9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a few Lumbeat drum apps on an iPad and I’m trying, without success, to sync to midi clock output from S1 so that I can record the audio output from the drum apps (iPad phones out) into S1 at the correct tempo.

I’ve connected the iPad to my PC, running Windows 10 pro, with a lightening/USB connector. The PC recognizes that the iPad is connected but I can’t get S1 to see it via the PC directly or via my Focusrite Safire Pro 40 interface.

Anyone successfully managed to send/receive midi info with an iPad to S1 on a PC? If so how please....?

I can set the drum app to a nominal tempo, record the audio output into S1 and then tempo map the recorded track but it would be easier to control the tempo of the drum app via midi clock out from S1 especially as I can then use my custom 4 pedal Bluetooth controller to swap patterns add fills etc on the fly as the track progresses.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Tacman7 on Fri May 14, 2021 5:24 pm
Ok, that lighting thing is the camera connector that you need for midi on ipad.

That USB connection doesn't show up in system midi like usb midi does, does it?

Does that app have the ability to follow midi clock? Is there a sync setting in there?

S1 can't follow midi clock but it can send it out if you have a midi port to send it on.

I saw lot of stuff about how to hook up midi to an ipad, and they show you the camera connector.

You might have to install some driver to make your computer see the camera connector as a midi device.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by IanM5 on Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 pm
I use rtpMIDI to exchange MIDI over WiFi between Windows and iPad. All modern Macs and iPads have network MIDI drivers built in so all you have to do is install and configure rtpMIDI on your PC and you have a virtual MIDI port:

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Tutorial for it is top right of the page.

But also note Tacman's comment that S1 cannot receive MIDI clock, only send it, so s1 always has to be the timing master. I was really surprised to find that S1 cannot slave to other stuff!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Tacman7 on Sat May 15, 2021 6:35 am
New for version 5 is S1 can be a slave now!

Only for equipment I don't own. Midi clock is not stable enough for S1 to clock to I guess.

MTC MMC only.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Steve Carter on Sat May 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Thanks guys - the rpt software worked but had to install the Apple Bonjour software also.

There’s a noticeable delay in the start/stop signal being sent to the iPad but the midi clock is being followed by the iPad software, whilst S1 is recording the midi note info being sent from the iPad.

Thanks again, keep safe....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by IanM5 on Sun May 16, 2021 12:00 am
Steve Carter wroteThanks guys - the rpt software worked but had to install the Apple Bonjour software also.

There’s a noticeable delay in the start/stop signal being sent to the iPad but the midi clock is being followed by the iPad software, whilst S1 is recording the midi note info being sent from the iPad.

Thanks again, keep safe....

Excellent :thumbup:

I've exchanged MIDI data between PC and iPad three different ways:
    - rtpMIDI is the method I've stuck with.
    - Bluetooth worked but was hugely laggy and is not supported by some applications.
    - Physically connecting a hardware class-compliant MIDI interface to the iPad via the lightning connector. This worked well but was messy with boxes, adapters and cables. However, this one is probably the most reliable. You can't beat cables!

I've not noticed a start/stop delay with my rtpMIDI setup. Are you talking seconds or milliseconds?

by Steve Carter on Sun May 16, 2021 4:10 pm
“Are you talking seconds or milliseconds?”

It can vary, I would say less than a second but not instantaneous!

I’ve been dabbling today and have found the network connection via rtp to be too inconsistent to be useable. I don’t know if this is down to the drum app on the iPad or an inevitable consequence of the network connection rather than a direct cable link, but as well as a delay in start/stop from S1’s midi clock, the drum app is also not syncing accurately with the song tempo and drifts off of the beat!

Interested in the ‘class compliant midi interface’ idea but can’t immediately get my head around what that might be. Is this a separate piece of hardware to my audio interface, which doesn’t have a USB connection, or an iPad add-on? I have no aversion to using cables if it can improve the timing issues but wouldn’t want to spend too much money for the very occasional use I would put it to - if Toontrack had made a better effort with their Reggae drum midi patterns (reggae being an anathema to the Toontrack rock ethos it would seem) I wouldn’t be doing this at all!

Thanks again...

by IanM5 on Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 am
Obviously very difficult to diagnose from here but I suspect the delay and timing issues are in your WiFi somewhere. WiFi is not known for its stability and timeliness! I was genuinely surprised to find that rtpMIDI worked so well over WiFi on my system but it's more luck than any expert configuration on my part.

As for the cable approach it depends what you mean by "too much money". The only MIDI interface I connected was my main Focusrite audio/MIDI interface, which is overkill if you just want MIDI. You need a "lightning camera kit" to convert the iPad socket to a normal USB. The official one is about £40 and there are unofficial ones at about half that. I can't recommend a specific midi adapter. Some of the iRig ones are specifically for the iPad and come with a lightning cable at about £80. At the cheaper but riskier end there are loads of USB to MIDI cables around at about £15. Anything that says it does not need a driver should work but the only way to be sure is to try it. Worth mentioning that the lightning connector is also useful for connecting other stuff but also that it will probably be made obsolete in the next gen iPads, because... Apple.

I wasn't aware of Lumbeat. Interesting that they do a specific reggae version because, as you say, reggae is not exactly the most common genre in the world of DAWs.

by Steve Carter on Mon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Thanks again - I’ll keep searching for a more stable midi connection between S1 and the iPad.

As I said before it could be the Lumbeat drum app. As a stand-alone drum app it’s quite a mixed bag, it has some great features particularly the fill-ins, which although random are really quite useable, however the actual drum samples are not the greatest and the app’s communication with the outside world, in terms of a user manual, midi implementation and GUI feedback, is lacking.

That aside, I made a 4 pedal Bluetooth foot controller and as a practice/rehearsal drum machine it’s more than adequate (better than most dedicated drum machines) it’s just a pity that the app falls down on a few features that could make it a great asset for more serious musicians but at $25 a pop for the different drum genres they’re reasonable value.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1