4 posts
Page 1 of 1
hi,

thinking of upgrading my studio computer and really jealous looking at those new M1 Macs. there're lots of benchmarks regarding performance, but not really one regarding long-time stability with low buffer size.

my use case: I have a Thunderbolt audio interface and I use it with 1.5ms in latency and 1.5ms out latency (that's 3ms RTT). to worsen the things, I run it at 24/96 and run three different cue mixes and a bit of real-time processing (everyone want a limiter on their headphone mix, right?).

so wondering if there're some folks around that tried a similar use case and determined if M1 Macs are good or good enough. like you can run a 15-minute recording session in those conditions and have not a single drop-out?

thanks

by mycbeats on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:15 am
I'm sure when we finally get native support it will handle it no problem.
My only concern is if Rosetta emulation will be able to handle super low latency at the moment.

If you have a template, send it to me and I'll try it out on my M1 MBP + IO station - not exactly the set up youre after but could maybe provide some insight.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by vasilykorytov on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:20 am
mycbeats wroteI'm sure when we finally get native support it will handle it no problem.
My only concern is if Rosetta emulation will be able to handle super low latency at the moment.

frankly my concerns are MacOS Big Sur and firmware. older Mac OS and firmware did a pretty good job of being stable with regards to no interrupts to real-time audio, but not really sure if they didn't break this in the new software and hardware.

I do have a 2020 Intel Mac running Catalina, it seems stable, but sounds like a rocket jet when I'm running a recording session.

mycbeats wroteIf you have a template, send it to me and I'll try it out on my M1 MBP + IO station - not exactly the set up youre after but could maybe provide some insight.

many thanks for offering this, but it seems that it will be not really matching for my use case:
1. latency of IO station and my Thunderbolt interface seems to differ in several times
2. I believe, the IO station has only one pair of outputs, so not sure if cue mixes will make any sense (yeah, I do feel difference in S1 performance depending on whether I run one cue mix or three cue mixes; this might depend more on limiters for every mix, but not really sure)

by mycbeats on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 am
The M1 is very powerful, in native mode its scores on benchmarks rival my 12 core Ryzen.
But under rosetta emulation, its maybe 30-40% efficient and runs closer to a base laptop i7.

The added layer in between Studio One and OS/drivers is the only point concern I can see.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation

4 posts
Page 1 of 1