11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm recording my band's next release on a Sweetwater designed music PC using Studio One 5. I then send the tracks to a recording pro we trust who works a lot of magic to them and will ultimately mix the whole project. He works exclusively in Logic Pro on a Mac It's a labor of love for this this guy and I really want to make it as easy on him as possible. I just learned his workload would be cut to a small fraction if the tracks he receives from me are in Logic Pro format.

Is it possible to output tracks from Studio One Pro 5.0 to a format compatible with Logic Pro???

Much obliged.
by Jemusic on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 pm
You have got a couple of options. Save in AAF format. Logic is also AAF compatible. So it should be able to import an AAF file.

Or Simply export all the tracks with no effects as standard wave files all the same length as well. Then he can just drag them all into Logic in one hit and go from there. (To be honest this is really the best approach)

One tip though. Any tracks you know for sure you don't want in the mix, you should leave them out maybe of the export. It will avoid him mixing them into the final mix not knowing that they were not needed. I have recently been caught out with this.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyolson on Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am
Thanks a million for that reply.

I've been operating under option two. Turn off all effects, all faders to 0dB, "Start" marker pulled back to 00:00:00, and export all tracks to individual wav files.

Btw, he actually wants everything sent to him because 1. he likes to use discarded tracks to do crazy things in the background (he's particularly brilliant with that), and 2. he wants to be the one to decide what isn't useable, which is understandable as this is our 1st project working with each other like this. Our 1st release was pre-covid and I was just playing drums.

Thanks again!!!
by IanM5 on Sat May 01, 2021 1:34 pm
AAF will transfer a collection of audio tracks but not your MIDI Tracks or plugins so it's not much better than sending stems or bounced tracks. Can't you just send him your extra "unwanted" tracks in the same way? Usually someone who is mixing for others will just want audio anyway (raw and without effects) and he can always ask you to tweak the audio if he finds something is not sitting correctly.

You haven't really got any other options unless one or other of you buy and install the other DAW (and, in your case, buys a Mac!) I guess you could buy him a month of Sphere but then he won't be working in Logic.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Jemusic on Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm
Unwanted tracks can be useful for sure as long you are clear as to which ones they are. If there are midi tracks they can also be exported and included in the set of audio tracks you may send him too. I get the impression form your OP maybe there were not any midi tracks involved.

Raw audio tracks with no effects is a very good way to go though.

Something else that might help him too is making sure the rms levels of the tracks is consistent too. Apart from the percussive tracks you could run a VU meter over the other tracks one by one and check their rms (VU) levels. Decide on a calibration level eg -18 dB FS = 0 dB VU. Tracks that are a little lower could be brought up and then do a CtrL B (Command B) on them before exporting. Louder tracks are easier to handle. You may want to check with him on that. A good mix engineer is going to level the tracks usually anyway and it could save time.

If you played to a click, the tempo information is very useful and will save time for him as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyolson on Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 pm
IanM5 wroteAAF will transfer a collection of audio tracks but not your MIDI Tracks or plugins so it's not much better than sending stems or bounced tracks. Can't you just send him your extra "unwanted" tracks in the same way? Usually someone who is mixing for others will just want audio anyway (raw and without effects) and he can always ask you to tweak the audio if he finds something is not sitting correctly.

You haven't really got any other options unless one or other of you buy and install the other DAW (and, in your case, buys a Mac!) I guess you could buy him a month of Sphere but then he won't be working in Logic.

I make three comps from what I believe are the best takes and send him "best", "2nd best", and "3rd best"; and send all takes including the rejects in a separate folder called "all takes". No midi, at least at this point. It's been working. I was just hoping to make the poor guy's job less time consuming.

Thanks!
by garyolson on Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 am
Jemusic wroteUnwanted tracks can be useful for sure as long you are clear as to which ones they are. If there are midi tracks they can also be exported and included in the set of audio tracks you may send him too. I get the impression form your OP maybe there were not any midi tracks involved.

Raw audio tracks with no effects is a very good way to go though.

Something else that might help him too is making sure the rms levels of the tracks is consistent too. Apart from the percussive tracks you could run a VU meter over the other tracks one by one and check their rms (VU) levels. Decide on a calibration level eg -18 dB FS = 0 dB VU. Tracks that are a little lower could be brought up and then do a CtrL B (Command B) on them before exporting. Louder tracks are easier to handle. You may want to check with him on that. A good mix engineer is going to level the tracks usually anyway and it could save time.

If you played to a click, the tempo information is very useful and will save time for him as well.

I've never been comfortable changing levels before exporting. My thought is, why make changes that he probably won't be able to undo when 1. he's better at discerning when & how changes should be made, 2. he can do the same changes on his end, and 3. some or all of the changes I'd make would, in his eyes, either be unnecessary or downright destructive?

Otoh, I'd love to to know exactly how to get the levels right every time before sending them off to him. If you're so inclined, please feel free to point me in the right direction to the best method in Studio One. H says he prefers all tracks peak around -7dB.

Thanks!!!
by IanM5 on Tue May 04, 2021 12:19 am
It might be worth an experiment with AAF export/import. I don't know how well it would work but it should at least save him having to drag and drop the wav files into a new project. The only other easy timesaver I can think of is something you probably already do - supplying consistent and sensible filenames plus a few notes about how you arrived at your rough mixes.

If this chap is going to be regularly mixing your songs for free, and if you are pleased with the results, then you and your band should probably give some consideration to clubbing together to buy a Mac and Logic Pro so you can supply him with his preferred format. This is not cheap but it's an investment in the band and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying a pro to mix your tracks regularly. You can always sell the Mac later (although I suspect you would want to keep it!)

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by garyolson on Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 am
IanM5 wroteIt might be worth an experiment with AAF export/import. I don't know how well it would work but it should at least save him having to drag and drop the wav files into a new project. The only other easy timesaver I can think of is something you probably already do - supplying consistent and sensible filenames plus a few notes about how you arrived at your rough mixes.

If this chap is going to be regularly mixing your songs for free, and if you are pleased with the results, then you and your band should probably give some consideration to clubbing together to buy a Mac and Logic Pro so you can supply him with his preferred format. This is not cheap but it's an investment in the band and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying a pro to mix your tracks regularly. You can always sell the Mac later (although I suspect you would want to keep it!)

Great advice!!!
by garyolson on Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 am
IanM5 wroteIt might be worth an experiment with AAF export/import. I don't know how well it would work but it should at least save him having to drag and drop the wav files into a new project. The only other easy timesaver I can think of is something you probably already do - supplying consistent and sensible filenames plus a few notes about how you arrived at your rough mixes.

btw, we are paying him, but less than his usual and customary fee, and we'll happily kick in a lot more if we end up making money from the release.
by Jemusic on Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 am
Changing levels probably not a good idea after all. It requires skill to get rms levels set a calibration level while not altering anything else and maintaining integrity of the original file.

Good and clear track naming is a very good idea. That will save lots of time. The mix engineer wont have to audition and re-label everything.

Not sure about buying computers and software though. Not really necessary. Mix engineers already expect wave files exported from any DAW. Just good old raw wave files (unprocessed) well named and all the same length is still a very solid approach. If any music was played to a click, then tempo info should also be included.

I have mixed many projects coming from Logic and it was always a breeze to setup and get going in Studio One. I am sure it is just as smooth going the other way.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1