21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hello,

I've built a Multi-Instrument consisting of a few Impact XT instances in order to build a big drum kit.

After going into the drum editor and writing the correct names for all the drum kit pieces, now I wish to save them as a preset and I can't figure out how.

I read a few posts where people were saying to click the wrench icon at the top of the drum editor to go into edit mode and then pressing the "paper" shaped document icon, after which a menu with a save option would appear.

Actually I watched a YT video by Marcus Huyskens where I can see him doing this, but for some reason on my project the save menu option doesn't appear.

Please check the screenshots below:

Marcus's screenshot:
Drum Editor Names Markus.png

Mine:
Drum Editor Names.jpg

As you can see, on my system the 'Store Preset' menu option is unavailable. Does anyone know what I'm doing differently from Marcus?

Thanks!
Miguel Barrosa

Studio One 6.5.2.97444 macOS ARM64 (Built on December 13 2023)
MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
UAD Apollo x8p + 2x UAD Satellite TB Octa Core + UAD Apollo Twin Quad Mk II
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by Trucky on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:16 am
To help better understand your setup, please post a screenshot of your Multi Instrument that shows the dropdown menu you're seeing.

Example:

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by OneFingerSnap on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 am
Hi Trucky, thanks for your reply.

Here goes the screenshot:
Drum Editor Multi Intrument.png

Each Bank A to F corresponds to an Impact instance associated with the first 6 pad banks in Impact.

As I feared, I edited all the names yesterday and today after loading another Impact instance in the session the names got lost, as you can see on the left side of the screenshot. I'd really like to solve this issue...

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by Trucky on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:48 pm
So you're not seeing the same menu options in the dropdown (see my previous screenshot)?
If not, can you upload a zip of a blank song with the multi instrument?
I'll check it out on my system to see what might be the issue.

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 am
Did you store and save the Impact setup first? It sort of strikes me odd that you'd have banks as instances, when (and if) banks of a selected Impact setup, need only be saved itself, or at least first stored with Impact. So to clarify, you're trying to save a multi instrument, but you're using banks off of what? One or numerous Impact setups? I'd probably expect to see not banks shown where you have them in your screenshot, but those be actual Impact saved (and stored) setups. Then, you'd have virtually 6 Impact instances, each with their own A through F banks.

OneFingerSnap wrote: As I feared, I edited all the names yesterday and today after loading another Impact instance in the session the names got lost, as you can see on the left side of the screenshot. I'd really like to solve this issue... 

This sort of doesn't surprise me that you lost the names. I don't know that I'd be grouping banks when they should be (at least in my mind, stored patches (after all, every stored patch of Impact, has their own A thru F banks, so it seems a bit uneasy to track what it is you're doing.
Hope that's clear to you.

Btw, that's seems to be how the names got lost.

Question: is it possible the menu options are not in the drop down, because a multi instrument wasn't creates, but instead was off of one Impact instance?

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by OneFingerSnap on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:15 pm
Trucky wroteSo you're not seeing the same menu options in the dropdown (see my previous screenshot)?
If not, can you upload a zip of a blank song with the multi instrument?
I'll check it out on my system to see what might be the issue.

Hi Trucky, thanks for your help. I've attached the session but I've deleted the samples so it's not too big. I'm curious to see if the same happens to you...

It's not exactly the same session as the one shown on the previous screenshots because I've trimmed it down a bit for only 3 Impact instances on the multi instrument, but the menu behaviour on the drum editor is exactly the same - no save option.

Thanks again!

Attachments
Impact XT Logic Electronic Kit copy.zip
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by OneFingerSnap on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by OneFingerSnap on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Lokeyfly wroteDid you store and save the Impact setup first? It sort of strikes me odd that you'd have banks as instances, when (and if) banks of a selected Impact setup, need only be saved itself, or at least first stored with Impact. So to clarify, you're trying to save a multi instrument, but you're using banks off of what? One or numerous Impact setups? I'd probably expect to see not banks shown where you have them in your screenshot, but those be actual Impact saved (and stored) setups. Then, you'd have virtually 6 Impact instances, each with their own A through F banks.

