38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
50 bucks seems awfully cheap for something that seems to do so much. I'm not a keyboardist by any stretch of the imagination but relate to what I've seen in the vids.

The only thing is, it's always being shown in Logic which I don't have a mac, so I'm curious how well it works in S1. I realize from scouring the threads that I need two tracks to use it.

In the Logic viddy's they are using multiple instances of Scaler 2. They sync up with each other, is that correct?

There doesn't seem to be a demo to just try it myself.

Bye......:roll:
by Jemusic on Fri May 28, 2021 4:15 pm
Here is a Music Tech review and this is the summary at the end.

If you struggle to come up with convincing and compelling chord progressions or are stuck reaching for the same stale old chords, Scaler 2 could be a godsend. Whether you’re looking to use its massive preset chord-progression library for inspiration or want to delve more deeply into developing your own chords using variations and complex modulations, Scaler 2 can streamline your workflows in all manner of ways.

As with any form of music theory, you have to be patient to get the most out of it. But Scaler 2 has extensive features that can help both beginners and more experienced composers of any genre write more thoughtful music. It could also be of added use to film and TV composers that want a quick list of chords that evoke particular places and times.

Key features

Build progressions from hundreds of keys
More than 400 genre and artist chord sets
Arpeggio, strum and performance modes
Drag-and-drop MIDI export
MIDI and audio key detection
Play internal sounds or external instruments
200 new chord sets, new scales and 30 new instruments

I feel its a massive improvement if you are into this type of thing. Its a different animal and well advanced. Its currently at 2.4.0 Here is a link to the full review:

https://www.musictech.net/reviews/plug- ... -scaler-2/

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Fri May 28, 2021 6:56 pm
Yeah, I've been watching tons of viddy's on it and it's really something. I just really wanted to get some more "S1" user feedback.

I'm pretty sold on it, looks like it's easy to do in S1, I still like to demo stuff first though.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri May 28, 2021 7:05 pm
WOOT! There is a trial! :)

by sirmonkey on Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm
I have Scaler 2- Love it! There are loads of interesting chords, and endless options for different
types of arpeggios. You can seriously just bumble around with it and come up with good stuff.
And I've had zero issues using it in S1. I would take Scaler by miles over most of the VST's that
I've paid for. And I would bet $ that you'll grab after demo-ing it.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by IanM5 on Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 am
Scaler 2 is superb. I've tried pretty much all of the chord wrangling vsts and this is the one I keep coming back to. If you've found a couple of interesting chords by noodling about on the keyboard you can feed them to Scaler and it will tell you what scales fit those chords and what other chords are in those scales. If you have come up with a snippet of melody it will do the same. Or you can start from scratch in Scaler and put together a chord progression that you can play live on your keyboard, one white note per chord, and when you get it sounding good scaler will record the notes then let you drag the whole performance onto an S1 track.

As well as coming up with chords that work together it can also take those chords and turn them into hundreds of different arps, sequences, phrases, basslines and melodies.

It's a really quick way of putting together the bones of a song.

This guy co-designed the software and has put together some excellent tutorial videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s2bU1-oBW-

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 9:41 am
edit, I figured it out :)

by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 10:27 am
Gonna have to buy it :lol:

That nag screen is too annoying.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Done. Yeah, it will take me quite a while to really get it but I've been up since 7 having fun with it. Very inspiring.

by roland1 on Sat May 29, 2021 1:04 pm
FYI, none of your favorite albums was written using Scaler 2. :)

Just sayin'...I'm not sure it's as much fun to click on buttons as it is to write and create inside your own head. Unless you're doing it for jingles, in which case, who cares...Bang pots together. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 pm
What part of keyboard illiterate do you not understand? :lol:

White keys, one note for BEAUTIFUL chords that would take years to learn.

by davidspencerbarker on Sat May 29, 2021 2:33 pm
I'm a huge fan of Scaler 2 :D

For me as a non keyboardist and a person without music theory. It made great sense to buy the invaluable plugin
My music is actually sounding nice for once,lol

For a start is great for music composition work,lots of great features huge amount of chords,scales etc
Also it makes for a great learning tool such as the circle of fifths ,chord progression and much more

A great purchase,

Dell Optiplex, 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU@ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM,
1 TB SSD main drive,500GB HDD storage,.
External drive of 6TB HDD for the libraries and a 1TB SDD for other stuff
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen audio interface, Beydynamic DT250 headphones, and Rode dynamic Podmic
Lots of Kontakt libraries and other gear,(too much to list here :)
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 2:46 pm
The only thing missing is in Studio One. Logic can use this as a midi fx! That would be ace.

by Lokeyfly on Sat May 29, 2021 5:59 pm
roland1 wroteFYI, none of your favorite albums was written using Scaler 2. :)

Just sayin'...I'm not sure it's as much fun to click on buttons as it is to write and create inside your own head. Unless you're doing it for jingles, in which case, who cares...Bang pots together. :)

I dont think Scaler2 or a chord tool is just a jingles thing, as it can inspire someone to try chords they might not have thought of. It's primarily an aid. I do get what you're driving at though, and it was worth mentioning. Creativity is key and comes from the soul.

