138 postsPage 6 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lokeyfly wrote
@ NoiseCoalition - Sounds reasonable. Though I do like the slight fade in waveform color that eventually might change to black. For example based on if the waveform was modified, such as in newly bounced or mixed colors of the waveform shown due to comped layers that haven't been bounced yet. It's very visible that the waveform is not yet bounced (turns black). So there's definately good visual feedback the way it is now. I suspect different strokes for different folks, but I actually like the GUI presently very much. As it is,the highlighted track always is black on the waveform so maybe it could be an option to select having all black eaves based on user preference. I like it the way it is fwiw.

It could be as simple as inverting the waveform colors when it's selected to make it stand out more.

Also it would be nice if there was some sort of icon or indicator near the track name that showed what MIDI tracks have been "Transformed to Audio". Sometimes the midi notes overlayed on top of the audio waveform in the event get lost depending on the color. For instance, if the even is red, the midi notes are red and get lost. It makes it hard to decipher what tracks can be converted back to midi in a large session.

Studio One Pro 6.5 | Macbook Pro M1 Max 16" 64gb | RME HDSPe MADI FX | Antelope Orion 32 HD | UAD Apollo x8p
by Robdp on Wed May 11, 2022 9:17 pm
Yes it's time for a change! A refresh and GUI shaping is needed. Looking at this screen for 13 hours a day for the last 5 years sometimes gets a little :shock:

Whilst you're at it...
Please make the mute/solo button stand out so that I can see a channel is "muted or soloed" when the track is also a red/yellow color...

Also, when I've got groups.. if I highlight one channel, also highlight all the channels in that group so that at a glance I can see where I'm at. Those small little colored bars at the edge just don't do it!

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by Lokeyfly on Sat May 14, 2022 6:59 am
NoiseCialition wrote: "......Also it would be nice if there was some sort of icon or indicator near the track name that showed what MIDI tracks have been "Transformed to Audio". Sometimes the midi notes overlayed on top of the audio waveform in the event get lost depending on the color. For instance, if the even is red, the midi notes are red and get lost. It makes it hard to decipher what tracks can be converted back to midi in a large session."

I haven't seen that, but I'm sure it can happen. The bar colors always seem to be very well chosen, but Im rarely looking for them. Something they should verify or fix. If you could show or state an example it would help them pinpoint the problem.

To your other point, I guess a waveform inversion could be an option. Interesting how people view a GUI. Quite honestly for me the selected track and mixer channels always seems to be findable. Speaking of findable, I'd like to see if a track is selected, the corresponding mixer channel jump to center of the mixer (if option selected). Currently, the way to make the channel appear is to scroll it into view. Jump to center, would be a workflow advantage for sure. That of course is a suggestion. Not a GUI issue.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by NoiseCoalition on Sat May 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Lokeyfly wroteI haven't seen that, but I'm sure it can happen. The bar colors always seem to be very well chosen, but Im rarely looking for them. Something they should verify or fix. If you could show or state an example it would help them pinpoint the problem.

To your other point, I guess a waveform inversion could be an option. Interesting how people view a GUI. Quite honestly for me the selected track and mixer channels always seems to be findable. Speaking of findable, I'd like to see if a track is selected, the corresponding mixer channel jump to center of the mixer (if option selected). Currently, the way to make the channel appear is to scroll it into view. Jump to center, would be a workflow advantage for sure. That of course is a suggestion. Not a GUI issue.

Here's an example of an instrument track that has been transformed to audio.

As you can see, no indication at all that it can be transformed back to midi

If you do an extreme data zoom, you can see the midi notes in red and still hard to see.

Studio One Pro 6.5 | Macbook Pro M1 Max 16" 64gb | RME HDSPe MADI FX | Antelope Orion 32 HD | UAD Apollo x8p
by Lokeyfly on Sat May 14, 2022 6:57 pm
I see. Yeah it took enlarging the waveform to see the notes. They should have either some auto adjust for notes so they pop, or allow better user swatch selection. Like a few different fields where a user can do some basic color charting. Good call.

