12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a project with about 1 million tracks (ok, 219) that need to be mastered. It's a collection of snippets, not an artistic project. As often, budget is limited, so for mastering I am looking for a way to automatically level-match all tracks.

Is there any way to do this in Studio One? A bunch of years ago I used FooBar for a similar project, but it would be neat if that could be done in Studio One. Any suggestions?

Studio One 5 Pro (latest version)
Win 10 i5-9600K 32GB RAM 1 TB SSD
by Tacman7 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:55 am
The mastering section of S1 is where you take a mixed down two track and apply mastering techniques to the file(s). Usually each one of those would be a song and you'd master an album.

So you'd need to work in a song and bring in all the bits and pieces and put them on tracks and mix them down.

Compressors would be the thing to put in the inserts of the tracks. Closest thing to automatic volume control. Also compressors on any sub bus's and the master, compressor everywhere. Also individual audio events can be raised and lowered by dragging the handle top center.

Then you could take that mix into the mastering section for further processing.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by pr0phet on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 am
Added a signature.

I am a professional musician, so no need to tell me about how mastering works or where to use compressors ;) And no, compressors will not solve this problem (and apart from that: I don't think you should necessarily use compressors in mastering, and certainly not everywhere).

As said above, the question is if Studio One can do automatic level matching, e.g. based on LUFs.

Studio One 5 Pro (latest version)
Win 10 i5-9600K 32GB RAM 1 TB SSD
by Tacman7 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 am
Ya, I was just touching all the bases with the supplied info.

Main thing I was getting at is you start in song then move to project with two track for mastering.

Maybe they need to change the name of project to mastering suite because most new to S1 call a song a project.

I have to use a compressor or leveling preamp thing or something to raise the gain when I can't hear something.

Maybe what you want is the normalize command? Might do part of what you want...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 pm
A VU meter is the best way to do it and manually as well. If you are going to normalise make sure you choose rms normalisation, not peak.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by christianseger on Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 am
Are these all audio tracks? All instrument (midi) tracks? Mix of both?

If it's all audio, you can select every audio event in the song and normalize to zero. It will match all your peaks.

Not sure how to do this if it's a mix of audio and virtual other than printing all the virtual tracks and then normalizing.
by christianseger on Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 am
Are these all audio tracks? All instrument (midi) tracks? Mix of both?

If it's all audio, you can select every audio event in the song and normalize to zero. It will match all your peaks.

Not sure how to do this if it's a mix of audio and virtual other than printing all the virtual tracks and then normalizing
by razorwit on Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 am
Hi pr0phet,
I don't know of any tool in S1 that will do what you're looking for in an automated fashion (but I'd be happy to be uninformed :) )

I think RX8 is probably your best bet here. Batch Processing + Loudness Control will get you what you're looking for....at least that's what I use when I'm doing that stuff. Heck, if it's a bunch of fairly small files and you're looking for something simple like "everything needs to be -14 Integrated LKFS" shoot me a DM and I'll see if I can find some time in the next day or two to just do it for you.

Dean

Dean Winter
Windows 10, RME HDSPe MADI fx -> Lynx Aurora and Antelope Orion,
Mics, compressors, guitars and stuff.
by SwitchBack on Sun May 09, 2021 9:19 am
Unless you know what it takes to make tracks louder in mixing and mastering there’s a good chance that you have unrealistic expectations regarding “automatic level matching”.

The inexperienced tend to compare their recordings to commercial tracks and want them just as loud. To achieve that you best turn the commercial track down. Simply turning your own tracks up will most likely cause them to clip.
by sirmonkey on Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm
Youlean loudness meter might be handy for you. There are free and paid versions, but
even the free one is great. It has all of the different units that are commonly used, and
provides graphs.
I'm not even going to describe all that it does- the website will explain it better:
http://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by jBranam on Tue May 11, 2021 7:24 am
are you wanting 'level' matching or 'normalizing'? it sounds like you want to normalize all levels of your tracks but your title states level matching which is not exactly the same thing. for 'normalizing' audio if need be before mixing (or mastering) i just use the batch convertor addon for S1. it allows for a lot to be done and can insert plugins. as for 'level matching' which to me is akin to 'gain matching' there is a pretty handy plugin i ran across called GainMatch https://letimix.com/products/gainmatch which is quite helpful when i A/B things like compressors so you can actually tell what is being done and avoids the 'louder is better' syndrome we all suffer from.

cheers

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Vocalpoint on Tue May 11, 2021 10:58 am
pr0phet wroteAs said above, the question is if Studio One can do automatic level matching, e.g. based on LUFs.

This is totally possible with Wavelab OR iZotope RX - easy to take a group of files and "alter" them to meet a specific LUFS level - but in S1 - not so much.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM

12 posts
Page 1 of 1