Scaler 2 looks cool. I never used a chord select instrument other than messing a few times with Cathouhlu. A few weeks ago, I tried Studio One's Chorder, and while I've always created chords 100% instinctively, I have to say, I was really thrilled about the result, and the song will be on my next album. I just wouldn't have tried that progression. It also made for a really good instruction device as it is laid out as m a circle of 5ths. Since Scaler 2 is even better equipped for chord patterns, it has to be helpful. So I'm thinking many won't be pushing buttons as much as arriving at good chord progressions. I think in the end, the user will make the right decisions. ;)
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sun May 30, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Sat May 29, 2021 7:28 pm
If you are well versed in music theory then Scaler 2 may not be that necessary. If you are not, then it could be a very helpful tool indeed. An ideal combination is having both. Music theory knowledge and Scaler 2. That is powerful.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 pm
I mean, it's just a starting point for me. I've still gotta get my hands dirty putting polishing on.

The thing is, they chord patterns. There are so many of them and they are just cooler than anything I would do.

The "bass" and "melody" things are hit and miss. I find the rhythms ... off. But sometimes (and I've been working with it a LOT today) it gives me ideas to go off of.

by roland1 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm
I know it's not a planetary extinction level issue, but sometimes I wonder where all of this is going, musically, when loops are more popular than music lessons, etc.

I understand if you don't know how to play an instrument that you might want to experiment with sounds, but is that perhaps also just a way of avoiding the effort of learning how to play?

It's more just a philosophical/quality of life issue that bounces around in my head. I'm somewhat lucky because I play a few instruments at a competent level, so I guess I'm coming from that direction. So it always makes me curious why someone can't sit there for a while and just noodle around on their keyboard or guitar until they find the right sound that they're looking for.

But I guess it's like fast food...it's just easier to have apps that experiment for you. But I'm not sure if the emotional reward is the same. When I get the right sound, I truly feel it. That's part of the payoff of writing, even if your songs are never heard.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by IanM5 on Sat May 29, 2021 10:40 pm
roland1 wroteI know it's not a planetary extinction level issue, but sometimes I wonder where all of this is going, musically, when loops are more popular than music lessons, etc.

I understand if you don't know how to play an instrument that you might want to experiment with sounds, but is that perhaps also just a way of avoiding the effort of learning how to play?

It's more just a philosophical/quality of life issue that bounces around in my head. I'm somewhat lucky because I play a few instruments at a competent level, so I guess I'm coming from that direction. So it always makes me curious why someone can't sit there for a while and just noodle around on their keyboard or guitar until they find the right sound that they're looking for.

But I guess it's like fast food...it's just easier to have apps that experiment for you. But I'm not sure if the emotional reward is the same. When I get the right sound, I truly feel it. That's part of the payoff of writing, even if your songs are never heard.

There was a time when sequencers were considered cheating.
And before that, overdubbing was considered cheating.
Arpeggiators, samplers, even electric guitars - all cheating etc.

Scaler is just another tool. It doesn't write the song for you - it just helps you find notes and chords that fit with each other, and with any keyboard noodling that you came up with, and lets you quickly audition and play with those chords and scales. If you drill down deeper it will help you experiment with modal interchange and modulations and stuff I've never heard of (Neo-Riemannian anyone?) But none of that makes a good song, it just helps you build the framework more quickly and it helps you break out of the rut that we all get stuck in because we tend to "noodle in the same way" over and over.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by dgkenney on Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 am
If you don't know music theory then Scaler will be a great addition and will teach you some along the way. If you do understand music theory then Scaler will be a great sketch pad and will allow intermodal and modulation constructions and guide tracks for melody, riffs, themes and bass lines. Either way you win. The latest 2.4 update is incredible and has expanded it's ease of use to contemporary musical genres as well as more classical or cinematic uses.

Tip - use Studio One's chord track and Duplicate Complete with Scaler to quickly sketch out a tune.

"Don't think about making music, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more music.” - stolen and paraphrased from Andy Warhol.

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by frank.crow on Sun May 30, 2021 7:56 am
reggie1979beatz wroteedit, I figured it out :)

Don’t forget Scaler 2 now has an separate Audio Version included with it. They are not stored together so you need to search for it.

Frank

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)