6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi I am needing some help resolving an issue that's causing my pc to freeze when using studio one.
It is definitely related to an external GPU which I have just added via thunderbolt to my system. The problem only occurs in SO and I cannot figure out why. There appears to be some conflict between SO and the NVIDA driver for the GPU as I am able to run SO without issue using the onboard display adapter bypassing the eGPU. Has anybody else had a similar experience when adding hardware to their system or any suggestions that might help me resolve this other than having to switch between display adapters and video outputs depending on the application being used? software and drivers on the PC are up to date. Many thanks in advance.

10th gen i3-​1005G1 12GB RAM win 10 64 bit OS Razer core X/GeForce RTX 2060
Last edited by stephenconnochie on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio 5 pro
windows 10
corebox pro intel i3 1005G 1.20 Ghz
12GB RAM 64 bit operating system
audiobox iTwo interface
by PreAl on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:16 am
You've installed the latest drivers and firmware for your graphic card and audio interface?
You are up to to date via windows update?
Also in device manager/sounds try disabling the nvidia hdmi sound devices (you have to do this every time you update the driver).
You could also try clearing studio one cache (Google for details).
You don't have anything installed like ASIO4ALL?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by stephenconnochie on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 am
Thanks for you reply, yes all drivers firmware and windows are up to date. I have not tried disabling the HDMI audio drivers so I will give that a try this evening. I have a feeling there is more to this than a driver issue. You don't expect these issues nowadays, feels like I've stepped back in time 25 years what a nightmare :x I've contacted Razer to see what they have to say. I don't require the additional GPU for SO but its a major annoyance having to configure my system each time I change task. But thanks again for your suggestion.
Steve

Studio 5 pro
windows 10
audiobox iTwo interface
by PreAl on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am
stephenconnochie wroteThanks for you reply, yes all drivers firmware and windows are up to date. I have not tried disabling the HDMI audio drivers so I will give that a try this evening. I have a feeling there is more to this than a driver issue. You don't expect these issues nowadays, feels like I've stepped back in time 25 years what a nightmare :x I've contacted Razer to see what they have to say. I don't require the additional GPU for SO but its a major annoyance having to configure my system each time I change task. But thanks again for your suggestion.
Steve

As you probably know a total freeze issue is hardware or driver issue (hence I immediately look at drivers and firmware). Another thing to do maybe is to update your motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers.

My first hunch would be audio interface as Studio One would be opening up a buffer to it via the driver. If it has only just happened with your new graphics card I would suspect some conflcit going on with that audio interface (likely to be your graphics card). On rare occasions it could be your antivirus misbehaving, it may be scanning your USB etc.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by stephenconnochie on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 am
I appreciate your time trying to help me resolve this, I think I have exhausted every avenue I'm competent enough to attempt with no success. Disabling the graphics audio driver didn't resolve the issue. I'm seeing similar posts elsewhere regarding eGPU's locking up systems when operating at low loads. Some people have managed to resolve it by tweaking power settings or upgrading PSU's but it seems each situation is unique. For the time being it looks like I'm going to have to put up with altering my settings between tasks. I normally use a 4K TV as my monitor but it was scheduled a repair the day after the graphics card arrived so I'm currently working on an old std def monitor, I don't recall if the freezing occurring before switching the monitor, maybe the demands of the higher resolution will be enough to get the GPU into a more stable operating condition. I'll need to wait for the repair work to be done before testing that theory :lol: Again thanks for your help.

Steve

Studio 5 pro
windows 10
audiobox iTwo interface
by PreAl on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 am
stephenconnochie wroteI appreciate your time trying to help me resolve this, I think I have exhausted every avenue I'm competent enough to attempt with no success. Disabling the graphics audio driver didn't resolve the issue. I'm seeing similar posts elsewhere regarding eGPU's locking up systems when operating at low loads. Some people have managed to resolve it by tweaking power settings or upgrading PSU's but it seems each situation is unique. For the time being it looks like I'm going to have to put up with altering my settings between tasks. I normally use a 4K TV as my monitor but it was scheduled a repair the day after the graphics card arrived so I'm currently working on an old std def monitor, I don't recall if the freezing occurring before switching the monitor, maybe the demands of the higher resolution will be enough to get the GPU into a more stable operating condition. I'll need to wait for the repair work to be done before testing that theory :lol: Again thanks for your help.

Steve

Ah didn't think of that! - having a good/powerful enough PSU is very important. That GPU will up the watts somewhat. Also turning off power saving settings (Inc in device manager) a good idea!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1