Audiority called "Grain Space" and it`s more than just a Reverb. It even has a Chord Resonator. Version 2 is far more extended than the first one was and needs more time to get used to it, but it`s great for getting that Sound you`re looking for, i guess. At least if you watch from min 4:35 you agree for sure. Have a look here:
phpBB [video]
by alfredohuerta on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm
Hello! Thanks so much for the tips for those two plugins. I might just end up getting both!

That said, I have been experimenting with Studio One 5 Pro to see if I can do this on my own without any plugins and it looks like it is incredibly easy! All I have to do is to add a pad or string instrument, play some long notes or chords, and then add a slowly changing sine wave automation to the "Filter Cutoff" and it sounds surprisingly good! I will have to experiment with different types of sounds.

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by Jemusic on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:52 pm
I have had to do his on occasions for meditation etc. There is an approach that works. The idea is to setup a synth setup involving a number of virtual instruments and hardware synths if you have them. With a variety of pad sounds mainly but also some slow attack tuned percussion sounds and also some folk world instruments will also work well aded in tastefully.

Now you create a series of events for each track. Only a handful is required. Of different lengths too. eg 3 bars, 4 bars, 5 bars, 6 bars etc.. The chord track is a good starting point. These can be converted to midi parts with long notes etc.. Also you would play stuff in. In a base key like C. Only 4 chord types needed at first. Chords can be transposed midi wise into any key. Inversions altered if the chords end up too low or high after transposed.

Any grooves for the percussion sounds should be super slow and very sparse. These events should be labelled as to keys and scale choices. You can work with the metronome say on a slow BPM such as 60. You don't do anything though to reveal the tempo as such.

Create a series of audio events too with an electric guitar say plugged into a processor with some real long dreamy special effects incorporated. Just doing slow plucked notes with very slow attacks eg turning volume knob up after plucking string. EBow is good for this too. Bends etc.. In various keys. Save these in a special folder along with the midi parts for later use.

Now with some quick editing, events on tracks can be strung together. The odd lengths butted up against each other ensure things take forever to repeat. You butt things differently on each track. keeping an eye on correct keys and scales etc..You back up all these events in a special ambient folder which allows you to pull these out as a template ready to create ambient pieces whenever you like. Ambient pieces could be put together in the base key (C) and the chord track could be used to create the progressions from that. Drag the slow guitar events out and sprinkle in and out at random in the arrangement.

Very long ambient pieces can be created quickly that might be 10 mins, 15 and 20 minute lengths. Perfect for yoga and meditation. Slow key changes that take a long time to do and don't sound obvious will add to harmonic interest. Choose nice common chords in both keys and use as a slow stepping stone. Remain in the new keys for a while before changing again. Make sure sounds have a long release so when the midi note off's happen the sounds keep going and overlap beautifully. Vary the release times for all the synths.

Long delays and reverbs all add to the texture as well. Use liberally.

Soothing sound effects such as soft waves mixed in at a low level in stereo could also be added through the arrangement easily. Coming in and out with very slow fades etc..

Native Instruments Space Drone which is free and runs in the free Reaktor player can generate ever evolving ambient textures which can be worked by you to fit into the above scenario. Even the ones you create for Space Drone can be stored and later recalled. Space Drone + (Also free) is a new version as well as the original. There are some very melodic patches in this version. Need to played via the keyboard to work.

Creative editing will result in beautiful long ambient pieces that are ever changing and never repeat themselves. The whole thing can be printed through once in real time or quickly if its an all virtual setup.

Mangle is also a beautiful plugin and if you give it some real nice raw materials to work with then then lovely sounds can also be generated and added in to the whole mix.

Listen to the ultimate ambient album which is Brian Eno's Ambient 4 (On Land) and also Apollo for ideas as the type of textures and sounds you can do. Don't over do it either. The timing of chord progressions should be slow. Create space in the sound you are going for. Its surprising how little you need to create a big deep wide texture. Leave room for the listener to imagine sounds in the existing soundscape.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 pm
Along with the two excellent suggestions by sebastianholtzer, try running both of them through or with varied samples from the Studio One's library, creating your own background and pad elements. With a little practice and experimenting, you can get some super dreamy sounding swells, and dynamic transients. Add different effects processors, and a dose of Presence XT, or Mai Tai or even your own vocals blended in. Throw a delay on it, or subtle Arpegiator sequences and you'll be off and running.
Want awsome, literally unlimited background pads as well? Sample One will sample whatever you can conjure up. Of course with a little treatment, honestly it won't take much, you can have lush creamy pads. Multi layer them. Only ones imagination can soar, or limit sound possibilities. The best part is you are the creator. V'Ger needs to bond with its creator! :)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by sebastianholtzer on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 am
alfredohuerta wroteThat said, I have been experimenting with Studio One 5 Pro to see if I can do this on my own without any plugins and it looks like it is incredibly easy! All I have to do is to add a pad or string instrument, play some long notes or chords, and then add a slowly changing sine wave automation to the "Filter Cutoff" and it sounds surprisingly good! I will have to experiment with different types of sounds.

Ah, you meant stuff like this? That`s pretty for sure. I love these kind of sounds.
phpBB [video]

6 posts
Page 1 of 1