15 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been asked to bring my recording gear on a trip next weekend, but my Studio One environment is not so portable. I'll already be taking my Yamaha MOXF8 and a couple of guitars. How can I record remotely and then merge everything into Studio One when I return home?
by patm300e on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:18 pm
First off we need to know what type of interface you plan on using remotely. Is there a digital mixer that can be used as an interface? You will need a recording interface that can give you the number of channels you want to record (if you want individual channels) or just a two channel interface that can record the mix in stereo. Once you give us this information, we can give you better advise. Oh it would also be helpful to know what type of computer you wish to record to.

Note that there are some mixers that can record directly to SD card or USB.

The one I use (Behringer XR18) is both an interface and a digital mixer. Just that and a laptop and I am set.
There are even ways to record using something like a raspberry PI,

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by brettgowder on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:50 pm
That reminds me. I have a AudioBox USB 96 I could use for this. Thanks.

Brett
Logan At Sea
https://www.facebook.com/loganatsea/

Studio One Pro 4.0 | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) | Microsoft Windows 11 | U-Phoria UMC 1820 | Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard | Alesis QS8.1 keyboard | Korg PS60 keyboard (using as MIDI controller) | EVH Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang Special Electric Guitar | Brian Moore ip8 electric guitar | Ibanez Artwood acoustic guitar | Ibanez GSR200FM | Taylor 214ce Koa Acoustic-Electric Guitar | Taylor BT2 Baby Taylor Acoustic Guitar | American Audio Media Operator BT Bluetooth Media Player
by patm300e on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pm
OK, so 2 inputs...This will probably limit you to the stereo mix from the mixer. What mixer do you plan to use? You can take an output from the mixer.

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by brettgowder on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:22 pm
We don't have a plan for a mixer (unless something's suggested). It'll just be that interface, microphone, guitar and keys.

Brett
Logan At Sea

Studio One Pro 4.0 | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) | Microsoft Windows 11 | U-Phoria UMC 1820 | Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard | Alesis QS8.1 keyboard | Korg PS60 keyboard (using as MIDI controller) | EVH Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang Special Electric Guitar | Brian Moore ip8 electric guitar | Ibanez Artwood acoustic guitar | Ibanez GSR200FM | Taylor 214ce Koa Acoustic-Electric Guitar | Taylor BT2 Baby Taylor Acoustic Guitar | American Audio Media Operator BT Bluetooth Media Player
by patm300e on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:27 pm
If you are using your Behringer XENYX1202FX, you can use the Control Room Outs to the input of the AudioBox USB 96.
I would suggest trying it out first. Put a signal through the mixer, set up your audiobox in Studio One. Cerate new Song, Add Audio Track (Stereo Track). Arm the tracks for recording and see if you are getting a good signal. Use the Control Room/Phones to adjust. Make sure you don't overdrive the audiobox inputs.

Once you get it to work in test. Set up at the gig the same way and verify the signal is not overdriving the inputs...You should be good to go.

by patm300e on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 pm
You said you have three inputs microphone, guitar and keys. Your interface only has two. You will need some sort of mixer...

by brettgowder on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:40 pm
No plans for a mixer. Just swapping out gear. Let me know if you have any suggestions for a mixer.

Brett
Logan At Sea

by patm300e on Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 am
Can't you use your Behringer XENYX1202FX?

by garybowling on Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:42 am
If you're just recording a stereo mix of what your playing, you'd be about as good to invest in a Zoom H1N recorder. These little things are really good and very useful, portable enough to put in your pocket! They record in 24bit wav and the sound is excellent.

They can also be used as an interface if you want to record directly to a DAW. But recording 24bit to a MicroSD card and uploading them into S1 is just as good and you don't have to take a laptop.

If you want an example of what one of these can do, check out this video. This is just a jam session with some local musicians. Audio was recorded with a Zoom H1N, brought into S1 and EQ'd a bit. Video was done with a gopro. FYI, that's me playing drums :)

https://youtu.be/9JlVZKRsTgg

Not "studio quality" by any means, but if you're just recording a stereo mix of a live jam, you're not going to get studio quality. This is "ok" quality for minimal equipment, setup, and fuss.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by brettgowder on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:11 am
That's good to know. I might snag one. Thanks. Sadly I missed Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day on this recently where they had it for $79.99.

Brett
Logan At Sea

by brettgowder on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:15 am
patm300e wroteCan't you use your Behringer XENYX1202FX?

Oh wow. I need to update my list of gear. I sold the XENYX. Thanks for the heads up about my signature.

Brett
Logan At Sea

by jasonpocorus on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:32 am
Backpack
Laptop
S1 Prime
Interface
Mics
XLRs
Monitoring headphones
Mic stands

I've done it. It's not easy but it's not hard either. Just have to know what you're doing. Which, I don't

I type in monotone.
Usage of caps, bold, italic, or underline intended as emphasis and not yelling.
Yelling comes with angry emoji

Always joking around and busting everybody's chops. It's not intended to be insulting

OnStage AS800 FET Condenser Mic, SM57, AudioBox iTWO, Shure SRH440 monitoring headphones,
CAD monitoring headphones, pair of 5" JBL LSR2325P, Studio One 5 Artist, Windows 10 64 bit HP Envy x360 convertible

***PLEASE speak slowly and dumb it way down. Total n00b here. No clue what I am doing, computer illiterate, and A.D.D..

Rock on, good people! :punk:
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am
brettgowder wroteNo plans for a mixer. Just swapping out gear. Let me know if you have any suggestions for a mixer.

If you're not tracking three or more at a time (with exception), you don't need a mixer. We dont know your tracking scenario but given the short time constraints you will need to monitor with several headphones (unless you had some monitoring in place off of the audio interface), so I'll just throw out depending on the number of tracking, you'll need at least a headphone mixer of 2, or preferably 4 outs (one stereo in would be exceptable). Another headphone would come out of the audio interface if the mixer only has 2. My Rane HC-6 is a six way headphone mixer and has individual levels, balanced, and I wouldn't leave home without it.

If we knew your tracking list arrangement, we could better advise. A small Beringer, Mackie, Yamaha, or Presonus, Tascam mixer with two headphone Jack's would do you well, and kill two birds between recording, and monitoring.

OK, take Jasonpocorus' tip very seriously. You'll really want two to three minimum Mic stands (boom preferred), some working no nonsense mic cables (balanced XLR, or TRS 1/4" phone plugs), extra guitar cables, some gaff tape, at least two condenser mic's (large diaphragm), two dynamic mics, guitar picks, drum sticks (don't ask why), and well, you get the picture. If you're on site searching your pockets for guitar picks, it will not fair well. ;)

Have a place where your computer has little traffic, and dangling chords. (Add tie wraps) A "whoops" is not part of the plan, so minimize it.
I know you know this, but even if you go with a little less, you'll get creative in the process.
Again, run through what you envision the sessions will be. If it's 3 or more playing together, you HAVE to accomodate all 3 with recoding and monitoring. That usually screams either a mixer or 4 channel audio interface with acceptable headphone outs (or monitoring). If you can do the sessions with 2 inputs to your audio interface, think about a headphone mixer so you can collectively listen with others.

Bottom line: Have an awsome time!

P.s Bringing extra guitar strings? (Get that list going).

Nice home build on the Asus z490. Remember though, even as it's a little late, taking a desktop on site, you greatly increase cards, ribbon connections, etc coming loose. If you're going to be doing more mobile sessions, consider a good functional laptop. Could prove huge in reliability. Just sayin'
Cheers

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by patm300e on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:40 am
If you decide to go with the portable recorder, the key to a good recording (as in real estate) is location, location, location.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1