55 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
So... the Sphere membership is $165/yr. for me to upgrade as I do and or Not Sphere myself its $149.95. $15 diff roughly. AND I don't OWN anything. This is so Steven Slate.

So for $15 more here year Presonus throws in:

Hide Features
Notion
All PreSonus Plug-Ins
All PreSonus Studio One Add-Ons
All Notion Add-Ons

Exclusive Studio One Integrations
Collaboration Workspaces
Expert Chat
Exclusive Masterclasses
Exclusive Live Streams
Exclusive Artist Exchange Content
30GB Upgradable Cloud Storage

I ask this? Outside of Sphere which gives you everything, how is Presonus rewarding the FAITHFUL users who pay for EVERY upgrade since S1? A huge shafting IMO. Not even an extra plugin?
Presonus gives me the option to buy ALL of those they dump in if you sign it away

Y'all can keep your exclusive club, that will NEVER happen here :thumbdown:

When Sphere becomes the ONLY option it will be exit time here.

Id like to TURN OFF the News Feed since its nothing but the EXCLUSIVE CLUB stuff anyway

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:34 pm
I'd rather pay 15 bucks a month and always get the updates.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Bye......:roll:
by tremo on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:25 am
shanabit wroteWhen Sphere becomes the ONLY option it will be exit time here.

Same here. If that heppens, although I prefer working in Studio One, I'll have to go back to Logic.

Studio One 6.5.1 | Live 11 | Logic 10.8
Mac Studio Max | 14.2 | 32GB
MOTU 828es | Presonus Studio 1824c | MOTU M4 | UAD Quad Satellite
by shanabit on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 am
reggie1979beatz wroteI'd rather pay 15 bucks a month and always get the updates.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

What happens when you quit paying??

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by frank.crow on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 am
When S5 came out I was super excited and purchased the sphere membership to get the upgrade now (instead of patiently waiting for payday to just get the upgrade).

I convinced myself that all of the extra content made it worth it.

If someone is coming in to this with a limited 3rd party library then getting all of those plugins is a great foundation. I however have an extensive 3rd party library so these plugins sit unused.

They are really great about adding loops, tons really but I don’t use loops so another set of items that sit unused in my inventory.

Now I am a really big fan of Gregor and Joe but although there have been some gems out there from time to time. In truth I got more value out of Joe’s previous YouTube content.

So in truth I’m hoping that eventually I’ll get some use out of the workspaces aspect. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t feel stupid for simply not waiting for payday to by the S5 upgrade instead.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by IanM5 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:27 am
frank.crow wroteWhen S5 came out I was super excited and purchased the sphere membership to get the upgrade now (instead of patiently waiting for payday to just get the upgrade).

I convinced myself that all of the extra content made it worth it.

If someone is coming in to this with a limited 3rd party library then getting all of those plugins is a great foundation. I however have an extensive 3rd party library so these plugins sit unused.

They are really great about adding loops, tons really but I don’t use loops so another set of items that sit unused in my inventory.

Now I am a really big fan of Gregor and Joe but although there have been some gems out there from time to time. In truth I got more value out of Joe’s previous YouTube content.

So in truth I’m hoping that eventually I’ll get some use out of the workspaces aspect. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t feel stupid for simply not waiting for payday to by the S5 upgrade instead.

You've just described perfectly why subscriptions benefit the vendor more than the customers!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by frank.crow on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 am
I must in all fairness mention that the Slate Subscribtion actually made sense mathematically (I would periodically crunch those numbers) but I eventually just outgrew it and ended that relationship.

The Plugin Alliance subscription is freakin amazing though. I have never regretted that one for a second.

Amazing Plugins and once a year they give me a voucher for the full amount that I paid them in subscription fees for the year to use to purchase any plugin no restrictions.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by garyshepherd on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 am
shanabit wroteId like to TURN OFF the News Feed since its nothing but the EXCLUSIVE CLUB stuff anyway

This has been the point I have made here and at the online meetups - Presonus are forgetting the license owners or treating us as second class members - this is what "exclusive content" does. There is no need for the "exclusive content" as Sphere subscribers already get everything else.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by graytermedia on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:05 am
As someone who has an on-again-off-again relationship with subscriptions, it falls under, "Whatever works for ya'...".