OneFingerSnap wrote: As I feared, I edited all the names yesterday and today after loading another Impact instance in the session the names got lost, as you can see on the left side of the screenshot. I'd really like to solve this issue... 

This sort of doesn't surprise me that you lost the names. I don't know that I'd be grouping banks when they should be (at least in my mind, stored patches (after all, every stored patch of Impact, has their own A thru F banks, so it seems a bit uneasy to track what it is you're doing.
Hope that's clear to you.

Btw, that's seems to be how the names got lost.

Question: is it possible the menu options are not in the drop down, because a multi instrument wasn't creates, but instead was off of one Impact instance?

Hi Lokeyfly, thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure I understand your questions, but let me try to be more specific.

So, my intention was to have a big drum kit with lots of choices, so I made a multi instrument from a few Impact instances. On the first instance (I called it Bank A) I selected samples for the first set of 16 pads (Bank A on Impact, notes C1 to D#2), on the second instance I selected samples for the second set of 16 pads (Bank B on Impact, notes E2 to G3) and so on.

Each of these Impact instances was saved separately as an Impact preset and the multi instrument consisting of the 6 Impact presets was also saved as a separate multi-instrument preset.

I hope that clears your question. I still don't quite get how this could cause the right-click menu on the Drum Editor not to have the save option.

If you have the time and patience, maybe you can download the session I've attached and try it on your system to see what happens.

Thanks again!

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:53 pm
OneFingerSnap wrote: I still don't quite get how this could cause the right-click menu on the Drum Editor not to have the save option.

I agree, I'd think it could be saved the way that you're trying. Thanks for explaining. Will load and try later as I'm away from working in Studio One. It will be tonight, unless Trucky or someone can check first.

It's an interesting alternative and if done correctly could have you swapping out whole drum kits for another triggering the same sounds, almost on the fly. Seems like loading a lot of instances, for what you might not need, but hey, I'm game to see other options.

I just do that differently, by saving 16 (or a lot more) by saving each kit on their own with "store". That way custom kits are virtually just a drag away from the browser. Different strokes. Thanks for explaining!

If we are able to take your file and save, that should reveal if something isn't functioning on anyone's end.

Talk later.
James

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Trucky on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm
I downloaded your sample song with the multi instruments and everything looked normal.
I'm able to store each of the multi instrument presets as shown here from the menu:

OneFingerSnap wrote: I still don't quite get how this could cause the right-click menu on the Drum Editor not to have the save option.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant with "can't save drum kit names as a preset".
Are you asking for saving the multi instrument drum kit preset or the pitchlist for the kit?

For pitchlists, I typically create them using a text editor or the method that Marcus shows in the video you watched. He was using a 3rd party instrument called Revolution Drums. The pitchlist menu shown in his video is what I generally see with 3rd party instruments. However, Impact directly updates the pitchlist real-time as you make changes in Impact or from the Drum Editor. Those changes then can be saved when you store it as an Impact preset. More than likely that's why there's no "Store Preset" menu option in the Drum Editor. So what you're seeing is normal.

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm
If either of you guys have the video where Marcus saves in the manner you're looking at, please add the link. May helo to answer or define some questions. Thanks!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Trucky on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:05 pm
Lokeyfly wroteIf either of you guys have the video where Marcus saves in the manner you're looking at, please add the link. May helo to answer or define some questions. Thanks!

From the screenshot he posted it's probably this one from Marcus:
phpBB [video]

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:59 pm
yeah, above the wrench, where you store the Preset, I could only save one instance at a time as a preset using the provided file.
File location defaults to: C:\Users\James\Documents\Studio One\Presets\PreSonus Multi Instrument

Just happened to be the blue one "Preset 3".
That is kind of what I expected.

I opened another song and imported the file there, but still had only the one instance.

I'll check the video to see what he's doing. Figured I'd try flying by the seat of my pants first.

OK, saw the video..........

yeah, so I think its a matter of a 3rd party instrument, such as with Marcus using Revolution, the mapping saves to a preset, but it wasn't all that clear how he mapped out the different pitches, then saved that pitch file.

