14 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been using Studio One for a couple of years now, and all of the sudden I'm having an issue with my Auto Punch Monitoring. My guess is that I changed a setting somewhere, but I have no Idea where to find it to change it back.

When setting up the Auto Punch, I arm the the track, I also have monitoring set up to automatically enable when I hit record. In the past, I was able to hear the previously recorded audio prior to the track starting to record, but now, once I arm the track, the track will no longer play the previously recorded audio that is outside of the selection area. This really makes it difficult to know the correct place to start recording.

Please help me get this set back up the way it's supposed to be!!

Thanks in advance

S1 5.5 PRO
Dell XPS 8950 - Intel i9 - 64GDDR5
Focusrite 18i20 (3rd Gen)
Audient ASP880
by Tacman7 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:43 am
This is pretty quick and to the point.

I think it covers what you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUem3U8_LE

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by sethstephan1 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:29 pm
@Tacman7

I was hopeful that this would get it, but alas, it did not. No change to the issue.

Any other ideas?

Sef

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by Tacman7 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:05 pm
When you click the wrench above the arranger section there's a lot of options.

So do you have
Monitoring mutes playback (tape style)
Enabled?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by sethstephan1 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:44 pm
Tacman7 wroteWhen you click the wrench above the arranger section there's a lot of options.

So do you have
Monitoring mutes playback (tape style)
Enabled?

I tried it both Enabled and Disabled. It didn't change the fact the the track was completely muted when armed even when not recording.

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by Jemusic on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 pm
I have just done some tests and it is all working correctly for me. You do need Tape style monitoring to be engaged though for sure.

Here is the sequence of operations I use.

1 I record a 8 bar sequence
2 I want replace the audio from bar 4 to bar 6
3 I set the loop above from bar 4 to bar 6 but I disengage it (so it wont loop)
4 I engage Autp Punch down below
5 I park the cursor at bar 3 to give me a run up
6 I arm the track with the record button
7 I now press record (I use the * button on the QWERTY keyboard)
8 I hear the music playing back from bar 3 to bar 4 then at bar 4 it drops into record and I play new material, I stop at bar 6. At bar 6 it comes out of auto punch record automatically and I hear the original material again.
9 I now have a new section recorded from bar 4 to bar 6

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by sethstephan1 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:10 pm
Jemusic wroteI have just done some tests and it is all working correctly for me. You do need Tape style monitoring to be engaged though for sure.

Here is the sequence of operations I use.

1 I record a 8 bar sequence
2 I want replace the audio from bar 4 to bar 6
3 I set the loop above from bar 4 to bar 6 but I disengage it (so it wont loop)
4 I engage Autp Punch down below
5 I park the cursor at bar 3 to give me a run up
6 I arm the track with the record button
7 I now press record (I use the * button on the QWERTY keyboard)
8 I hear the music playing back from bar 3 to bar 4 then at bar 4 it drops into record and I play new material, I stop at bar 6. At bar 6 it comes out of auto punch record automatically and I hear the original material again.
9 I now have a new section recorded from bar 4 to bar 6

That is exactly how I expect my DAW to work, and it used to... I don't know when/why it stopped.

I'll try do do a screenshot video going through your exact steps tonight so maybe you'll be able to see something I'm missing.

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by robertgray3 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:39 am
You wouldn’t happen to have Green Z monitoring enabled would you?

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by sethstephan1 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:47 pm
robertgray3 wroteYou wouldn’t happen to have Green Z monitoring enabled would you?

As a matter of fact, I do... Would that do it?

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by Jemusic on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:25 pm
I checked again with LLM engaged and it still works the same. Correctly for me.

Note: you must not have input monitoring engaged when you back up a bar and go into auto punch. You wont hear playback.

There is one thing though. With LLM engaged, the punch out point does not seem to work the same as it does with LLM not engaged. With LLM in, I noticed it goes on forever until you stop the recording. Without LLM engaged, the punch out point is the end point of the loop set above. Even with the loop turned off. (bug maybe?)

I suggest leave LLM off and also don't have any heavy plugins inserted either while recording.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by sethstephan1 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:35 am
Yeah, so just like @Jemusic said, disabling the LLM made no difference. I was able to make a quick video, so if any of you fine folks want to give it a watch and see if I'm missing something, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-nWZVG ... p=drivesdk

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:35 pm
Thanks for the video. It picked up the mistake immediately.

Its simple. Uncheck Monitoring Follows Record. With Monitoring follows record, you wont hear any playback only the incoming signal. So switch it off. Leave Tape style monitoring checked.

Arm the track into record only. Now when you park your cursor at the start or any part prior to the punch in point. Hit the main record button (*) You will hear the pre recorded material until you punch in and then you will hear your input signal. And after the punch out you should also hear any material after the punch out point as well. With Auto punch engaged even though you go into record, Studio One wont go into record until the punch in point.

If you look at point 6 in my list of operations it says I arm the track with the record button. (Only I meant) I should also have said not to engage input monitoring.

The reason you don't need Monitoring Follows Record is when the auto punch takes place, the auto punch does that itself for the punch duration. Otherwise you need it off to hear the track.

I tend to leave Monitoring follows Record off most of the time. I only use when I want to be able to do lots of overdubs and things on multiple tracks quickly. Such as select a track quick have it go into record and monitor so I can hear it and then play stuff in quickly.

Basically if you have input monitoring selected, you will never hear whats on the track. You will hear the input signal instead. (while in Monitoring Mutes Playback eg tape style)

by sethstephan1 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 am
Jemusic wroteThanks for the video. It picked up the mistake immediately.

Its simple. Uncheck Monitoring Follows Record. With Monitoring follows record, you wont hear any playback only the incoming signal. So switch it off. Leave Tape style monitoring checked.

Oh man! Thank you @Jemusic!! That was it all along. It's now working like a champ again.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in to help me out. You guys are rad

Sef

S1 5.5 PRO
Audient ASP880
by bendswede on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm
I'm not having any luck getting Auto Punch to work. Using latest version of Studio One, in a Mac. Looked at videos, set the loop, ets (not enabled). It's not starting to record when I reach the loop/section I want to record/punch into.

14 posts
Page 1 of 1