9 posts
Page 1 of 1
how many of you would love to be able to automate in the projects page? The fact that we cant do this is absurd at this point. Can we pull together on this and try to get presonus to make it so?
Not being able to automate a limiter or volume is the only thing stopping me from using the projects page.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by gregghart on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 am
Personally, no. The way I see it, the projects page is designed to work with the song page. I do all my automation on the song page and use the Projects page strictly for mastering and creating my digital and DDP releases.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by robertgray3 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:11 pm
johnboyd4 wrotehow many of you would love to be able to automate in the projects page? The fact that we cant do this is absurd at this point. Can we pull together on this and try to get presonus to make it so?
Not being able to automate a limiter or volume is the only thing stopping me from using the projects page.

There are hundreds of people who agree already. Hopefully that carries more weight than the occasional user who may not understand the practical utility of this in others’ daily work. Mastering engineers sometimes use automation. There’s no part arguing whether it belongs philosophically. It’s been incorporated into normal workflows now.

https://answers.presonus.com/2929/featu ... 2929#q2929

https://answers.presonus.com/35563/fade ... 563#q35563

If I had to wager a guess (and this is just a guess) it’s probably less a matter of Presonus seeing the helpfulness of this and more an issue of deciding what it would look and act like GUI wise. I know we want them to “make it so” but things don’t always get revised much once they’re in there so I’d rather see it take long than see it get implemented wrong (like External Instruments were imho).

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by mycbeats on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 am
gregghart wrotePersonally, no. The way I see it, the projects page is designed to work with the song page. I do all my automation on the song page and use the Projects page strictly for mastering and creating my digital and DDP releases.

This assumes that there is not automation in mastering but this is incorrect.
There are many cases where its helpful - the simplest being fade in/outs. Currently, this is done pre inserts, but quite often you don't want your compression, limiting, and other dynamic processes affecting the fade curve.

Additionally, automation helps your edits be more subtle because you can get in and get out of say an eq notch without having to put it across the whole song.

The reality is, if the project page wants to be mastering tool that actual mastering engineers will use it needs automation.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by daniellesaux on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm
In addition to automation, I'd want to see a listen buss like in the song page. Many of us use correction software like Sonarworks. When we do, it makes the meters useless unless you bypass Sonarworks.

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by robertgray3 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 pm
daniellesaux wroteIn addition to automation, I'd want to see a listen buss like in the song page. Many of us use correction software like Sonarworks. When we do, it makes the meters useless unless you bypass Sonarworks.

Yup. I think the big three things that keep me from using the Project page are:

- No automation
- No listen bus
- No Transform

The last one may seem odd at first, but it's a real pain if you're using Pipeline for hardware inserts.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by johnboyd4 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm
gregghart wrotePersonally, no. The way I see it, the projects page is designed to work with the song page. I do all my automation on the song page and use the Projects page strictly for mastering and creating my digital and DDP releases.

So you never automate a limiter or volume in mastering? Weird. Every mastering engineer I know does.

RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by johnboyd4 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm
robertgray3 wrote
daniellesaux wroteIn addition to automation, I'd want to see a listen buss like in the song page. Many of us use correction software like Sonarworks. When we do, it makes the meters useless unless you bypass Sonarworks.

Yup. I think the big three things that keep me from using the Project page are:

- No automation
- No listen bus
- No Transform

The last one may seem odd at first, but it's a real pain if you're using Pipeline for hardware inserts.

Yes Robert. I agree on all 3. Even the transform. I use mostly hardware while mastering. So this would be a huge help. Not being able to automate a limiter or volume is the two main things bugging me.

by robertgray3 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:47 pm
Yes, automate is definitely more day-to-day useful than Transform but many mastering engineers I know use hardware like you so I added it to that list. Right now the Project Page is just a convenient but limited way to master someone's own S1 songs.

johnboyd4 wrote

So you never automate a limiter or volume in mastering? Weird. Every mastering engineer I know does.

Usually when people talk about the role of XYZ in mastering it's semantics. If someone is doing volume or post-fader automation in song page to make their master in the Project page sound better, then they are using automation in mastering. They're just looking at it differently and putting the inserts in a different spot.

What if there is no song page and someone sent you a two track mix that needs a little extra volume in the chorus for the sound they're going for in the limiter you're using? Do you choose to micromanage someone's mix around your choice of gear or move the file to the Song page where you can automate the input gain up by 0.5db during the chorus?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2

9 posts
Page 1 of 1