So, I'm admittedly a bit lost in accomplishing this with Impact.

With 3rd party drums, I get a pre mapped list, and have just kept to that.

So, I get the intent of having multiple instances of Impact save as a Multi. I only get to save one instance though.

I'd still have to check but perhaps the Store Preset Menu doesnt come up in Impact, but would with a 3rd party instrument. That's how I'm proceeding anyway.
I'll use NI Kontakt with something like Studio Drummer next, to check differences.
Looks as though Trucky and myself see it as Revolution having the pitchlist contained, (which I refer to as Mapped) as do most 3rd party instruments. The Multi Instrument way of saving with Impact is Instance only. Not multiple levels of Impact.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm
OK, I'll throw this out as to saving as a multi. It worked, and perhaps it does or doesnt meet your needs.

1st, map the different pitches as you saw Marcus to your needs with the file you shared.

2nd Then, store "Mike Full Electronic Kit in the "Store Preset" (note icon above the wrench). . I don't know why you're not getting store preset though.

After doing this, I closed the song, and opened a new song. The Instrument could be opened both by opening the Impact Patch and select "Import Preset".

Or, select from the right Instrument Panel, where in Multi Instruments, the patch will be available.

I also tried renaming the patch, and saved with a 123 suffix. worked just fine, so I do not know why you cant store the preset.

I had every instance of the six Patch A through Patch F layers as the initial one in the other song, so it appears to be working just fine.

above the wrench is the notes icon, which has "Store Preset"
You should be seeing that.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 pm
The way Marcus is storing the 3rd party preset at 6:47 is not how you'll see it with Impact. That's what's confusing you . Simply store it above the wrench. In the final analysis, you'll have the 6 instances you need in Multiple instruments. Or should. ;)

Trucky wrote: However, Impact directly updates the pitchlist real-time as you make changes in Impact or from the Drum Editor. Those changes then can be saved when you store it as an Impact preset. More than likely that's why there's no "Store Preset" menu option in the Drum Editor. So what you're seeing is normal.

Yes. Additionally, Impact isn't held to saving in the song alone. It's Store Preset is merely in a different location. And as discovered saves as a multi, so I think both questions are solved. Me thinks.

concur?

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Trucky on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 am
Probably best for us to wait for @OneFingerSnap to respond to my previous question (see below) or yours. Based on the example song he shared and his follow-up response, I'm thinking now that he's not having issues saving his Impact Multi Instrument presets. His original screenshot shows the menu in the Drum Editor not having a "Store Preset" option. This is for storing changes made to a pitchlist (not a Multi Instrument preset).

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant with "can't save drum kit names as a preset".
Are you asking for saving the multi instrument drum kit preset or the pitchlist for the kit?

UPDATE:
I discussed this with Jeff Pettit and together we discovered that Impact directly updates the pitchlist real-time as you make changes in Impact or from the Drum Editor. Those changes then can be saved when you store it as an Impact preset. More than likely that's why there's no "Store Preset" menu option in the Drum Editor.

However, please note it doesn't work the same when Impact is part of a Multi Instrument. Only changes made directly in Impact (not from the Drum Editor) will be saved when it's stored as a Multi Instrument preset. Also confirming what I said earlier, I see that "Store Preset" option in the Drum Editor menu option with Presence and other 3rd party instruments but not when using Impact as an instrument.

by OneFingerSnap on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for the many answers I've got from you guys, really a friendly community on this forum!

Regarding your answers, first of all let me clarify that I don't have any problem saving either the Impact instrument presets or the Impact multi-instrument presets. I can save those just fine and it works.

My problem is only in saving the pitchlist names for the multi-instrument drum kit. From your answers I've gathered that the reason I don't have the save option as seen on Marcus's video its that it works differently on Impact from third party plugins. I got that and I feel kind of stupid that I didn't think about this.

Also, from Trucky's last reply I learned that changes in pad names on Impact's UI directly reflect on the drum editor's pitchlist names. So far so good...

But I think I've found what might be a bug. This is complex, so please, bear with me... I posted a bunch of screenshots so I can be as clear as possible.

