29 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I'm trying to record a vst instrument (piano) with a kind of random granular effect that I'm really 'playing off' with the take, so want to record the midi I'm playing and the effected audio output from the track to another audio track at the same time. I can't work out how to do it. If I route the output from the instrument track to an audio track it will only enable record on one of them, not both. Is there another way to do it via the console? Or Pipeline?
by Tacman7 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:44 am
How does it sound if you just record the midi then bounce the track?

You could record the midi then play it back solo with a loopback input if your interface has that.

If it really had to be done like you want I would set up a small loopback input, and send the audio from the midi track to it.

Then it would come in and get recorded. You have to have an extra pair of outputs and inputs to do that. Working with loopback inputs you want to be careful and not monitor any incoming signal from a loopback.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 am
Hmm, if the VST has a randomized element in it they you’ll never be able to exactly recreate the output from the Midi recording alone. Isn’t there a setting where VST output is recorded (on an audio track) whilst it’s created?
by Steve Carter on Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm
What keyboard are you using, does it have a usb and midi output?

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 05, 2021 5:53 pm
Bus the output of the instrument (Send). Then create a new audio track. The input of that audio track will receive the newly bussed track. That is its audio path. When you now create (record) the instrument track, youll have both tracks recording. Remember to arm both the new audio track, and the instrument that will be sounding MIDI.

I have a pitch to midi guitar instrument plugin that works this way. So playing an instrument while recording is just a matter of adding a bus, and arming both audio and MIDI tracks with the right assigned inputs.

It also can be accomplished via Rewire, but since Rewire isn't the original part of the question, I'll leave that one as another possibility.

Sorry for my misspell. I'm coming to the realization I need reading glasses.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 pm
That works!

I don't remember being able to route from a bus to a track but there's a lot of input options now.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by LBH on Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 pm
Hi,

Is it no longer possible to just:
1. Add the VST on a instrument track
2. Add a audio track and select Instrument/ VST as input for that track in the input selector
3. Arm both tracks when recording.
?

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by Tacman7 on Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 pm
LBH wroteIs it no longer possible to just:
2. Add a audio track and select Instrument/ VST as input for that track in the input selector

I don't think that was ever possible in Studio One.

The method Lokeyfly suggested is add a send to your instrument track to a new bus.

Next create an audio track and set the input to that bus.

Forum Moderator.

by Jemusic on Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 pm
What version of Studio One are you running? Some specs would be helpful.

Certainly in V5.2.1 you just create the Instrument track and insert the VST instrument. Then add a stereo audio track, a folder appears titled Instruments in the Inputs window This will have the output of the virtual instrument as an input source to the audio track. Select it. You may want to fade down the audio channel's fader to prevent the monitoring output level going up.

Put both tracks into record. Midi and audio will be both recorded at the same time. If the virtual instrument performs differently each time with the same midi data going in, then obviously different results can be captured on multiple audio tracks or multiple takes/layers on a single audio track.

Every virtual instrument you insert will become available as input source to any audio track. An older version of Studio One might require the virtual instrument being sent to a bus and then bus will be available as an input source.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 am
Exactly as Jemusic mentions. If we're talking S1 v5.2 (I skipped over 5.0), then there are more selections at the audio track input to select an Instrument outright. Tacman7 also noted increased input selections now. Very true.

You might still opt for the bus option if you would like more than one instrument bussed, (such as adding that granular effect the OP mentions) or the input isn't showing up on the audio track. The good thing is its now even easier to access more choices!

Yeah very cool. I noticed the instant instrument inputs, recently sampling within Sample One, both at track level, and even sampling right from Sample One's own input on its front panel! This makes accessing and routing instruments so much more effortless now. This was yet even another example of recording MIDI and audio at the same time, so more and more possibilities are coming up roses.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 am
Ya lot more changes than I thought!

Didn't notice that you can get input from the instruments now.

School of hard knocks!

Forum Moderator.

by LBH on Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm
LBH wroteHi,

?

So this is still possible in Studio One 5 like it is possible in my Studio One 2 and 3. Good.

by Lokeyfly on Thu May 06, 2021 6:10 pm
Tacman7 wroteYa lot more changes than I thought!

Didn't notice that you can get input from the instruments now.

School of hard knocks!

I'll send you a nifty short video on that being done in Sample One. That way I don't alterl any discussion here.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by tomdewolf on Fri May 21, 2021 7:51 am
LBH wrote
LBH wroteHi,

?

So this is still possible in Studio One 5 like it is possible in my Studio One 2 and 3. Good.

Hello,

With Instrument selected as input, the record button on that audio track is greyed out, thus unable to record. Any insight much appreciated - Thanks.
(On Studio One 5.2.1.64495 macOS x64)

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 15.49.25.png

----------------------------------
Presonus Sphere Membership
Mac OS 10.14.6
Macbook Pro 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
by LBH on Fri May 21, 2021 10:45 am
Hi tomdewolf,

It works on my system. Also with Mai Tai.

Have you somehow disabled the audio track?
Try the right click over the track and look for a Enable Track in the pop up menu. (On Windows it's right click.)

by Jemusic on Fri May 21, 2021 2:35 pm
On the Audio Track the record and monitor buttons are blacked out or not working. This is because no input has been selected. So on the arrange page grab the lower boundary of the audio track header and drag it down a little more to expose the Inputs section. Here you need to select the input source. (Assuming you have all your Audio IN/OUT settings setup correctly of course)

In your case the output of MaiTai should be in the list of available input sources so select that here.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by aduki on Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm
I've just created a thread about exactly this in the FAQ section so apologies, I did'nt see this one.

But I'm with tomdewolf- it's not possible for me to arm both the instrument and the audio simultaneously too.
And also the bus solution doesn't actually record the audio even though that version does allow arming of both tracks.
by LBH on Fri May 21, 2021 4:39 pm
tomdewolf and aduki -

Are you using "Low latency monitoring for instruments"? (EDIT I see a z in tomdewolfs image. EDIT END) It look like this is another issue that the Dropout Protection introduce. I get the issue, when i turn this feature on. I would turn it fully off, if it was possible. My setting is Uncheck " Enable low latency monitoring for instruments" and after that set Dropout Protection to "Minimum". This is the closest to off.
The Dropout Protection cause timing issues.

I can't tell if a green z functionality can help, if you have this possibility. I have'nt.
Last edited by LBH on Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by aduki on Fri May 21, 2021 4:52 pm
Hey LBH thanks for this. Not at my S1 now but will definitely try this...
by tomdewolf on Sat May 22, 2021 3:58 am
LBH wrotetomdewolf and aduki -

Are you using "Low latency monitoring for instruments"? (EDIT I see a z in tomdewolfs image. EDIT END) It look like this is another issue that the Dropout Protection introduce. I get the issue, when i turn this feature on. I would turn it fully off, if it was possible. My setting is Uncheck " Enable low latency monitoring for instruments" and after that set Dropout Protection to "Minimum". This is the closest to off.
The Dropout Protection cause timing issues.

I can't tell if a green z functionality can help, if you have this possibility. I have'nt.

Thanks, LBH: unchecking "Enable low latency monitoring for instruments' solved the problem for me. Also the buss solution that didn't work for aduki and me, works fine now here. It would be nice if I could understand the underlying issue. Anyhow: much appreciated!

----------------------------------
Presonus Sphere Membership
Mac OS 10.14.6
Macbook Pro 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

29 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2