I hope someone is minding the store and taking notes.

One ultimate GUI change should be that dismal collection of color swatches. It's a few clicks more adjustable than Gameboy.

But I don't want to hex myself. I had a great day doing some serious song fixing in Studio One today. As far as the meat and potatoes go, Studio One is an excellent, excellent DAW. :punk:

In other words, I'm in a very happy place.
I do think most of the intent by users to better the program is real productive, like it usually is in the forum. A good thing.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by philipbenjamin1 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 am
I love the functionality and structure of Studio One but not its GUI. I am surprised that people don't have any desire for Studio One to better conform with the style guidelines of the platform on which they use it.

I am a Mac user - I want it to look like a Mac app - it should fit in stylistically with the other apps I use on my Mac. As it should also do on Windows.

I think that potential new users are used to apps which have a more pro app look (a look which is a combination of platform standards and pro app standards) - some will be put off switching to Studio One for this reason.

The pro app look will become more important the more that Studio One develops in its notation features - it's very important that bold and multiple colours not compete with the visual content being worked on. One reason pro apps have their usually pro app style (which is usually mostly in shades of grey) is so the content pops out and everything else does not. I am not saying that colour cannot be used as it is for example in Logic to differentiate track types - but these features are more discreet in Logic than in Studio One.

I don't know how to describe the design but I don't like the visual style of the German DAWS (Cubase and Studio One).

I believe that settling on a more widely appealing gentler (less hard edged) GUI style is a necessary part of positioning Studio One as the winning DAW.
by davidlarson6 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:58 am
philipbenjamin1 wroteI love the functionality and structure of Studio One but not its GUI. I am surprised that people don't have any desire for Studio One to better conform with the style guidelines of the platform on which they use it.

I am a Mac user - I want it to look like a Mac app - it should fit in stylistically with the other apps I use on my Mac. As it should also do on Windows.

I disagree with this. I think that it's a bit silly for a multi-platform app to have different "looks" to conform with platform "style," which is subject to change over time. I use S1 on both Windows and Mac, and I'm perfectly happy to have the appearance remain as consistent as possible as I switch between computers.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by PreAl on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:11 am
philipbenjamin1 wroteI love the functionality and structure of Studio One but not its GUI. I am surprised that people don't have any desire for Studio One to better conform with the style guidelines of the platform on which they use it.

davidlarson6 wroteI disagree with this. I think that it's a bit silly for a multi-platform app to have different "looks" to conform with platform "style," which is subject to change over time. I use S1 on both Windows and Mac, and I'm perfectly happy to have the appearance remain as consistent as possible as I switch between computers.

Also disagree, I often go between Mac and PC, I want the application user interface to be the same.
Regardless it's never going to happen, dev's don't want to waste their time designing seperate user interfaces for specific operating systems (KISS principle) unless there is a good reason (like a mobile phone).

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by gregghart on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:21 am
PreAl wrote

davidlarson6 wroteI disagree with this. I think that it's a bit silly for a multi-platform app to have different "looks" to conform with platform "style," which is subject to change over time. I use S1 on both Windows and Mac, and I'm perfectly happy to have the appearance remain as consistent as possible as I switch between computers.

Also disagree, I often go between Mac and PC, I want the application user interface to be the same.

Completely agree. It needs to stay the same across all platforms. Why make support harder, and why make it harder on those that use this across multiple platforms. Consistancy is king.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by Late_Bloomer on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm
I'd like to see some arrangement view refinements.

IMO, Studio One is an upgrade in GUI when coming from Reaper, but not so much when comparing Studio One's GUI to Cubase's. I'm mainly talking about the overall look of MIDI and Audio clips/events in relation to the background. Perhaps, the texture/flatness of audio/midi events needs to be adjusted so it does not blend in so much with the background of the arrangement area.

