34 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I'm puzzled about the "Rename" option in S1 5.
In my workflow, I open a new song from template, not changing the default title, and start recording a few tracks, quickly saving (ctrl-S) between takes. While still in the session, If I come up with a new title for my song, I hit "File/Rename", type in a new title, but when I hit OK, I get a "Could not rename the folder C:\.....a file in the folder is in use" error.
This used to work fine in 4.5 so I'm wondering if this is software or system related.
If I close the song and re-open it, then "Rename" works, but I used to be able to do this while still in the session, after it was saved once.

Can you guys please confirm if you get the same behaviour?

Thanks!

Studio One 5.5.2 Professional
Asus ROG Z690, Intel i9-12900K, 32Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro
RME Babyface Pro, Faderport V2, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LP/Dean Caddy/P-Bass/Taylor 214ce
by Jemusic on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:33 pm
You can rename a song while its open. I just checked it and it worked fine. (In your case was the folder or anything in it in use by another app maybe)

There are other ways too. You can do is a SAVE AS and give it a new name then while the song is open. You will end up with two songs, the original and the newly named one.

You can rename a song when its not open as well. Just go into the song folder and rename it there. It will then open under its new name.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by kisnou on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 am
I was also pretty confused by that, it happened to me too that I couldn't rename the song. Usually I just save, close and re-open the project. As soon as the project loads, you can execute that rename command and it works. I'm not sure what is causing that issue though and it would be nice if we could find a fix to directly rename the track without doing those steps.

Also I would have loved if that rename command could rename the folder as well, but it just renames the project file and I often have to manually rename the folder too.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Tacman7 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am
kisnou wroteAlso I would have loved if that rename command could rename the folder as well, but it just renames the project file and I often have to manually rename the folder too.

That's true of renaming the file using windows explorer or the like. The file/rename command changes the folder also.

Save as is a trap!

You want to avoid having more than one song in a folder. I did that long time ago, just keep saving variants of the song with save as and I have a bunch of songs in the same folder sharing the same audio folder. So eventually you delete something you need in a different song etc.
Bedlam and chaos soon ensued.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by kisnou on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 am
Tacman7 wrote
kisnou wrote The file/rename command changes the folder also.

Weird, to me it just renames the song file :?:

https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Tacman7 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:59 am
Yeah I was thinking that it renamed the folder but it's been a long time so I tried it last night.

That's the way I remember it working. I just use the default naming and it has my name on the file so as a test I removed my name when I renamed the song with the rename command.

RenameFolder.jpg

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by mycbeats on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:01 am
This happens for me from time to time.
I think it has to do with the cache being active, for example if you have any track armed record, either the audio pre-record or retrospective recording could be active and therefore locking a file in the cache.

What usually clears it up is closing the song, reopening it and immediately using file>rename.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by IanM5 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 am
I got into a mess with rename once so I will never use it again. I just stick with the working title of the song and manually rename the final WAV/MP3 to suit whatever the final name is.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by patricemazmanian on Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:50 am
In most cases, I do 'Ctrl' + 'S' before renaming the song and it works.
Otherwise, quit SO, reload the song and rename ....

In any case, the song and the folder are renamed.

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by jBranam on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 am
yeah i have noticed over the years that S1 will always rename the .song file but a grab bag if it renames the actual folder everything is in. sometimes it does... sometimes it doesn't. if you don't specify folder name during creation... a lot of the times i just leave the default 'name' with date stamp... when creating i never think about a 'name' until it comes to me during creations. lol

i have been thinking it will change the folder name when you first open BEFORE it saves a 'history' file. i just deal with it and sometimes have to go through folders to find the song lol... and then i just rename the folder name in explorer and next time just open 'existing' to reset all locations once the folder name has changed.
Last edited by jBranam on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by kisnou on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:18 am
patricemazmanian wroteIn most cases, I do 'Ctrl' + 'S' before renaming the song and it works.
Otherwise, quit SO, reload the song and rename ....

In any case, the song and the folder are renamed.

I can confirm that the folder is not renamed on my end, maybe it's a bug?

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by slylarock on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:39 am
If you open a new song from a template and hit "rename" right away, it works no problem. Now open a new song the same way, but add an audio track and record a few bars, then save and rename...does not work.
I should say it does not work "anymore", because it used to in 4.5 as I used this feature all the time.
Wondering why all of a sudden, S1 sees a new added audio track as an open file and that prevents renaming the song.

Studio One 5.5.2 Professional
Asus ROG Z690, Intel i9-12900K, 32Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro
RME Babyface Pro, Faderport V2, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LP/Dean Caddy/P-Bass/Taylor 214ce
by frank.crow on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm
Tacman7 wrote
kisnou wroteAlso I would have loved if that rename command could rename the folder as well, but it just renames the project file and I often have to manually rename the folder too.

That's true of renaming the file using windows explorer or the like. The file/rename command changes the folder also.

Save as is a trap!

You want to avoid having more than one song in a folder. I did that long time ago, just keep saving variants of the song with save as and I have a bunch of songs in the same folder sharing the same audio folder. So eventually you delete something you need in a different song etc.
Bedlam and chaos soon ensued.

