138 postsPage 5 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Yes! Change it please.

I absolutely hate and loathe Studio One's gui. It is a total mess. Those stupid symbols, the colours, everything. I will be leaving Studio One if it doesn't introduce themes or skins in version 6.

Guess everyone is different, but I really really cannot stand that blue grey mess that is Studio One;s gui.

Everything else... I love :)
by roland1 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:53 am
The GUI is one of the things that first attracted me to Studio One. I had been using Reaper (which is ugly as sin in most respects), and Digital Performer before that, which is TINY and BUSY as f*** [froglegs!] I still use all three and more, today, but S1 is my favorite to look at.

I also don't like flat looking interfaces that look like grey wrapping paper on something stored in a warehouse. I like the look of an interface that looks like a mixing board. S1 is good for that, IMO.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by kisnou on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 am
roland1 wroteThe GUI is one of the things that first attracted me to Studio One. I had been using Reaper (which is ugly as sin in most respects), and Digital Performer before that, which is TINY and BUSY as f*** [froglegs!] I still use all three and more, today, but S1 is my favorite to look at.

I also don't like flat looking interfaces that look like grey wrapping paper on something stored in a warehouse. I like the look of an interface that looks like a mixing board. S1 is good for that, IMO.

I also think that the GUI was one of the first aspects to then make me want to know more about it, until I finally tried it and felt pretty good with the workflow.
Some things though need to be seriously changed/improved, such as the inspector (I still can't understand why they can't find an easier way to transpose an event / sample) and the browser. These should be the priorities right now.

However: yes, themes and more coloring options would be appreciated.. especially the color palette which needs an update; update that has been requested multiple times with hundreds of votes.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by j0001s on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 pm
The criteria for the GUI for me is "Does it impede my ability to get the job done", and in general, the S1 GUI doesn't get in my way.

A few grumbles:
    *Color palette
    *Too many wrenches. I always forget which one controls what configuration element. And since some are on panels that can be hidden, or in the Options panel, I can get messed up
    *I'd like to be able to set defaults for track parameters (tempo, timestretch, layers follow events, etc.). Maybe it's there - but I can't find IT.
    *The bend tool displays as an arrow outside of a track, but doesn't behave as the smart arrow tool.

Because so much of the workflow is based on actions, context and key commands instead of menu selections, it's easy to forget how to do something. I remember what I can do, but not always how to do it.

And a simple request. In the browser, I wish there was an icon that I could click to collapse all expanded levels. There's another app that I use often that has this (icon is "-"), and it's really handy.
by kisnou on Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:58 am
j0001s wroteThe criteria for the GUI for me is "Does it impede my ability to get the job done", and in general, the S1 GUI doesn't get in my way.

I believe that no daw GUI can really "get in the way", since they are always made to enhance the workflow or with this idea in mind at least. It would be nonsense to make a GUI that somehow impedes the workflow. I think this is a matter of really just improving what can be clearly improved.

I agree there are too many buttons spread all over the GUI. In fact, this was my first thought when I moved to S1 and it is still something I can't get used to after quite some time. This is why I believe the improvements should start from the Inspector and Browser, then move to other areas.

https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by PreAl on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 am
I love the studio one GUI, it's quick. More buttons mean less clicks and it's good for tablets as well. If you want less buttons that means embedding the functionality into a more logical structure and more clicks, and I can see how that works for some. Thing is you can get that by right clicking and bring up context menus, maybe we need more of those.

It maybe that people want a quick/guided/expert GUI mode that reduces or enhances functionality on the GUI at the expense of less or more direct features available. That kind of feature is available on Photoshop Elements or Premiere elements.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-eleme ... 0red%20eye.

I'd just like to see higher resolution envelopes/waveforms and better/more polished multiscreen screen support. Sure being able to change colors would be nice but it's not top of the list.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by kisnou on Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:53 am
I agree on the better resolution of envelopes, plus automation points and more precision when it comes to selection I'd say

Sometimes I have to zoom in quite a lot to avoid selecting the wrong thing. Say I have two automation points close to each other and the cursor is right on one automation point, it would select the other. Same goes for other adjacent things, bend markers, gain envelope points.. Maybe I can attach a short video once I get home..

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:29 am
I guess maybe I'm in the minority? I like the GUI. Some people have made great points but overall I think it's clean and clear.

Bye......:roll:
by Lokeyfly on Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 am
When all else fails. Blame the GUI.

aduki wroteYes! Change it please.

I absolutely hate and loathe Studio One's gui. It is a total mess. Those stupid symbols, the colours, everything.