In general, I have nothing against flat GUIs, but Studio One's take on it feels too flat. Which can make it kind of lifeless and uninspiring. The contrast and overall distinction of various clips, especially in a busy project, is better handled in DAWs such as Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic. The 'Draw Events Translucent' option does make a difference, but still not quite there yet. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with with Studio One's look and feel.
by gottfriedbergmair on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 pm
So far I like the S1 Gui very much! :)

My wish list of what could be done:

GUI & appearance
- better visibility of events and the play cursor itself
- one optional user defined color palette
- Mapping MIDI CC controls

Multi-Out instruments
- better handling of multi-outs

Help :reading:
- Tooltips for a deeper explanation on many icons/checkboxes
(only as an option as this might be a workflow killer for some advanced users)

Automation
- Improved vertical scaling of automation lanes/arranger tracks. In many cases we don’t need a volume range of 100 dB!

Macros
- Improved macro editor and macro commands e.g. calling a macro from a macro

My prediction for 6.0: We will get some Fender gear as a plug-in (instead of an improved Mai Tai).

I hope they will make the things we already have better.

gottfried

Win 10 64 i7-7K 32GB 2x M2, Studio One 6 Pro + Fat Channel XT Suite + Studio 192 + Eris E8 + FP2018 + ATOM+ATOM SQ; Keylab mk2 49, Lewitt 441 Flex, Zoom H5, Mackie 402-VLZ4; SW: Arturia V + FX, Melodyne 5 STUDIO, u-he Synths, TAL, Klanghelm, RX Std 10
by jandziock on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:26 am
I'm surprised that noone has proposed CLAP support yet.

Where are you, zealots? :XD:

P.S.: No, I don't propose it. I couldn't care less about it.
by DJKeys on Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:30 am
My only complaint is the track colors-

-dj

2019 iMAC i7
250GB SSD (internal)
1TB SSD (external)x2
16GB RAM
OSX 13.5
Studio One 5.5.2
Waves Platinum v14
Ozone 9 Advanced
Focusrite Dual Mono Mic Pre
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Nektar T4
by ansolas on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 am
philipbenjamin1 wroteI don't know how to describe the design but I don't like the visual style of the German DAWS (Cubase and Studio One).

Logic is also a german DAW, but I know what you mean. I think „form follows function“ is one part of it

Presonus StudioOne 6, Apple Logic Pro
__
macOS, macMini M1 1TB SSD / 16 GB RAM,
MOTU M2, Behringer X-Touch & 2*X-Touch Extender,
https://ansolas.de
by Quietly on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:53 am
I have been using Bitwig for the last 2 weeks and whilst in many ways it lacks many of S1 features it is so much easier on the eyes. It's more legible and appears to have scaling of VST's such as Native Instruments Kontrol more resolved than S1. Accepting that Presonus states that VST Scaling is the responsibility of the plugin manufacturer. So yes I would be in favor of a GUI update.

ImageJust A Little Bit by Gerry Cooper, on Flickr

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by taylorscott2 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:39 am
Quietly wroteI have been using Bitwig for the last 2 weeks and whilst in many ways it lacks many of S1 features it is so much easier on the eyes. It's more legible and appears to have scaling of VST's such as Native Instruments Kontrol more resolved than S1. Accepting that Presonus states that VST Scaling is the responsibility of the plugin manufacturer. So yes I would be in favor of a GUI update.

ImageJust A Little Bit by Gerry Cooper, on Flickr

Bitwig's GUI looks like a toy to me for some reason. Can't stand the orange.

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c
by shanabit on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:18 am
BitWig looks like Cakewalk

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Quietly on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:43 am
"Don´t like Orange" "Looks like Cakewalk"? Let me know what you guys are smoking and I'll try some LOL.

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by Robdp on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:13 am
Also needed in S1 V6 is workspaces…

set key commands for certain workspaces ( window sets) and flick between them via shortcuts.

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:46 am
Again, I have 0% issues with the GUI or the colors.

To me Studio One is the cleanest most straight-forward GUI/colors.

But everyone is different.

Bye......:roll:

138 postsPage 6 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7