12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

I can't find out how and why my secondary mouse tool keeps on changing to the (apparently default) 'Eraser Tool'. I hardly use the eraser and would love to have the secondary tool to be the split tool. For some reason it keeps changing back automatically. I can't find out when exactly, it seems to be sometimes it is a few hours. Obviously I can set it back but, but it will just auto switch back to the Eraser and I have to change it again.

Is there a shortcut that I am missing? Any setting?

Thanks
by kisnou on Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 am
anonymouspanda wroteHi there,

I can't find out how and why my secondary mouse tool keeps on changing to the (apparently default) 'Eraser Tool'. I hardly use the eraser and would love to have the secondary tool to be the split tool. For some reason it keeps changing back automatically. I can't find out when exactly, it seems to be sometimes it is a few hours. Obviously I can set it back but, but it will just auto switch back to the Eraser and I have to change it again.

Thanks

The tools are switched with numbers from 1 to 8. So, just guessing:
- You might have created a wrong macro/key combination that maybe triggers the tool as well. If you have a multibutton mouse or modified your shortcuts, you may take a look at that. Try and see if it happens after a particular action or key press.
- If you want your secondary tool to be the split (the one that shows up when you hold CTRL) , then make sure to save your template like that, otherwise each new song will set it back to default.
- When using the Paint Tool, if you hover over a midi note it will always automatically (and temporarily) switch to the eraser.
- It might be a bug, try uninstalling and reinstalling as your last resource, or if you feel like going around in circles.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by anonymouspanda on Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 am
kisnou wrote
anonymouspanda wroteHi there,

Thanks

The tools are switched with numbers from 1 to 8. So, just guessing:
- You might have created a wrong macro/key combination that maybe triggers the tool as well. If you have a multibutton mouse or modified your shortcuts, you may take a look at that. Try and see if it happens after a particular action or key press.
- If you want your secondary tool to be the split (the one that shows up when you hold CTRL) , then make sure to save your template like that, otherwise each new song will set it back to default.
- When using the Paint Tool, if you hover over a midi note it will always automatically (and temporarily) switch to the eraser.
- It might be a bug, try uninstalling and reinstalling as your last resource, or if you feel like going around in circles.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
- I know they are switched by the numbers, switching by keys works fine and secondary stays the same, just tried. I am only using one extra macro that has no number key presses in it. There is no shortcut to change the secondary am I right?
- good one about the template, just checked, but it is with split as default

It might be a bug indeed... will try to see when / what I did when it is switched back. Thanks again!
by Tacman7 on Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 am
I think when you have that tool and point it at a note...

You don't want to draw a note where there already is a note so the only possible command is delete, if you point it to a blank space it will draw a note?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by StuBabe on Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm
I sometimes have the same problem, sort of. I often will have 2 or more tracks open in the editor. Only one will be active for editing. If I want to enter a note of the same pitch that appears in one of the other tracks, it changes to the eraser. I have to enter the note on a pitch that doesn't exist and move it to the pitch I want.

Mac Studio Ultra
128 GB Ram
Ventura 13.2
Studio One v6
by anonymouspanda on Mon May 10, 2021 3:40 pm
Tacman7 wroteI think when you have that tool and point it at a note...

You don't want to draw a note where there already is a note so the only possible command is delete, if you point it to a blank space it will draw a note?

Sorry, I should have clarified, this happens in the playlist/sequencer, not in the editor writing notes (could be happening there as well, but I haven't really noticed).

I was hoping maybe there is a shortcut I didn't know of that I am pressing accidentally which causes the switch of the secondary tool, but seems like there is none.
by Tacman7 on Mon May 10, 2021 5:39 pm
If you select the eraser tool as your alternate tool then it will turn into an eraser when you hold the control key down.

Is that what's happening? If you click the little triangle at the bottom right of the arrow tool you can change which tool is your alternate.

Read about the alternate tool select in here:

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/E ... ive%20tool

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by anonymouspanda on Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 am
Tacman7 wroteIf you select the eraser tool as your alternate tool then it will turn into an eraser when you hold the control key down.

Is that what's happening? If you click the little triangle at the bottom right of the arrow tool you can change which tool is your alternate.

Read about the alternate tool select in here:

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/E ... ive%20tool

No sorry that is not what is happening. Let me clarify:

I change the 'alternate tool' to be the split tool. So pressing ctrl will change it to the split tool. Then after some time it will change back automatically to the 'default' eraser tool. As you can imagine, I have to change it back myself again. This happens multiple times in every project and I can not figure out how / why it is possible, hence I asked if there was a shortcut or a way this could be accidentally happening :)
by robertgray3 on Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am
Check what your shortcut is for Tool 4 (or whichever the eraser is).

Also check what your shortcut is for Tool 1, as in the default key shortcuts “1” will cycle you to the next tool. From the splitter, that’s the Eraser.

If all the shortcuts are as expected, I would make check any custom keyboard actions or customizable mouse buttons and make sure they’re not firing off numbers that would trigger a tool switch.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by anonymouspanda on Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am
robertgray3 wroteCheck what your shortcut is for Tool 4 (or whichever the eraser is).

Also check what your shortcut is for Tool 1, as in the default key shortcuts “1” will cycle you to the next tool. From the splitter, that’s the Eraser.

If all the shortcuts are as expected, I would make check any custom keyboard actions or customizable mouse buttons and make sure they’re not firing off numbers that would trigger a tool switch.

Thanks Robert, I now see that pressing 1 will cycle the secondary mouse tool, exactly what I was looking for. I guess I am sometimes accidentally pressing it while working as I have ~ mapped as a shortcut. Couldn't find any shortcut for it but now I do :) Cheers!
by klypeman on Fri May 14, 2021 3:13 am
In my stock setup a double click erase the note too. That can easily happen when I am little too fast.

Forum Moderator.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by mikefox4 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:52 am
This was driving me nuts, but I finally figured it out.

I had gotten into the habit of switching between the arrow tool and the split tool by hitting "3" for the split tool and "v" for the arrow tool. Which is fine, but using Control/Command to temporarily switch to the split tool is a more efficient method.

But, as I just discovered, (on my system anyway), pressing V not only switches back to the arrow tool, but also simultaneously advances to the next alternate tool, (in this case, the eraser tool.)

The issue would arise when I would vary my approach, using Control/Command for the alternate tool sometimes and switching between V and 3 at others. No bueno.

So, I just need to stick to one method consistently, and it should work the way I'm expecting it to. (i.e. Don't press the V key, use Control/Command instead.)

12 posts
Page 1 of 1