This is my issue as well. I can rename the song but not the folder. Older versions of Studio One would maintain the 1:1?relationship between song and folder but somewhere along the way an update destroyed that.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by robertgray3 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:05 pm
I just took a song from a few months ago with a few versions in its folder and used the Rename command in S1. It renamed the song file and the folder. If you’re having an issue with that, there must be some precondition that I’m missing as it works here.

Tacman7 wroteYou want to avoid having more than one song in a folder.

Why? I do this all the time. Just make sure that if/when you use the action “Delete Unused Files” you make sure not to select “Delete Permanently.”

It’s not chaotic at all, works great.

I suppose if you’re going to click OK on any dialog box that pops up then sure, maybe avoid it, but there are a lot of other things you’ll need to avoid in that case as well.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:49 pm
slylarock wroteIf you open a new song from a template and hit "rename" right away, it works no problem. Now open a new song the same way, but add an audio track and record a few bars, then save and rename...does not work.
I should say it does not work "anymore", because it used to in 4.5 as I used this feature all the time.
Wondering why all of a sudden, S1 sees a new added audio track as an open file and that prevents renaming the song.

I agree. It's been that way for a while. Version 4.x for me as well. As you say, once you save an audio file, Studio One loses the ability to rename the folder. It's at some point near and around the first audio rename, but at times occurs after a few audio saves, so I can't put my finger exactly when. Sure as shootin', I know that when I save audio, it's going to rear it's ugly head and the folder won't rename, leaving only the song renamed.

I have a new computer, and it's doing the same, so it's not a localized. Issue.

If it helps, you can always save the song to a new folder which will take all used files with them to the new folder you've created.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by kisnou on Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:37 am
I opened a support ticket. It's been 4 days and I haven't got a reply yet, so if you guys can also open a ticket to let them know about this issue, that would be awesome.

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Lokeyfly on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 am
kisnou wroteI opened a support ticket. It's been 4 days and I haven't got a reply yet, so if you guys can also open a ticket to let them know about this issue, that would be awesome.

I'm copying Kisnous' above request for visibility.

Here's a Feature Request. Unfortunately it gained little traction probably from other fragmented or mixed requests. https://answers.presonus.com/4981/make-that-renaming-song-always-renames-folder-unpredictable
It's pretty unfortunate to lose sight of folder rename after one or a few occurrences when audio is saved. Song will always rename, but not always the folder as has been described by many in this post. Occuring (or re occuring) since 2016!!!
Yes, its a pain to have to re sign in, but please take a moment and vote for this peeps. Thank you! (and.....best).
James

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:16 am
I don't know Robert...

I got into a giant mess that way.

I would want to delete things but I would remember that I can't delete this one cause it's used in a previous save as.

Chaos soon ensued.

I got into using versions, they can be pretty cool, mistakes can still be made but like the arranger track it's ok after you get the hang of it.

Maybe a few save as...if you keep a tight ship.

But not SOP for me.

Forum Moderator.

by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:00 am
Is this maybe a Windows vs Mac thing? Either that or you all are doing something I’m not. I just renamed a handful of songs where audio was recorded and it renamed the folder too. These are not new songs either.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 am
robertgray3 wroteIs this maybe a Windows vs Mac thing? Either that or you all are doing something I’m not. I just renamed a handful of songs where audio was recorded and it renamed the folder too. These are not new songs either.

It might be along such lines. Not sure. frank.crow has experienced this and he's using a Mac Mini (late 2014), but it's worth watching for. I haven't observed all platforms, dates, or versions, but it's a good question. Let's eye that going forward.

The one date that I pulled up in the FR was from 2016 which I at least thought may be helpful.

I also believe we are all hands on deck about renaming within Studio One, and not via Windows or Mac OS. Anyone mentioning name changing in the OS is outside the issue.

Just in passing, and clarification to the thread. Anyone recommending the save to new folder is a work around, and it's been mine as well (For years). However, that process is useful when collecting all audio clips that are used in the current song open, and relocating with a new name. That works, is great, tidy, and practical. However it doesn't address the sudden issue of when audio files are added to the particular open song, and the folder loses the rename structure. A user might want to rename, and it's folder for traceability, while keeping possible files not completed such as comped tracks. Audio files and that new audio folder should not disrupt that.

It might be when the first audio folder is created within the song? I suspect so, or as mentioned, close.

Also, let's stay clear of minimizing or suggesting one song per folder. I believe it was Tacman7's point during a default folder or template where things can get dicey anyway. This issue is occuring even when following the baseline naming of a song even from song creation withing the Studio One\Songs\xxxxx.song path. That should keep us all on equal ground during checking/testing. Hope that makes sense. My spell check may have converted this to Swahilli ;)

*I name songs 20 to 40 times with a updated suffix, for every song I've ever done, including Pro Tools. It's fundamental instruction even from any legitimate audio schools, and is not part of the issue. I can rename a song 30 times over, and the parent folder renames as well. Add audio tracks, save, so knowing what the latest song file is or lost files shouldn't be an issue. I've never come across one multiple song file issue. If someone is building numerous songs out of the same song, or template, good luck.

(interesting if closing, then opening a song vs immediately renaming causes a problem).

Good discussion from all here. This needs to be addressed :thumbup:

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

34 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2