138 postsPage 7 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Quietly wrote"Don´t like Orange" "Looks like Cakewalk"? Let me know what you guys are smoking and I'll try some LOL.

We couldn't get that high Gerry. :mrgreen:
The stuff now is all Lab developed and as you can see, makes some see colors, and hallucinate.

I was always curious about Bitwig and have no time to try it, and I'm in a rather comfortable place with Studio One. Though, yeah I'd agree with you. If NI Kontrol can scale in one but not the other, it may be necessary to update a new graphics interface in S1.

My contention is:
*The Inspector panel is getting way too crowded and could benefit from tabs to create easy catagories.

*The ridiculous on/off metering of instruments when they should be velocity scaled. That fake meter bar isn't fooling anyone.

And now I'm adding: (courtesy of your input)
*properly and overdue scaling of 3rd part plugins such as from NI.

Oh yeah, for the eight thousandth time, Reverse Loop to skip forward.. Not GUI related but long overdue. Child's play for a real developer. It's unfortunately time to add insults. ;)

Otherwise, I'm a happy camper! (and drug free!) 8-)
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 am
@ metering: I'd like some elaboration, I've got other meter options if it's really that big a difference. I FREQUENTLY use the excellent VU meter that is free :)

@Bitwig: The product is excellent. BUT, the company is poop :lol: That dude Dom is a (insert derogatory put-down here :D )

EDIT, I guess they have updated it quite a bit(wig)

Also, it is MANDATORY to include a cat pick when discussing bitwig!

Bye......:roll:
by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:53 am
reggie1979beatz wrote@ metering: I'd like some elaboration, I've got other meter options if it's really that big a difference. I FREQUENTLY use the excellent VU meter that is free :)

It has nothing to do with VU metering. An instrument displays a velocity level via its MIDI or internal protocol. Velocity is the default, and doesn't reflect volume level. i.e. the velocity might trigger an LFO or pitch, etc. Its a visual indicator since the inception of the MIDI standard. It can be similar to volume but not interpreted as volume. Having the indicator along tracks that reveal both audio level and instrument level is homogenous. At a glance one can determine what is going on at that juncture. Since the time of Opcode, Emagic, or Steinberg Pro 16 (mid 1980's), this was and remains the norm. It's displayed today with DP, Nuendo, Cubase, Reason, Reaper, Live, etc.

It is not always a level indicator but a status indicator informing the user the rate velocity is triggering. That's the reason the bar is a different color so that one can differentiate an instrument from an audio level signal.

Currently, Studio One's faux instrument level meter is only there to look similar respective to the other level indicators. It's nothing more than on/off information. I sincerely hope Studio One developers can see the importance and cohesiveness of a graduating level because it's pretty scary it has sat all these years like a single LED. You don't get to make the next level in serious DAW's when such misses occur. That's my opinion (and it should be theirs).

Bitwig has some really nice features in both macro knob visibility, and graphic editing. Its a very user friendly DAW for keyboard players who can benefit from its layout. Every DAW has its strengths.

I'll add one more feature because I think it could be a GUI change to make happen (thanks to Bitwig)
* the editor panel [F2] should display if desired, both instrument (MIDI notes) and audio at the same time. This would allow better timing comparison and adjustability at the same time between the two.
Currently, this feature has been with Bitwig from its introduction.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 am
So with that being said, is there anything that helps with this that can be used in Studio One?

by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 am
reggie1979beatz wroteSo with that being said, is there anything that helps with this that can be used in Studio One?

No Reggie, we're all bringing up these GUI suggestions so that it can help Samplitude Pro X. :shock: :D

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:58 am
OMG, what buggy mess that thing is!

by Quietly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:18 am
Lokeyfly wrote
Quietly wrote"Don´t like Orange" "Looks like Cakewalk"? Let me know what you guys are smoking and I'll try some LOL.

We couldn't get that high Gerry. :mrgreen:
The stuff now is all Lab developed and as you can see, makes some see colors, and hallucinate.

I was always curious about Bitwig and have no time to try it, and I'm in a rather comfortable place with Studio One. Though, yeah I'd agree with you. If NI Kontrol can scale in one but not the other, it may be necessary to update a new graphics interface in S1.

My contention is:
*The Inspector panel is getting way too crowded and could benefit from tabs to create easy catagories.

*The ridiculous on/off metering of instruments when they should be velocity scaled. That fake meter bar isn't fooling anyone.

And now I'm adding: (courtesy of your input)
*properly and overdue scaling of 3rd part plugins such as from NI.

Oh yeah, for the eight thousandth time, Reverse Loop to skip forward.. Not GUI related but long overdue. Child's play for a real developer. It's unfortunately time to add insults. ;)

Otherwise, I'm a happy camper! (and drug free!) 8-)

LOL Thanks I needed your post badly.