I sub to Pro Tools because I have to. It's my main source of revenue, so it is what it is. I am, like a lot of people, contemplating dropping the $80 a month Ultimate sub and going back to Pro Tools "vanilla". I'm not doing many surround Post mixes lately, but I'd miss the extended automation features which I use on every show/documentary/short film mix. I have to make the decision in a few weeks. If it's really worth it to me, I'll re-up. In the end, the sub pays for itself in the long run.

As for all of the others - Slate, Plugin Alliance, Splice, Output, Groove 3, etc - I've dropped them all recently. I did a spreadsheet of all my subscriptions (including streaming services like Disney+, Netflix and Hulu) and was shocked at what leaves my bank account every month. $13.99 doesn't seem like a lot, until you have 8 or 9 of those at once.

The jury is still out on Sphere. I mostly write R&B, which a number of the libraries cater to, so as of now, I don't mind the $15 a month. The video content is decent as well.

Again, it's whatever works for you. If you find value in it, do it. If not, then don't. It's really that simple. I don't see the need to rant about it though. Let Presonus know directly. Venting here seems to be a waste of time and belittles those who do find value in Sphere. If you don't like subs, good for you. Get on with it and keep it moving.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am
Ok, it's true. I've spent way too much on subscriptions (including netflix) For some reason, I just don't care.

I used to use Slate plugs all the time. Now, it's rare (except ANA ) I should ditch that. I'm on annual (for far less money) for Groove 3 and honestly, I don't use it much these days. So next year I'll pass.

Yeah, I'm not doing myself any favors :lol:

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 am
Actually, the one I've really few for for a long time is the Waves scam :lol: Man, considering how many I have and the janky "upgrades" and wup and all that. And I feel for it again with "epic" because it was like 27 bucks. But I never use it! :(

Seems like a sub to me.

by jBranam on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:52 am
the only way i feel subs are worth it is if you use while you need it and shut it off when you don't. like Pro Tools and EastWest Composer Cloud etc. buy the month, use it for what is needed then shut it off.

there is no way i would pay any annual subscription. so what if they break it down into monthly payments... you will pay the full sum one way or the other per the contract and breaching contracts usually carry a stiff monetary penalty. that is the reason i am on 'prepay' on my cellular and i buy my phones. if you think you are getting anything 'free' you are sadly mistaken. we all live and learn. but then again some people have enough money to throw it away so if anyone has it to throw away... throw some this way lol

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by shanabit on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:00 pm
graytermedia wrote I don't see the need to rant about it though. Let Presonus know directly. Venting here seems to be a waste of time and belittles those who do find value in Sphere. If you don't like subs, good for you. Get on with it and keep it moving.

tg

You must think Presonus cares? You must be altruistic there.

If you don't like my venting here see yourself to the door, simple as that. Keep it moving as you say :+1

No one is trashing on any Sphere members. Your interpolation is conflated there. :roll:
Last edited by shanabit on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:12 pm
I'm not getting involved in that personally, but just an observation: Every sub thread seems to end up in much hyperbole and debate.

by roland1 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:27 pm
The only use I see for subscriptions is when you join a place like Groove 3 to watch some tutorials for a month or two, or maybe Netflix to watch some movies. But if you're a professional making music and you need to rely on your gear and your mastery of it, you don't rent — unless you're using some specialized audio mastering site or something. But day to day work? Pfff.

If I was a carpenter, I wouldn't subscribe to renting a hammer, either — just to get new handles.
"Oh, my subscription ran out. No hammering today, I guess." :p

But yeah, shareholders like to know how many fish are gonna be in the barrel. That's all that's behind the idea of forcing people into a long-term commitment where they fear losing their years long monthly investment in that software if they quit. Imagine that feeling: "OH MY GOD! I can't leave now...I've spend all that money." [And when you turn off your computer, S1 is gone.]

