8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, I have a guest in the studio with an old Yamaha digital piano which has only a USB port out for any midi. I've got a 1810C interface.
Is there a generic driver or simple Yamaha driver I can install to connect it to S1/5?
So far, I'm only finding all kinds of confusing Yamaha driver software and bundles that I don't quite "get", and would rather avoid installing for this one-off project.
Thanks!

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:23 am
What is the exact model of the piano? Is your computer Mac or Windows?

The piano cannot be that old. If it was older it would only have 5 pin Din midi connectors on it. For a while there they had both types of connection. Its only more recent models where they have started to leave the 5 pin Midi connection off.

If the piano only has a USB port you need to connect it directly to the computer. The interface wont be involved. (not for midi but still for audio of course) The piano will feature a USB type B connection. (the almost square one) the computer will require the standard USB A connection. The flat one. A standard USB B to USB A lead will do the trick.

Then you may have to download and install a driver to get the computer to see it. Unless its class compliant and it should work right off the bat. If a driver does need to be installed then it wont hurt your computer either after the project is gone either. You can probably uninstall the driver as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by mycbeats on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:06 am
It depends if its class compliant drivers. If so, once plugged in you should see the ports available under external devices in studio one.

You may need to go into the settings of the keyboard and turn on midi mode or PC mode or something of that sorts.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by GMHague on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Jemusic wroteWhat is the exact model of the piano? Is your computer Mac or Windows?

The piano cannot be that old. If it was older it would only have 5 pin Din midi connectors on it. For a while there they had both types of connection. Its only more recent models where they have started to leave the 5 pin Midi connection off.

If the piano only has a USB port you need to connect it directly to the computer. The interface wont be involved. (not for midi but still for audio of course) The piano will feature a USB type B connection. (the almost square one) the computer will require the standard USB A connection. The flat one. A standard USB B to USB A lead will do the trick.

Then you may have to download and install a driver to get the computer to see it. Unless its class compliant and it should work right off the bat. If a driver does need to be installed then it wont hurt your computer either after the project is gone either. You can probably uninstall the driver as well.

Sorry, I should have explained I'm well familiar with all the above. It was more all the Yamaha "extra" software, a bit like the software portals and hubs that Plugin Alliance and such have, that I was hoping to avoid just to access a simple driver for the keyboard. I was wondering if there such a thing as a generic driver for this situation. I'll dig a little deeper into the model specs
mycbeats wroteIt depends if its class compliant drivers. If so, once plugged in you should see the ports available under external devices in studio one.

You may need to go into the settings of the keyboard and turn on midi mode or PC mode or something of that sorts.

Yes, good point. Worth a dig around in the keyboard settings.
Thanks guys, I got a few hours before the next session to see what I can do.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:44 pm
It would still be good to know what the piano model is. It means I can research it a bit more deeply for you.

Don't think there is a generic driver as such. Usually when Yamaha wants you to download a driver for a specific product it needs to be that exact driver.

Try connecting direct to the computer and see if it picks it up as a class compliant thing.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by fmaestas on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:21 pm
I had an older Yamaha MO8 and MO6. I used this version of the Yamaha driver, worked well with both.
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/ ... r_mac.html

If you need Windows, not sure which version that is.
Maybe this one.
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/ ... 4_kbd.html

S1 Pro 6.5, Logic, Reaper, macOS BigSur
My Bandcamp
by Jemusic on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:29 am
That driver might work.

by GMHague on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 am
I found a driver, thanks everyone. Can admin mark this as solved please?

8 posts
Page 1 of 1