138 postsPage 1 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
Hey all,
Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether you'd welcome a complete GUI overhaul for whenever V6 drops or you're totally satisfied with it and don't think it needs it at all.

Maybe It's just me, but giving it a new 2021/2022 look would definitely be welcomed!!

If you think it does need it, what exactly would you change???

Thoughts?

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by leosutherland on Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm
No. The functionality and bugs of S1 should be sorted out, long before worrying about how pretty it looks. My opinion :D

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm
Ditto. Although it will never happen :lol:

Bye......:roll:
by IanM5 on Sat May 15, 2021 2:01 pm
GUI is perfect for me. Grown up and very functional. Other DAWs could learn a lot I think.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 15, 2021 2:29 pm
That's how I kinda feel about it. It's the only one that I can get things done w/o too much fuss. I think cubase looks pretty good, but it has issue too.

by garyshepherd on Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm
I would like the ability to customise the look as you were able to do in Digital Performer. Studio One is a DAW where you can get things done but I would like a better looking GUI. Some proper themes or skins and the chance to customise the look would be nice. Obviously sort the bugs out - but it does need a fresher look. I don't think it would be that difficult.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by robertgray3 on Sat May 15, 2021 9:10 pm
I personally enjoy the changes they made throughout v4 to the GUI. Would appreciate if they added some tabs to the Inspector before skins and such. I feel like from 4.0 to 5.2 they've added about a dozen fields to the Inspector, it's getting really overcrowded.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by ozinga on Sun May 16, 2021 1:46 am
I only feel the need for refinements.
Better Color options with custom names and presets and better indication of selected regions. Especially when you use blueish colors for regions it is hard to distinguish what is selected and what is not. When you zoom out all the way out the selected region(s) should be obvious immediately.

As Robert mentioned the inspector started to look bloated and some other parts as well.
Would love to customize what is visible and what is not. Personally I would love to hide Project and Show Page boxes , Cloud and Shop tabs in Browser. Little things like this could help reduce the clutter for users that need it.

MB PRO 2018 32/1TB Mojave
iMac 2017 64/512 Mojave
UAD Apollo X6 / UAD Apollo 16 / UAD Apollo Twin X
by stefanrauch1 on Sun May 16, 2021 2:46 am
I'm happy with the overall look, as well. Timeless, unobtrusive, functional.
Don't care about 3D, shadings, fat borders, loud colors, track pictures...
An improved track color section would be welcome, though... https://s1scripts.wixsite.com/colortoolbar
And smoother zoom and scroll presentation wouldn't be a bad thing either. But that's about all I can think of as far as GUI goes.
Can't say anything against previous stated selection visibility and customization options of course.

Otherwise I'd always prefer more/better basic DAW functionality and workflow improvements over half-baked hyped up mostly useless soon to be abandoned bells and whistles.

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by patricemazmanian on Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am
leosutherland wroteNo. The functionality and bugs of S1 should be sorted out, long before worrying about how pretty it looks. My opinion :D

I am of that opinion.
Integrating skins is certainly not a function that interests me!

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by jonhamilton2 on Sun May 16, 2021 7:52 am
Time for a better browser ! And better graphics for the UI,is a great idea.

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version
by kisnou on Sun May 16, 2021 8:58 am
Coming from other DAWs, I think a GUI improvement would be appreciated. Not a very high priority at the moment, but surely one thing that would be appreciated, also because it really doesn't require a genius to do it.

Personally, as Robert mentioned, I think the GUI needs to be more tidy and clean. I remember when I switched to Studio One 5, I really felt there were too many buttons, too much confusion. Now they have added more features, which means even more buttons and icons.. It will soon become a mess if they don't find a solution.

Then, yes, I agree that Studio One would need more customization options, skins/themes, maybe the possibility to choose the color of some buttons (such as solo or mute for example), better rendering of colors. I would especially work on automations and how midi notes look in the events (they should be bigger, so that you can better guess what you have played without even opening the editor); the possibility to change font or add icons would help as well.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by kisnou on Sun May 16, 2021 9:00 am
Oh and I would also update the looks of the stock plugins. To me, it is not a real pleasure to either look at them or tweak them, they look a bit like toys (especially the note fx), but that's my opinion.

https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by ozinga on Sun May 16, 2021 9:13 am
I mean it is really hard to tell if the blue region is selected or not.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 18.12.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 18.13.08.png

MB PRO 2018 32/1TB Mojave
iMac 2017 64/512 Mojave
UAD Apollo X6 / UAD Apollo 16 / UAD Apollo Twin X
by garyshepherd on Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 am
The look is important especially if you are working all day on it - for those who don't care about the look then that is their choice but it should not be imposed on me - it would be nice to have the flexibility and choice of more options. It can really improve workflow.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by reggie1979beatz on Sun May 16, 2021 10:32 am
kisnou wroteOh and I would also update the looks of the stock plugins. To me, it is not a real pleasure to either look at them or tweak them, they look a bit like toys (especially the note fx), but that's my opinion.

I'm a bit confused, they redid at least most of the stock plugins in 5 :)

by kisnou on Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 am
ozinga wroteI mean it is really hard to tell if the blue region is selected or not.

The attachment Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 18.12.14.png is no longer available

The attachment Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 18.13.08.png is no longer available

Forgot about that as well. It's a pretty annoying thing to be honest, and there should be a way to make highlighted events look more clearly. Also, with certain combinations of colors+appearence settings, you might end up 'covering' the Mute button (if the track is colored in red), the solo button (if it's yellow) or the automation on/off button (if blue) - green color can hide the solo safe mode button as well.

When I mentioned how thin the midi notes look in events, I wanted to add a screenshot to explain.
There is actually more 'space' in the events (especially in the bottom and top side) for the midi notes to look a bit thicker. It would help, in my opinion.
Right now the chords may look very similar, almost close to each other in terms of pitch, while if you open the editor, the chords are actually many tones apart from each other. Ableton has a better way to show midi notes inside of events.

Attachments
Screenshot_3.png

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by kisnou on Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
reggie1979beatz wrote
kisnou wroteOh and I would also update the looks of the stock plugins. To me, it is not a real pleasure to either look at them or tweak them, they look a bit like toys (especially the note fx), but that's my opinion.

I'm a bit confused, they redid at least most of the stock plugins in 5 :)

Yeah, but does that look good to you?
To me, it doesn't and I wanted to make it clear it was an opinion :)

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by gregghart on Sun May 16, 2021 11:55 am
First, it wouldn't be a 2021 / 2022 look. Studio One 5.5 would come out first, and that likely won't be in 2021, and maybe will come sometime in the middle / end of 2022....then at least a year and a half later, 6 would drop. So, don't hold your breath for Studio One 6.

As to a GUI change, I did agree. I think it's one of the better looking DAWS out there. I used to be a Cakewalk Sonar Platinum user. Even though it's not free under the Bandlab moniker, I don't use it any longer....talk about TOO much on the screen at one time. It looks SO cluttered now...

SO1 is so much cleaner.

Then you have Reaper. You can make it look as cluttered or as clean as you want...especially with the themes packages...however, you spend so much time configuring it, you have no more time to record with it.

So, what I wouldn't mind seeing for Studio One....Customizable themes. That way, those of us happy with the look don't have to worry about it. Those that like to tweak....they can make it look how they want.

It's a win win.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by reggie1979beatz on Sun May 16, 2021 12:25 pm
Yeah, for me, reaper is a mess. Not that it's a bad platform, but it's WAY more cluttery than anything else I can remember using.

That's the thing about S1, everything has it's place (though I agree the inspector is getting out of control)

138 postsPage 1 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7