9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Newbie here, so have mercy. Pardon me if my terminology is off. I’m using Studio One 3, Addictive Drums 2 and an Alesis Surge eDrum Set. I have mapped the drum pads in Addictive Drums. For mixing purposes, I would like to have each drum kit piece sent to/recorded on its own track in Studio One 3 as I play the drums. How is this done?

Thanks in advance!
by Jemusic on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:37 pm
Do you want the separate channels for Addictive Drums or the Alesis kit. You have not specified.

If its Addictive Drums you are referring to (being triggered from the Alesis kit) then you need to investigate sending out multiple kit pieces to their own mixer channels in Addictive Drums which I presume you can do. Some Addictive Drums users might be able to chime in here and explain how its done.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bobsilver on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 am
Jemusic wrote[1] Do you want the separate channels for Addictive Drums or the Alesis kit. You have not specified.

[2] If its Addictive Drums you are referring to (being triggered from the Alesis kit) then you need to investigate sending out multiple kit pieces to their own mixer channels in Addictive Drums which I presume you can do. Some Addictive Drums users might be able to chime in here and explain how its done.

Thanks for the reply! Apologies for the lack of clarity.

[1] I would like each drum kit piece in Addictive Drums to be separated into their own individual track in Studio One as I play the drum kit live. Essentially, I want to be able to record the drums live and have each drum piece on its own track for mixing purposes.

[2] I am referring to Addictive Drums being triggered by the Alesis kit. I have mapped each drum kit piece in Addictive Drums to a particular drum pad. So, I can play the drums and hear each kit piece in Addictive Drums being triggered as I play. I just don't know how to record the drum pieces in separate tracks in Studio one.

I hope this make sense.
by GMHague on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:23 am
You need to do this in ADD. I've done it a while ago, and its not hard. Just Google separate outputs for ADD and you'll find a bunch of videos. I even found one (from memory) specific to ADD/S1. The small trick is to make those ADD outputs visible in the mixer.
Mind you, after fecking and furting around with those individual output/tracks for hours, I didn't really get results that couldn't be quickly achieved just as good inside the ADD GUI...

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by GMHague on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:54 am
Just remembered, I think. You just click the channel outputs in ADD mixer and you'll get the choice of individual channels. Then you have to tick them in the S1 MIXER to make them visible...

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by bobsilver on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 pm
Thanks for the replies, GMHague!

GMHague wroteYou need to do this in ADD. I've done it a while ago, and its not hard. Just Google separate outputs for ADD and you'll find a bunch of videos. I even found one (from memory) specific to ADD/S1. The small trick is to make those ADD outputs visible in the mixer.
Mind you, after fecking and furting around with those individual output/tracks for hours, I didn't really get results that couldn't be quickly achieved just as good inside the ADD GUI...

I've Googled 'separate outputs for Addictive drums' or something of that nature and have found results specific to S1. However, the results I've found involve sending kit pieces to individual tracks when using pre-programmed beats in AD. That's easy enough. I cannot find instructions on how send the kit pieces from AD to individual tracks in S1 as the edrum kit is being played.

GMHague wroteJust remembered, I think. You just click the channel outputs in ADD mixer and you'll get the choice of individual channels. Then you have to tick them in the S1 MIXER to make them visible...

I've done that, but that just creates a channel for each kit piece, not a track for each piece, so it doesn't create tracks and/or record the pieces to separate tracks when the kit is being played. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I realize there's probably an easy solution to this. Again, I'm a newb, and articulating what I've done so far and what I want to do is problematic. Apologies.
by Jemusic on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:59 pm
I play drums and record live so I don't know all that much about Addictive drums. Is it possible once you have created the individual outputs from Addictive Drums that you then create the audio tracks you need in the arrange window and would the individual outputs from Addictive Drums be available as input sources to the tracks perhaps.

Or another method might be you do play live and record onto a single Instrument track first ie triggering Addictive Drums and then after the recording is made you create the individual outputs for processing in Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garybowling on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 pm
In the AD2 interface, go to the "kit" "edit" for "FX" mode at the top right.

In any of these modes there is a mixer at the bottom with a fader for each drum. So there's a fader for kick, one for snare, etc.

At the very bottom of each fader, there is a little arrow, hit that arrow and select whether you want pre fader, post fader, with or without it going through the master out. Then you can close AD2.

Now in S1, go to the mix window by hitting the mix button at the bottom.

In the lower left of the mix window, click on "Instr." to open the instrument panel.

Then click the dropdown arrow next to AD2 and select "expand"

Now you'll see all the channels and can check each one that you want to show an output. They will appear in your mix window with faders.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by bobsilver on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:39 pm
Thanks for all the replies, folks! I really appreciate it

Jemusic wroteOr another method might be you do play live and record onto a single Instrument track first ie triggering Addictive Drums and then after the recording is made you create the individual outputs for processing in Studio One.

Thanks, Jemusic! This wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it will do the trick. Much appreciated!

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I hope this thread will help anyone else trying to achieve the same thing.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1