Guess everyone is different, but I really really cannot stand that blue grey mess that is Studio One;s gui.
Everything else... I love :)

So comments prior to this was ten months ago. It's obviously one of those you know, whine moments. By the way aduki, the "blue gray mess" is from version 2, about seven years ago. lol. I guess you'll have to find another coloring book.

aduki wrote: "I will be leaving Studio One if it doesn't introduce themes or skins in version 6."

There's always the old adage, "Don't let the door hit you in the A## on the way out".

Peace, love, out. 8-)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by ericma2 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:10 am
I really like S1's GUI. It's easy on the eyes and doesn't seem as busy to me as Logic. It looks more "refined" compared to Cubase. I still love the simplicity of Pro Tools but I've completely jumped ship and not looking back. I might jump ship again though. Cubase 12 is very tempting to me right now. The control room (whatever it's called) where you can have multiple listen bus type outputs for different instances of Sonarworks or Dirac. The Eucon integration. It's keyswitch implementation. But that GUI though... hard to look at.

But yeah, S1 definitely looks the best to me. I think they did a pretty good job it'll get better as they tweak it.

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by gaetzsch on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:05 am
If Presonus chose to implement Eucon, it would be in gamechanger. That would certainly generate many more customers.

Windows 11, Intel I5-12600K, Gigabyte Z690 GAMING DDR4, 32 GB RAM, Presonus R65, ESP 400 Series Telecaster, Ibanez LR 750, Fender Precision Bass, AMS Neve 88M, Fireface 400, SSL UF-8, Studio One 6.5 Pro, EZ Drummer 3, Melodyne Studio, VocAlign Project 5

https://www.justsimplyclyde.com
by Vocalpoint on Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:00 pm
gaetzsch wroteIf Presonus chose to implement Eucon, it would be in gamechanger. That would certainly generate many more customers.

Well - first Studio One would need to be on a level playing field with a very select list of "go-to" DAWs that are used again and again by large Hollywood productions, scoring to picture and so on. We are so not there yet.

Not aware of a single big movie studio (or even a small/medium size one) that would be banking exclusively on S1 to complete the audio portion of their next block buster.

So - more customers because of Eucon? Not right now. Maybe never.

But if S1 suddenly became the main production DAW at say - Skywalker Sound in California - then yes Eucon would make complete sense.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by shanabit on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:59 pm
Funny how people can't be bothered to try some of the GUI presets then edit from there.

So odd that you would buy a DAW and hate the GUI??? I think Reaper is calling you bro. It can be anything you want it to be and look any way you like if you are keen to programming your own theme as well.

I like the GUI the way it is as do many of us.

Its way better than Cubase to me. Less alien symbols that no one knows the meaning of.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by thomasforeman on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:54 pm
Two years into it, I'm pretty satisfied. Changes, in my view, should focus on functionality. Improving the color palette is functional as well as cosmetic. I wish I had at least a dozen main colors, each with two or more pastels.

But I think the most urgent need is a reorganization of all those checkbox options into logical groups, and the ability to page through them, so that if the option you're looking for isn't in the first place you try, you can check another. The Loop Follows Selection option -- great when you need it and a pain when you don't -- is hard to find. (It was my first macro.) It would be great if hovering over an option would pop up a brief explanation of its purpose.

Likewise, documentation needs attention. The details are generally there but finding them is iffy. The doc is almost silent on how and why to use those capabilities. Overviews are scant. Videos, for many of us, are the best source for understanding how things fit together. We need a better, searchable index of topics, listed in coherent groups.

T

Windows 11 Pro 64; Lenovo ThinkCentre 720t; Intel I-7; 32GB; Studio One 6.1 and Sphere; Focusrite Scarlett 18i8; Yamaha MX61 kbd
by tommikujala on Sun May 01, 2022 4:24 am
Yes, I agree the GUI is starting to look a little dated. I would like to see more rounded shapes overall for a more modern look. Let's hope there's some GUI updates in V6.
by PreAl on Sun May 01, 2022 6:44 am
tommikujala wroteYes, I agree the GUI is starting to look a little dated. I would like to see more rounded shapes overall for a more modern look. Let's hope there's some GUI updates in V6.

For me that's style over functionality. Not saying it isn't a valid comment but I don't need rounded boxes in Excel for instance. However you have a valid reason for this, mainly for touchscreen use. Hence my earlier suggestion, we could have various different UI modes much like Adobe Premiere Elements. E.g. basic (stripped down embedded menus), advanced (quick click one click - noisy interface but fast for those who know what they are doing), touchscreen (nice big buttons). Etc Basic and touchscreen could be the same thing.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by NoiseCoalition on Sun May 01, 2022 8:07 am
kisnou wrote
Lokeyfly wrotePretty clear the climate here is that the Studio One GUI is largely just fine from its users. There could be a few front end enhancements.

