13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

(See my signature below for my computer specs - except updated S1 to v5.2.1.64495)

I have a song where I have loaded several instances of Presence and am using the PreSonus orchestra samples. (They sound great!) But the other day I was adding horns, and all of a sudden after adding a trombone track, S1, started acting weird. When I chose "Save" from the menu or hit Command-S, it would act like it was saving, but it wasn't really. When I try to close a song, it acts it's closing the song initially, but it doesn't. I end up having to Force Quit every time.

Now whenever I load that song, it has this problem. I don't have this issue with other songs... just this one. I can go through and start disabling tracks/plugins one at a time, but I'm really only using mostly stock stuff.

Anyone else having odd issues like this!

Thanks!

steve

Steve

StudioOne Pro 5.3.0.65413
iMac (Retina 4k, 21.5-inch, 2019)
Processor: 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
macOS: Big Sur v 11.2.1
by Tacman7 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:54 pm
It doesn't sound that odd, depending on what you're sending the plugins.

I would solo each instance and see what your voice count and processing are taking.

It adds up quick but I don't know exactly how many channels on each instance you're using etc.

If I get playing with a arpeggiator and a soft synth it will crash after a while. Arps can just get the voice count too high.

The amount of processing you're asking of the machine can also include interface settings that can add to the load.

What latency do you run?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by robertgray3 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm
Have you checked how much RAM you're using? I can't help but notice your specs say 8GB and the behavior you're describing could be caused by running out of memory.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by garyshepherd on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 am
Bounce some of the tracks to audio, or Transform to Audio. Make a note of the Presence patch you are using for each track in the track Notes. Then if necessary remove the Presence instruments and work on with the audio as reference - you can always go back to the Midi track if you want to change something to fit the arrangement. This way you can free up some CPU. Its what I do at times.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by stevecharles4 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 am
Hi all,

thank you for the reply. My apologies for the delayed response. I needed some time to get into the studio to work on this song and gather the data. Below are the stats I observed, but in the process of doing this I tried something that may have me heading in the right direction to fix this issue. (observation notes after stats below)

Memory Use (of 8G RAM):
Before starting S1: 2.66 GB
After starting S1: 4.86 GB
After opening song file: 6.40 GB

That still leaves about 1.5 GB. (I do have plans to max out the memory on this iMac when i have some down time...)

Latency Stats:
Dropout Protection: Minimum
Device Block Size: 256 Samples
Processing Precision: Single (32 Bit)
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Input Latency: 9.12 ms/402 samples
Output Latency: 13.2 ms/580 samples

Monitoring Latency:
Audio Roundtrip: 89 mx/3944 samples
Instrument: 32 ms/1416 samples

Observation notes:
I went to every channel and turned off all plugins. After doing that, I was able to save the file. This is the first time I've been able to do this. Plugins include:
Stock: Compressor, ProEQ, Multiband Dynamics, Open AIR, Room Reverb
3rd Party: Polyverse "Wider", Mastering the Mix "BASSROOM", Ozone "Elements", iZotope "Ozone 9".

On the main bus, I have Multiband Dynamics, BASSROOM, and Ozone "Elements". I can click on Multiband Dynamics and the plugin screen opens fine. But if I try to click on either BASSROOM or Ozone, S1 crashes catastrophically. I removed them both.

After removing them, I tried turning the other stock plugins all back on... after doing that... same thing... can't save and won't close... this is going to take some more triaging..

Stay tuned...

Thanks!

Steve

Steve

by stevecharles4 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 am
UPDATE:

Even after removing two plugins I seemed to be having problems with, I was still experiencing the same behavior. All of a sudden S1 would not save, close... had to force quit.

I created a copy of the song file and opened the copy. I remove the last two tracks I added which were Presence Trombones and Trombones (removed in that order - going backwards from how I added them). Now everything appears to be working right again.

I was able to re-enable all plugins, play the full song, and then save it.

