6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I would like to display more info on my screen and am considering upgrading to a larger(43”) 4K TV, with the corresponding video card upgrade in my Windows PC.

Would a TV (instead of a monitor) be good enough to work with? TVs are a lot cheaper than monitors.

Would 4K allow me to see more info? For example, would I see more tracks in my mixer?

Thanks!

Studio One 5 Prime
Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2
Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface
OreSonus Eris 3.5
Lenovo X1 Carbon on Windows10
by Vocalpoint on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:32 am
geodinocarpio wroteI would like to display more info on my screen and am considering upgrading to a larger(43”) 4K TV, with the corresponding video card upgrade in my Windows PC.

Would a TV (instead of a monitor) be good enough to work with? TVs are a lot cheaper than monitors.

Would 4K allow me to see more info? For example, would I see more tracks in my mixer?

Thanks!

I use a circa 2009 Samsung HD TV for my monitor - been running this way for years. Mine is set to standard 1080p so the available "space" is the same as it would be on a typical desktop monitor set to 1080p.

A 4K monitor is the same deal - only it allows higher resolution = more tracks. If you eyes can handle it - simply "up" the resolution. Onscreen - things will get smaller - in some cases a lot smaller but you will see more tracks etc. You would need to play around and see what works for your eyes.

Once your 4K TV is connected - the Windows 10 display panel will tell you what's possible and which resolutions you can use (assuming you are using Windows 10)

And of course your computer graphics connection will need to fully support 4K to get the most out of a 4K TV.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by mycbeats on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 am
I use a 50" 4K TCL tv.

I use it at native resolution basically as 4 x 1080p monitors.

The most important spec to look for is to make sure the TV supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. If a TV does not have this, the text will be blurry.

The only downside is you may only be able to run it at 30hz refresh rate due to older HDMI standards. Usually 4K monitors use Displayport which TVs dont usually have.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by gregghart on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am
Basically, Monitors tend to have a sharper image, even if the TV is the same resolution. Some of the more high end TVs look pretty good, but I still find the text to be iffy...even on TVs that have the 4:4:4 subsampling.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by j0001s on Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:27 pm
Some TVs can be as sharp as a monitor. My Hisense 43" certainly is.

BUT, for it to be sharp, you have to disable all the signal processing crap (Dejuddering, frame interpolation, etc). Some sets let you, others don't. And price is not an indicator of this.

Here's a current article reviewing TVs as monitors: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor
by mycbeats on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 am
j0001s wroteSome TVs can be as sharp as a monitor. My Hisense 43" certainly is.

BUT, for it to be sharp, you have to disable all the signal processing crap (Dejuddering, frame interpolation, etc). Some sets let you, others don't. And price is not an indicator of this.

Here's a current article reviewing TVs as monitors: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

This is correct, the difference in sharpness is only noticeable at nose length away. At arms length away its negligible.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation

6 posts
Page 1 of 1