4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I know this is probably a dumb question. I have two questions.
1. Can you master a song in the project page with a higher sample rate than what it was mixed (and mixed down) at?
2. If so what would be the benefit if any?

I see mastering engineers printing to a separate computer and I always wondered what the point of that was if you can render the master in the DAW that its open in/.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by Jemusic on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 am
If the mastering process involved very high quality analog outboard perhaps then that may be the reason for printing to a separate machine at a higher sample rate.

If the final printed master is being done on the same machine as the premastered track with processing etc then there would not be any real advantage of changing up the sample rate. Unless some of the mastering plugins themselves would benefit from operating at a higher sample rate.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by johnboyd4 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:56 am
Thank you. Makes total sense.

Jemusic wroteIf the mastering process involved very high quality analog outboard perhaps then that may be the reason for printing to a separate machine at a higher sample rate.

If the final printed master is being done on the same machine as the premastered track with processing etc then there would not be any real advantage of changing up the sample rate. Unless some of the mastering plugins themselves would benefit from operating at a higher sample rate.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by mycbeats on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 am
The benefit would be that plugins that don't support "Oversampling" or have a limited multiplier, would now be processing as if they did.
If your song was mixed in 44.1kHz, you could go 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz.

Now whether the miniscule improvement is worth it is up to you.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation

4 posts
Page 1 of 1