13 posts
Page 1 of 1
If I have an audio event, say 2 seconds in length, how can I extend it to be 8 seconds long without stretching the audio, i.e. without slowing down the audio? I just want to take a 2 second clip and extend it so that I have a single 8 second clip, 2 seconds of audio and 6 seconds of silence.

I can do this by drawing an empty event after the initial 2 second clip, merging the events and then bouncing to a new track, but I was hoping there would be a more direct way of doing this.

Studio One 6 Pro (Sphere), Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2950X, 128 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB NVME SSD, NI Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's, NI Komplete Kontrol M32, NI Komplete Audio 2, Melodyne 5 Studio
by Tacman7 on Sat May 15, 2021 7:46 am
Welcome to the Forum!

Paste copies?

That would work if you can make the section loop seamlessly.

So it can repeat?

There's a lot of ways to take this bit of material and fill the area, use the comp structure to line up the pieces so they sound right.

Little more info:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/stretcher-cases

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by petedejager on Sat May 15, 2021 9:44 am
Thank you, I've read that article but it relates to tempo and stretching, I specifically do not want to stretch the audio, I simply want to convert a 2 second audio event into a single (continuous) 8 second audio event which starts with the 2 second audio and is followed by 6 seconds of silence so that I can (e.g.) add bend markers or reverb tails which extend beyond the initial 2 second length.

I can't drag the right side of the audio event beyond 2 seconds (because this is the clip length) and dragging it while holding down ALT stretches it, therefore I instead add 6 seconds of silence, merge the 2 second clip and 6 seconds of silence, and then bounce it to another track which gives me the 8 second clip I want - bit of a roundabout way so I was wondering if there's a shortcut. I'm new to Studio One as you can probably tell :)

Studio One 6 Pro (Sphere), Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2950X, 128 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB NVME SSD, NI Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's, NI Komplete Kontrol M32, NI Komplete Audio 2, Melodyne 5 Studio
by Tacman7 on Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm
I was thinking you wanted to add to an event like a guitar note sustain, to make it last longer.

Select your 2 second clip and hit the D key 3 times or however you want to make 3 copies of your 2 second clip.

Select all the copies and lower their volume handle to 0. Then select all 4 and bounce it.

Don't know if that would be any quicker then what you are doing.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by peterbaird on Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 pm
It's an interesting question. Have you worked in another DAW that does this seamlessly?

I'm trying to conceptualize how a DAW would do this action. The history of file-based editing treats the file itself as the basic unit--hence, all of the small pieces of audio we create when editing that file are merely markers that point back to that original file until we bounce a chunk to a new file, creating an actual new physical string of zeros and ones on some kind of memory device.

So the DAW, when you grab the right handle of an event, thinks you want to extend out the original file (including any additional audio that may be living there). If the file actually ends at the right handle, when you grab it and try to move it further to the right the DAW just sits there (unless you've indicated you'd like to stretch it, which is not what you're after).

So to create a new 8-second event out of the original 2-second event, if indeed the underlying original file is 2 seconds, will require a bounce at some point to create the new longer event. If I needed to do this several hundred times, each time to a different 2-second event, I'd probably write a macro that highlights the event, trims the out 6 seconds forward, and performs a bounce. If I just needed to use the resulting event several hundred times, I'd do what was described, perform the bounce, and then hit D until I had as many duplicates as desired.

A good mental exercise, and a little reminder of what we're actually doing when editing.

Peter

MacBook Pro 15,1 2.3GHz
Monterey 12.6.2
Studio One 6.0.2
StudioLive 32R
Faderport 16
ATOM
by ozinga on Mon May 17, 2021 2:25 pm
You could use range tool and command+b

MB PRO 2018 32/1TB Mojave
iMac 2017 64/512 Mojave
UAD Apollo X6 / UAD Apollo 16 / UAD Apollo Twin X
by OneFingerSnap on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm
ozinga wroteYou could use range tool and command+b

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I'm trying to export WAV audio tracks all with the same size (the length of the song), which should be EASY but it's a PITA. This is a nice workaround.

I wish there was some way of exporting audio tracks to WAV files, from the beginning to the end of a song, with choice of including plugins or not. It's very useful if you want to send files to someone else to mix in a different DAW or even if staying in Studio One, sometimes it's nice to start with a clean session and just import the audio.