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:01 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteOMG, what buggy mess that thing is!

You've worked with it?

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:49 am
Lokeyfly wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteOMG, what buggy mess that thing is!

You've worked with it?

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.........

by iwandavies on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:11 pm
PreAl wroteBug fixes first.
Enhancements and features for missing basic functionality second.
Anything GUI should be a revision rather than a change, little changes here and there. Change for changes sake is just a waste of time, the UI is mostly intuitive and quick to use.

It's a piece of software. Is this the best UI there could be for it? No. It doesn't even have hover over pop outs explaining functionality (if desired). Which is one reason that it has such a huge user manual. Which is one reason it needs such a huge reference manual - a valid criticism from Fender's CEO - because creating a longer steeper learning curve kills potential sales. Some of the tools that change their function don't have switch off/on options. Some things (like sends) and the size of the bottom panel in the edit window are difficult to access. There's huge scope for improvement.

Studio One has a lot of things right. But the GUI has great scope for improvement. Most DAW GUIs have scope fr improvement. And the prime reason to improve them isn't the existing user base. It's to make your product more accessile to newbies than your competitor's ones. That way - you make the sale - you increase your user base. Everyone wins.
by PreAl on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:34 pm
iwandavies wroteIt doesn't even have hover over pop outs explaining functionality (if desired).

viewtopic.php?t=234&p=964

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by nathanielwalker2 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 am
Lokeyfly wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteSo with that being said, is there anything that helps with this that can be used in Studio One?

No Reggie, we're all bringing up these GUI suggestions so that it can help Samplitude Pro X. :shock: :D

Honestly regardless of how bad anyone things Samplitude Pro X looks, the Object-Oriented Editing there is such a massive gain that it is worth exploring despite the looks. I did use X4 Suite, and even after I got Studio One I ended up using X4 Suite over Studio One because whatever Studio One added in some areas, Samplitude pretty much offsets it with how easily it allows you to encapsulate things into Objects, do sound design and then Duplicate/Copy/Move all of that with the object.

I also did a lot of music design work around that time, and Samplitude is just... way better when it comes to editing audio. I use WaveLab Pro for all of that these days, though.

There are certainly areas of the GUI that are far superior in Studio One. I also think there are areas of the Samplitude Pro X GUI that are superior. And there are certainly areas of its functionality that are superior.

In any case, I don't see a problem in someone on this forum asking for a feature they may have liked in another DAW they've used - so long as it's a reasonable request. I don't understand why people feel the need to be so damn partisan about DAW choice, these days.

----- -----

Personally, less crashes would be helpful. I've probably gotten more crashes in Studio One 5 than in any other DAW I've used, especially when it comes to plug-in use - and it doesn't feel specific to one developer's plug-ins. Everything from NI to IKM to Steinberg to iZotope to Softube, etc. has crashed this DAW.

Best feature of Samplitude is that it boots up in like 3-4 seconds on my machines, Lol. Those were the good ole days.

I'm interesting to see what they add in v6, but I'm not sure I can justify upgrading Studio One. I went to 5 low-key hoping it would give me a reason to ditch Cubase, but it never really delivered... At this point, I don't feel a whole lot of interest in rocking the boat.

Samplitude Pro X with the Reason Rack Plug-in does feel like a match made in heaven, but MAGIX is on crack with those upgrade prices :-|
by wdkbeats on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:10 pm
I love the current GUI, hope it will not be changed in V6. Improvements are welcome.

PC: AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz CL16, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8GB, SSD CORSAIR SSD MP510 960GB M.2 NVMe (OS)
DAW: Studio One Professional x64
Gear: RME Fireface 802 + RME Advanced Remote, Prometheus Acoustics monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, JBL 305p, Softube Console 1, Presonus Faderport, AKAI Advance 61, Presonus Faderport, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:15 pm
wdkbeats wroteI love the current GUI, hope it will not be changed in V6. Improvements are welcome.

Again, as stated before, me too. I love the clean hassle free thing. Cripes, I haven't even messed with the default settings :lol:

More options would of course be welcome, but what is there to do? PT is ugly to me, Live is the same as it's been since day one overall, Bitwig is too Halloween :lol:

Cubase is basically the same, Reaper can change things but it's never quite right. Always something I wish was different.

by BobF on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 pm
All I want changed in the GUI is a simple level control in Appearance Settings that will turn down the intensity of selected Tracks and Channels.

I must be pretty happy ;)

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by jih64 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:10 pm
I'll just leave this here, make of it what you will

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=es

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by nathanielwalker2 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:19 pm
jih64 wroteI'll just leave this here, make of it what you will

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=es

Lol. Well, no need waiting.

WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 6:
NEW Customizable user interface: Show or hide essentially every user interface tool and function with the new Customization Editor.
NEW Smart Templates: Smart Templates provide essential toolsets for the tasks at hand from basic recording to mixing stems, mastering an album to setting up a live show
NEW Global Lyrics Support: Add lyrics to your scores, songs, productions, and live performances with the all-new global Lyrics Track
NEW Global Video Track: The all-new global Video Track provides an intuitive video workflow thanks to the familiar drag and drop functionality that made Studio One famous
NEW Track Presets: Store every aspect of a given track or channel for instant recall, even for multiple selected tracks/channels
NEW Advanced Collaboration with PreSonus Sphere: Studio One 6 deepens the integration between your desktop application and your PreSonus Sphere Workspaces with convenient sharing options and built-in sync options right from the Studio One Browser

Other things I see:

1. Complete suite of 39 Native Effects plug-ins including all new De-Esser, Vocoder, and improved ProEQ3 with per-band dynamics mode.
2. Track Icons
3. Sound Variations is going to import from EastWest Opus (unless this was added in an update efor v5, I know it wasn't part of the initial batch of supported instruments in v5).
4. Pristine sound quality with native 64-bit resolution and support for up to 768 kHz audio. -- Latter part seems newish.

No mention of Surround or Atmos, though this can be there just not listed here. Without Surrund Support, the Video Track is effectively useless unless they're marketing to YouTube VLOGers or something (who score their own videos, instead of just using stock music).

----- -----

Unfortunate notices:

1. They don't seem to have designed a decent Lite Theme for the GUI.
2. Browser still seems largely the same as v5 e.g. Awful.
3. No mention of External Audio Editor Support.
4. Doesn't seem like they brought any of the metering from the Project Page over to the Song Page.
5. Track icons seems quite space wasting. Probably can hide them, though.
6. Still has the tiny tabs in the plug-in editor window.
7. No new Note FX
8. People talking about a Clip Launcher can stop talking about it. It is not coming (in v6).

----- -----

I feel a bit sorry that this has leaked in this way. It isn't completely comprehensive, but it's definitely "fairly comprehensive."

Going to be a pretty hard pass from me, I'm sorry to say.

Most of the big ticket items are in decade old versions DAWs that I've used... Lyrics, Video Track, Vocoder, Track Presets, Decent UI Customization, a usable De-Esser, Track Icons...

The "whopper'ness" of their upgrades has certainly toned down a bit (since v4.5). That, or they are holding out and being more thrifty with how they add the features in... to make sure they always have "enough" to convince most people to upgrade.

I still think most should wait until the official announcement to catch details that aren't on an eCommerce website. It's just enough for me to know that I am not interested in it.

I do like the product box image. Understated and classy.
by Lokeyfly on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 pm
nathanielwalker2 wrote
Lokeyfly wrote

Honestly regardless of how bad anyone things Samplitude Pro X looks, the Object-Oriented Editing there is such a massive gain that it is worth exploring despite the looks. I did use X4 Suite, and even after I got Studio One I ended up using X4 Suite over Studio One because whatever Studio One added in some areas, Samplitude pretty much offsets it with how easily it allows you to encapsulate things into Objects, do sound design and then Duplicate/Copy/Move all of that with the object.

I also did a lot of music design work around that time, and Samplitude is just... way better when it comes to editing audio. I use WaveLab Pro for all of that these days, though.

There are certainly areas of the GUI that are far superior in Studio One. I also think there are areas of the Samplitude Pro X GUI that are superior. And there are certainly areas of its functionality that are superior.

In any case, I don't see a problem in someone on this forum asking for a feature they may have liked in another DAW they've used - so long as it's a reasonable request. I don't understand why people feel the need to be so damn partisan about DAW choice, these days.

@ nathanielwalker2
Well, I see my name in a quote with your comment right behind it. Would you mind explaining how this represents my feelings towards Samplitude Pro X at all? I've also never commented on its look which I happen to like.

On the contrary, I've used several examples in the past where Samplitude Pro had excellent audio smart tool usage and wished it were in Studio One. Even as an FR.

I brought up Samplitude Pro [prior to your example] only being fascitous because that someone asked how any points in this thread would help Studio One. I could have chosen any DAW. Their response seemed more like a dis (which I wont quote, but perhaps you should have) about Pro X. Certainly not mine. Did you read that?
In fact, after their response, I stated "Have you tried Pro X?". Because quite honestly, I haven't heard any credible arguments against it. Not old, or new. So I'm a bit miffed by your choosing my quote to jump on. (Or so it seems)

I happen to admire Samplitude's Pro X design and object oriented editing. I'd say history wise, a lot.
I'd like to know why you chose my comment to defend Samplitude Pro X.
Ironically, if Studio One went belly up, I'd use it for years to come but would likely gravitate to S Pro. I already use PT, but am not happy with their subscription policy. I only keep it for professional applications.

Best to speak directly who'm you're speaking to.
TY

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

138 postsPage 7 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7