Gamblers have the same problem walking away from a table. No one wants to leave their money with the house. Subs work that way on you, too, psychologically. Afraid to walk away with nothing.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by jBranam on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm
not knocking sphere... i just dislike ALL subscriptions... ever since i had to fulfill my agreement after getting twelve albums for a penny lol

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm
Again, I completely don't view it that way at all. I'd rather shell out 15 bucks a month knowing that I'll always have the version I want then spend for the "upgrade" the next cycle. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I am absolutely un concerned about losing the ability to be cut off.

And for the record I ain't no "produca" but I need a DAW to do what I do.

by roland1 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 pm
My concern is that they're taking their eyes off the ball with this "one size fits all" throw in the kitchen sink approach when all we really need is a great DAW that works the way the release notes claim. They don't have to be everything to everyone to try to corner the market for young people who think they want to make music, or not.

But what do I know. I'm old and smell like moth balls. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by leosutherland on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:25 am
roland1 wroteMy concern is that they're taking their eyes off the ball with this "one size fits all" throw in the kitchen sink approach when all we really need is a great DAW that works the way the release notes claim. They don't have to be everything to everyone to try to corner the market for young people who think they want to make music, or not.

But what do I know. I'm old and smell like moth balls. :D

And wear a cardigan? :D

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:47 am
shanabit (OP) wrote: I ask this? Outside of Sphere which gives you everything, how is Presonus rewarding the FAITHFUL users who pay for EVERY upgrade since S1? A huge shafting IMO. Not even an extra plugin.

They simply reward you by continuous improvement of the program itself. Sometimes it's easy to not see change as it's moving along with you. Jmo but having all versions on my computer (for reference), the improvements have been largely impressive. Particularly the latest. Not to mention the in between uhem, FREE updates with the occasional supplied goodies. Where have you been?

Rather than look for free plugins which is somewhat superficial, look at how each upgrade brought some new areas to enhance composition and production. Those enhancements continue and users are charged a modest upgrade price. That's relevant, and keeps faithful users right where they need to be. Prescription or not.

shanabit wrote: "When Sphere becomes the ONLY option it will be exit time here.

Look, if Studio One turned subscription only, there are plenty of users including myself that would move on elsewhere, but that's not happening, now is it. That's simply your fear statement. Convince me a few '"here you go, because your so loyal" freebiee plugins are going to take you're music or production over the top, and I'd be quite surprised. The "not even a free plugin?" remark is just an obvious indicator of your intent here. I can only suggest, that you worry more about what's on your plate, than cry about the service. There's always the door, but I'd hope you seek the attributes rather than the "huge shafting" comment. Your words, not mine. Dude, What shafting? You want to talk shafting, talk to some Sonar users. These good people were sent a Dear John letter. Fortunately, they found a new DAW in Studio One, or other DAW of their choice. They're loyal, good contributors, and follow their own endeavors.That was a good DAW yanked out under their feet. Please curtail the not even a free plugin, or shafted speak.

shanabit wrote: "Id like to TURN OFF the News Feed since its nothing but the EXCLUSIVE CLUB stuff anyway."

Again, a simple non truth. (Is it me or is this mindset becoming the norm, today?). :roll:
Turn it off if it bothers you. Point is, it's not true. You made it up, and it needed to be pointed out.

If a subscription works for others, that's fine. For some looking to have all they can have or are trialing things because they might opt out after a few months/years, great! They might even buy what they breifly got a chance to try! That is a good thing. On the contrary, what's frankly a bit juvenile is not having a subscription and saying "where's my ba-ba  (baby bottle).

But here, let me be the first to give you something free. I don't work for  or am affiliated with Presonus, but hey, us users have to look out for one another. Cheers. Just remember to speak into the microphone than start a rant thread like this. 

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

55 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3