Studio One 6.5.2.97444 macOS ARM64 (Built on December 13 2023)
MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
UAD Apollo x8p + 2x UAD Satellite TB Octa Core + UAD Apollo Twin Quad Mk II
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by wolfgerb on Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 am
OneFingerSnap wroteI wish there was some way of exporting audio tracks to WAV files, from the beginning to the end of a song, with choice of including plugins or not. It's very useful if you want to send files to someone else to mix in a different DAW or even if staying in Studio One, sometimes it's nice to start with a clean session and just import the audio.

This does what you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYsrcceSVc
Interesting part starts around 5:00
(Only works with audio tracks, convert Instrument track to audio first)

Mac Book Air M2 15",24 GB Ram, 1TB HD, Mac OS 14.4.1; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ
by codamedia on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:24 am
OneFingerSnap wrote

I'm trying to export WAV audio tracks all with the same size (the length of the song), which should be EASY but it's a PITA. This is a nice workaround.

I wish there was some way of exporting audio tracks to WAV files, from the beginning to the end of a song, with choice of including plugins or not. It's very useful if you want to send files to someone else to mix in a different DAW or even if staying in Studio One, sometimes it's nice to start with a clean session and just import the audio.

Watch that video posted in the thread above.... it covers everything you appear to be looking for. It's a great resource, and he provides great reasons "why" you should do things.

Export Stems is your answer... whether it is the full featured window or the short cut Joe provides in the video. The short cut is a quick and easy solution... but don't overlook the power of the export stems window as well.
Last edited by codamedia on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort
by wolfgerb on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:36 am
Export stems doesn't give you the choice of excluding plugins.
Also it renders Volume and Pan-settings and even fx applied via sends and master plugins dependent on whether rendering tracks or channels. Which you may not want when sending tracks to mixing.
So the only way to export the raw tracks with or without plugins is the one shown by Joe in the video I posted.

Mac Book Air M2 15",24 GB Ram, 1TB HD, Mac OS 14.4.1; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ
by OneFingerSnap on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am
wolfgerb wrote
OneFingerSnap wroteI wish there was some way of exporting audio tracks to WAV files, from the beginning to the end of a song, with choice of including plugins or not. It's very useful if you want to send files to someone else to mix in a different DAW or even if staying in Studio One, sometimes it's nice to start with a clean session and just import the audio.

This does what you want:

Thanks Wolfgerb, this video is very useful!

I still wish the process was cleaner, the way Joe does it is like a "hidden" thing. I just wish for a menu that says "Export selected tracks" which would then allow us to bypass inserts, sends, pan and also contain an option to export from the beginning (or from a loop selection) even if it's only silence until further ahead.

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by OneFingerSnap on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:42 am
codamedia wrote
OneFingerSnap wrote

Watch that video posted in the thread above.... it covers everything you appear to be looking for. It's a great resource, and he provides great reasons "why" you should do things.

Export Stems is your answer... whether it is the full featured window or the short cut Joe provides in the video. The short cut is a quick and easy solution... but don't overlook the power of the export stems window as well.

Thanks codamedia! But as Wolfgerb states export stems doesn't allow processing bypass. I just wish to easily export audio tracks (and if it automatically converted MIDI tracks to audio that would be awesome) to a folder, all files the same size (or half if they're mono) to import in another DAW or send to a mixer (most of the ones I know are on Pro Tools).

MacOS Ventura 13.6.5
Mac Studio M2 Max
RAM 64 GB
SSD 4 TB
PreSonus Faderport 8
PreSonus ATOM SQ
PreSonus ATOM
Softube Console 1
by wolfgerb on Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:53 am
OneFingerSnap wrote
wolfgerb wrote

This does what you want:

Thanks Wolfgerb, this video is very useful!

I still wish the process was cleaner, the way Joe does it is like a "hidden" thing. I just wish for a menu that says "Export selected tracks" which would then allow us to bypass inserts, sends, pan and also contain an option to export from the beginning (or from a loop selection) even if it's only silence until further ahead.

Yes, you are right!

13 posts
Page 1 of 1