4 posts
Page 1 of 1
So tonight I sat down to mix my next project. I started tracking the project on Studio One 5 in January and let the band have a rack full of pres, mics, a quantum and a computer to finish odds and ends.

They delivered the finished session last night and I transferred all the files to an external SSD this morning. I still had their master drive.

Tonight I sit down and fully edit one song. This process included removing all their plugin additions and turning off the listen bus.

I go to the next song and open it. I remove the plugins (maybe fifteen in total on a 30 track session) and try to remove the listen bus. There’s a weird soft crunch sound that comes from the speakers and I figure it is the bus disengaging the outputs? I flip to edit window and hit play. Though the screen shows I am at the beginning of the song, it is clearly playing all of the tracks at seemingly random starting points and at different pitches. I hit space bar and notice that the disk read monitor has the red max light but I see nothing on the visual graph itself.

I hit space bar again and the same thing happens, only this time the sound is even more jumbled. I hit stop and S1 immediately closes the session and jumps to the start screen. The Recent File name of the song is there but the date opened area is blank indicating the file is gone.

I open the session folder and the session file is…missing. I open a backup and I get a strange warning that says “STUDIO ONE CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE” five times. I go back and the backup i clicked is gone. I drag the session file from the original drive and it does the same cannot open dialogue.

I check the info in the transferred folder vs the master drive and they are the exact same. I delete the entire folder and transfer from the master back to my SSD. The session works fine.

Do I have a soon to be inoperable SSD or did S1 just REALLY screw something up? I do not know how S1 could delete session files from a folder, but you never know.
Last edited by ianaeillo on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by ianaeillo on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:31 am
Lol yup it’s hard drive failure.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by Vocalpoint on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:55 am
ianaeillo wroteLol yup it’s hard drive failure.

Wow - do not hear about SSD failures very often. What brand of SSD was it?

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by ianaeillo on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am
Vocalpoint wrote
ianaeillo wroteLol yup it’s hard drive failure.

Wow - do not hear about SSD failures very often. What brand of SSD was it?

VP

Western Digital. It appears as though there was just a glitch of some type? I dunno. I was unable to transfer anything to or from the band's session folder after that point. I reformatted the drive and it's relegated to backup or emergency status only now. It says it formatted okay and no bad sectors were found. Not sure what it was, to be honest.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1