I'm going to try removing them one at a time from the original and see if one or the other causes an issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

by stevecharles4 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:22 am
UPDATE:

Tested several things on the original file and the ONLY thing that seems to fix the issue is to remove the Trumpet track. Re-thinking what I had been working on, that seems to make sense. I had just added the trumpet track and had played the part - saving my work.

I then added the Trombones and recorded the part, but when I went to save it - it looked like it saved, but it didn't. From the point I added the Trumpet part i was unable to save.

After removing the part from the copied file, my memory went from 6.4GB to 6.2GB, so I don't really think that little more in memory usage would be what was caused the issue.

i'm leaning toward there was either something corrupted in my midi track for the trumpets, or the trumpet sample itself is corrupt. I was using the "PSO Classic Orchestra/PSO Classic Brass/Trumpet Section."

When i have some more time, I'll try and re-record the trumpets using another sample and see if it still happens. I may even try re-recording the trumpet line using the same sample, but creating a new track.

Steve

Steve

by robertgray3 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:08 pm
stevecharles4 wroteUPDATE:

Tested several things on the original file and the ONLY thing that seems to fix the issue is to remove the Trumpet track. Re-thinking what I had been working on, that seems to make sense. I had just added the trumpet track and had played the part - saving my work.

I then added the Trombones and recorded the part, but when I went to save it - it looked like it saved, but it didn't. From the point I added the Trumpet part i was unable to save.

After removing the part from the copied file, my memory went from 6.4GB to 6.2GB, so I don't really think that little more in memory usage would be what was caused the issue.

i'm leaning toward there was either something corrupted in my midi track for the trumpets, or the trumpet sample itself is corrupt. I was using the "PSO Classic Orchestra/PSO Classic Brass/Trumpet Section."

When i have some more time, I'll try and re-record the trumpets using another sample and see if it still happens. I may even try re-recording the trumpet line using the same sample, but creating a new track.

Steve

Also try using that patch in a new empty song and see if you can save it.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by stevecharles4 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:16 pm
Tried doing that. It won't let me do anything with that track. As soon as I touch it and try to copy, S1 won't let me save and again have to force quit. The copy of the song file where I removed that track and instrument completely, seems to be working fine now.
I'm going to try re-recording the trumpet part on that track in the song file that's working and see what happens.

Steve

by robertgray3 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:47 pm
stevecharles4 wroteTried doing that. It won't let me do anything with that track. As soon as I touch it and try to copy, S1 won't let me save and again have to force quit. The copy of the song file where I removed that track and instrument completely, seems to be working fine now.
I'm going to try re-recording the trumpet part on that track in the song file that's working and see what happens.

Out of curiosity, I loaded an instance of Presence with the PSO Trumpet Section patch you described (in a new empty song) and it saved and loaded properly. This was in a new empty song, on my Intel MacBook Pro with Big Sur.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:05 am
stevecharles4 wroteUPDATE:

Steve

PSO orchestra is pretty light on COU load and shouldn't be any issue, only you never mentioned just how many instances of Presence XT you originally had open. Still, if you run up against any such issues with the trumpet patch, or any for that matter, it's pretty common practice to render tracks to audio. You'll get far more mileage and dependability. Particularly with such things like orchestration, or EDM where a lot of texturing and modulation take place.

I usually hang on to instruments and avoid not rendering myself so that I have more chances to change things later. Up until a conflict arises which isn't often. Sometimes though, render where you can. You'll find there's many advantages and stability with automation as well. Particularly at final mix stages.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:19 am
Have you replaced the soundset where the problem voice is stored?

Maybe it's corrupted?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by stevecharles4 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 am
I will add that to the list of options. I'm going to attempt to render some of the other tracks in the file to reduce some of the processing overhead. If that doesn't work, I'll try and re-record the part in the copy I made that is now working (after deleting the trumpet track.)

If neither of those options work, I'll try re-downloading the trumpet section sound file(s).

I'm also going to max out the memory on my computer once i have a free moment to take it in. Unfortunately i have one of the 2019 iMacs that has to have the screen removed to upgrade the memory.

Thank you all for your input.

Steve

Steve

13 posts
Page 1 of 1