The most prominent areas in this thread look to be minimize any clutter, with added tabs or side panels.

Another repeated request for improvement looks to be updating or preferably overhauling the color pallette. Even a 256 color pallette when choosing swatches would be welcome. Skins, and a somewhat easily configurable color layout would be more than welcome.

Probably more requests to come as we near version 6.0. Best to request this stuff sooner than later.

I agree on that, I would also add that one serious priority should be the slight GUI changes that even if minor, would actually HELP the users, such as:

- When you select an event, it is highlighted in that lightblue which is often hard to see.
- Automation lanes should also be thicker, they are often hard to see as well. Automation points should have a better resolution to be more precise when selecting them.
- This is personal, but I'd like to see thicker midi notes in the events (when they are not opened in the editor). The data zoom should maybe expand those as well, not just the waveforms.
- With some color combinations, the Mute/Solo/Automation On-off buttons are hard to see, if you have colored tracks, especially if the track shares the same color of those buttons.

Adding to this.. I think the waveform display still has room for improvement. Currently if an event isn’t selected, waveform looks muted, making it hard to see. Would be great to be able to increase the contrast of the waveforms so it’s closer to solid black at all times.

Studio One Pro 6.5 | Macbook Pro M1 Max 16" 64gb | RME HDSPe MADI FX | Antelope Orion 32 HD | UAD Apollo x8p
by SwitchBack on Sun May 01, 2022 9:21 am
Time for a QFD session? :idea:
by cpowell on Mon May 02, 2022 1:44 pm
I am fine with the GUI, but I would like to see better pan controls on sends. That is a consistent irritation for me every I pan a send to a Bus. That can definitely be improved. And more color options for tracks...

Studio One 5 Professional
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by Lokeyfly on Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am
NoiseCoalition wrote
kisnou wrote
Lokeyfly wrotePretty clear the climate here is that the Studio One GUI is largely just fine from its users. There could be a few front end enhancements.

The most prominent areas in this thread look to be minimize any clutter, with added tabs or side panels.

Another repeated request for improvement looks to be updating or preferably overhauling the color pallette. Even a 256 color pallette when choosing swatches would be welcome. Skins, and a somewhat easily configurable color layout would be more than welcome.

Probably more requests to come as we near version 6.0. Best to request this stuff sooner than later.

I agree on that, I would also add that one serious priority should be the slight GUI changes that even if minor, would actually HELP the users, such as:

- When you select an event, it is highlighted in that lightblue which is often hard to see.
- Automation lanes should also be thicker, they are often hard to see as well. Automation points should have a better resolution to be more precise when selecting them.
- This is personal, but I'd like to see thicker midi notes in the events (when they are not opened in the editor). The data zoom should maybe expand those as well, not just the waveforms.
- With some color combinations, the Mute/Solo/Automation On-off buttons are hard to see, if you have colored tracks, especially if the track shares the same color of those buttons.

Adding to this.. I think the waveform display still has room for improvement. Currently if an event isn’t selected, waveform looks muted, making it hard to see. Would be great to be able to increase the contrast of the waveforms so it’s closer to solid black at all times.

@Kisnou, great point. Certain colors do Impact visibility against a background. Particularly Red against Mute, and Yellow against Solo. Only I like the consistent color of those indicators so choose colors carefully is my best guess for a fix. 👌 agree some things could be a little better. Mainly in the elbow room department like with the Inspector Track.

@ NoiseCoalition - Sounds reasonable. Though I do like the slight fade in waveform color that eventually might change to black. For example based on if the waveform was modified, such as in newly bounced or mixed colors of the waveform shown due to comped layers that haven't been bounced yet. It's very visible that the waveform is not yet bounced (turns black). So there's definately good visual feedback the way it is now. I suspect different strokes for different folks, but I actually like the GUI presently very much. As it is,the highlighted track always is black on the waveform so maybe it could be an option to select having all black eaves based on user preference. I like it the way it is fwiw.

*******Oh, I do have one GUI wish though, and that's the constant adjusting everytime I open a song and have to re align the Sends portion of the mixer boundary (double clicking it). Or it occurs at some whack time I didnt ask for. It should remain even from channel to channel once set, but it never does. A bit irritating at version 5 for this to be continuing.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

138 postsPage 5 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7