8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Posting after much research.
I want to drive external synth from Studio One. This is the first time I have tried this with S1.

I use a Focusrite Liquid 56 (L56) interface. It has MIDI in and out and is attached via firewire to the computer. It also has a MIDI activity indicator light.
I plug the MIDI out of my Prophet '08 to the L56 MIDI in. Note on from the Prophet Lights up the L56 indicator. I can record MIDI in S1 and drive virtual synths. Cables are good.

Problem: MIDI data from S1 playback does not cause the L56 MIDI indicator to light. or data get sent to Prophet.

I have followed the steps to create both an external keyboard and instrument. The L56 is the receiver for MIDI sends. I don't think MIDI channels are relevant; the L56 takes all in.

If I perform an L56 loopback test, plugging the MIDI out to the MIDI in, the MIDI indicator light goes nuts. MIDIOX indicates data is flowing. There's a boatload of aftertouch messages. Not sure why, no key is depressed. But note on/off messages can be seen when the MIDI track is playing.

So I don't get it. Looks like the L56 is able to accept MIDI in but is not receiving data from theS1 MIDI track playback.

Any ideas? Some little button or setting or somesuch I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

JA
Last edited by johnanzinger on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Win 10 (latest) on SSD
S1 V5 Pro latest
10 GB RAM
2.8 i7 Intel
Radeon HD5800 graphics
Songs on 7200 hard drive
Focusrite Liquid 56
by mycbeats on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am
Double check your midi channel settings and also review your Focusrite software mixer.

Also, you will want to update S1 to at least 5.1.2 where a lot of MIDI jitter issues were (finally) resolved.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by johnanzinger on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:23 am
I mispoke; I am on the latest version of S1 v5 pro.

Saffire mix control has very little, if anything, with regard to MIDI config. The S1 external instrument is sending on channel 1. The L56 has no channel settings; it is omni.

Win 10 (latest) on SSD
S1 V5 Pro latest
10 GB RAM
2.8 i7 Intel
Radeon HD5800 graphics
Songs on 7200 hard drive
Focusrite Liquid 56
by Tacman7 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:10 pm
You said that you hooked up a midi cable, did you hook up two midi cables?

One for in, one for out.

Is your synth set to receive midi? Sometimes you have to tell it to use usb midi or legacy midi etc.

Not sure what all is there but good to go through the keyboard settings. Do you like to work with local off on the synth?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by johnanzinger on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 pm
Yes, there are two MIDI cables going to the Liquid 56.
The issue is with the internal (via firewire) MIDI in on the Liquid 56. The MIDI data from Studio One is not getting to the internal MIDI in.
The synth settings should be fine. The Prophet has only 5-pin MIDI.
Driving me nuts.
The L56 is no longer supported by Focusrite. The firewire works for audio and I can record MIDI from the Prophet to S1.
Just not getting it. I keep thinking there’s some secret setting in S1 that I’m missing.

Tacman7 wroteYou said that you hooked up a midi cable, did you hook up two midi cables?

One for in, one for out.

Is your synth set to receive midi? Sometimes you have to tell it to use usb midi or legacy midi etc.

Not sure what all is there but good to go through the keyboard settings. Do you like to work with local off on the synth?

Win 10 (latest) on SSD
S1 V5 Pro latest
10 GB RAM
2.8 i7 Intel
Radeon HD5800 graphics
Songs on 7200 hard drive
Focusrite Liquid 56
by Jemusic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm
Have you set up your External Instruments correctly? If you have used the two External devices have you set them up correctly.

First is a keyboard (icon is a little keyboard) Its RECEIVE FROM should be set to the Interface Midi as listed in the menu. SEND TO should be set to NONE. This allows midi to flow into Studio One.

Second External device you need is an Instrument (Icon is slider with two little knobs on it) SEND TO is set to the Audio Interface Midi as in the menu RECEIVE FROM is set to NONE. This allows Studio One to send midi to an external device.

If you have done all this OK is the synth set for the correct receive midi channel. Which is determined by the Instrument track and will most likely be channel 1.(Or check that by the way) I recently spent quite some time chasing a silent synth only to find its midi channel had been changed.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by johnanzinger on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 pm
Thanks for the replies.
Working now, but I'm not sure why. Operator error of some sort, I reckon. Or a cable wasn't seated in my original test or something...
Glad that the defunct L56 can still perform.

Win 10 (latest) on SSD
S1 V5 Pro latest
10 GB RAM
2.8 i7 Intel
Radeon HD5800 graphics
Songs on 7200 hard drive
Focusrite Liquid 56
by Jemusic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 pm
Sounds good. Yes even older interfaces like that should still work fine. Sometimes with midi plugs it only takes them being slightly out and not connecting fully to interrupt signal flow.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

8 posts
Page 1 of 1