4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Assuming I have the same set of plugins, what can I expect if I open (or attempt to open) older unfinished 2.6 songs in 5.2?

I should mention that I still have my old PC, which was never upgraded from 2.6, that still runs fine, so returning to this former setup is an option if 5.2 is going to get confused trying to open 2.6 songs and it's more advisable to stick with that.

Or am I possibly anticipating the worse, when the unfinished 2.6 songs will probably open just fine on the new PC running 5.2?

Thanks for all advice and opinions!

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by wolfjames on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:05 pm
Just make sure to back up everything before you try it. It's impossible to know if you will have any issues with the plugins until you try it. Be aware that if you open the 2.6 version in 5.2 or later, and then save it, you won't be able to open it in 2.6 again (but you can open the backup).
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:07 pm
One thing to expect is that many of the stock plug-ins and instruments have changed quite a bit over the years. There’s an article about one or two of them but a lot of the changes weren’t really documented so if you used a lot of stock plug-ins and instruments expect to re-mix those or re-draw automation to match new value ranges.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by MisterE on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:06 pm
So then all the audio parts should theoretically open just fine? Or can I cross off theoretically and expect that's what will happen?

Exact plugins matching is close to a non-issue for me, as I don't do final mixes, although it would save a little time if newer versions of the same plugins weren't confused and approximated the same sounds for my rough working mixes. I'm guessing "possibly" is the reality check answer to the question about will newer versions of the plugins recreate the settings I used a while ago?

I never use automation.

What about Melodyne and Vocalign? Any theories what will happen to tracks they were used on if they make the leap from 2.6 to 5.2?

I'm aware I can't go back to 2.6 with changes made with 5.2.

I guess one strategy would be to export the keeper WAV files from the unfinished 2.6 songs and just import them into 5.2. I wouldn't lose as much work as most people cause I don't get deep into mixing while I'm tracking and just get things in the ballpark for mix engineers to process way better than I can.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII

4 posts
Page 1 of 1