So, first of all I decided to split that huge multi-instrument consisting of 6 Impact presets into two separate multi-instruments each containing 3 Impact presets (one multi for the most used kit pieces and another one for more "effecty" things):

Multi Instrument Main.png

Multi Instrument FX.png

For the following examples, we'll deal only with the second multi-instrument - the red, white and blue Impact multi-instrument.

As you can see, the pictchlist names on the left are not correct - there's gaps, etc, and I assure you I had edited all names correctly before.

So, if I rename a pad in Impact on the first (red) Impact instance of the multi instrument (BANK D) everything works correctly - as Trucky pointed out, the C5 pad "Electro Pluck" gets correctly renamed on the drum editor's picthlist to "Electro Pluck_A", as you can see from the following two screenshots:

Multi Instrument before renaming pad C5 %22Electro Pluck%22.png

Multi Instrument after renaming pad C5 to %22Electro Pluck_A%22.png

So, for the first Impact instance of the multi instrument everything works as expected but if you try it on any of the two remaining Impact instances (BANKS E and F, white and blue respectively) this doesn't work. If you edit any of the pad names on Impact, nothing happens on the drum editor pitchlist.

Even worse, not only Studio One doesn't change the edited pad pitch name, but also deletes a bunch of previously edited pitchlist names!

To demonstrate this, I renamed all the pitchlist names on the drum editor (because as mentioned before, I can't do it directly on the Impact instances because it doesn't work) using the wrench tool on the drum editor itself. As you can see this on the first of the two following screenshots, every pitchlist name on the drum editor has the same name as the pads on the Impact instances.

I then renamed pad C-2 on the blue (BANK F, upper left corner) instance of Impact from "Siren" to "Sirena" and the result can be seen on the second screenshot - not only the pitchlist for the edited C-2 note was deleted, but also a bunch of previously renamed pitchlist names got deleted!

Multi Instrument before renaming pad C-2 %22Siren%22.png

Multi Instrument after renaming pad C-2 to %22Sirena%22.png

I've attached the session so you guys can try for yourselves.

I tried editing all the pitchlist names correctly on the drum editor before attaching the session, so you guys could see the problem more clearly, but I realised Studio One doesn't correctly save the pitchname list for BANKS E and F ever, even if I save the session just after finishing the renames. When I reopened it, everything was wrong again.

So in order to see this, please try renaming two or three of BANK E or F pitchnames on the drum editor and then edit any other pad name on either BANK E or F Impact instance and you'll see that all the renames you did on the drum editor are gone!

Man, what a mess, I'm sorry for the huge confusing post, but it's a subtle bug and I tried to be as clear as possible. I'm curious about your results and if you agree that this should be considered a bug.

Thanks again for your time, help and patience!

Miguel Barrosa

Attachments
Forum Session.zip
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 125 times

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Cool communication. Sounds like we're all on the same page. I'm going to read along, as to see how both the 3 preset with effects goes, and the A thru F preset work out.
Miguel, no need to apologize, I got home from work, and dove into checking with Studio One without reading Trucky's post which had some similar points. So I apologize. ;)

I do use FXPansions BFD among other drum libraries so I'm used to the pitch mapped automatically with some of my own customization. Still, I've been finding more and more uses for Impact on some things. I'll be reading along to follow mapping details. Stay well, and Salute!
James

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Trucky on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 pm
OneFingerSnap wroteRegarding your answers, first of all let me clarify that I don't have any problem saving either the Impact instrument presets or the Impact multi-instrument presets. I can save those just fine and it works. My problem is only in saving the pitchlist names for the multi-instrument drum kit.

Great. That's what I thought after further review...

I've got another solution for you to consider...
Have you thought instead about using Impact's "Stack" mode feature for Layers instead of using the Multi Instrument splitter approach for creating big sounding drums?

Here's a great video tutorial from Marcus that explains how this works:
phpBB [video]

by OneFingerSnap on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:08 pm
Just an update. This was indeed a bug and was resolved with Studio One 5.4,

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by Trucky on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm
Great! Thanks for reporting back!

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2